Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Anyone know about Apple Time Capsules?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Anyone know much about Apple Time Capsules? We’ve been pretty lucky with storm Arwen and it seems like the only thing that didn’t survive was the Apple Time Capsule. I’ve got it apart but the power pack looks okay. None of the blown capacitors they are known for.

Is it worth trying to get a new power pack for it? Or should I just look for a new back up device?

It served well as our household router and for time machine backups of the occasionally used MacBook. I’ve spent the morning turning out modem back into a router, so that’s covered. Would I just be better off with an external harddrive and stop messing about with this thing?

Also, while unplugging the fan from the board while taking it apart, the connector seems to have come off the board. How hard is that likely to be to repair?

highpeakrider
    Free Member

Not had a working one for ages, moved to a Synology NAS which does Time machine plus a lot more.

https://kb.synology.com/en-uk/DSM/tutorial/How_to_back_up_files_from_Mac_to_Synology_NAS_with_Time_Machine

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve spent quite a bit of time today looking into this.

Even trying to repurpose the HDD into a new enclosure would be £30ish I think. I can get a new Western Digital 2TB for £55.

I love the idea of repair and reuse, but it doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense.

footflaps

I just back up to the cloud now, nearly everyone seems to offer a cloud storage service now eg Amazon / Microsoft as well as Dropbox etc…

slowoldman

It served well as our household router and for time machine backups of the occasionally used MacBook.

If you don’t use the MacBook much and presumably therefore don’t back it up much, I would just go for an external HDD for backups.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know about Apple Time Capsules?’ is closed to new replies.