Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone know a good shrink in Manchester?
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Right,
    I’m a bit of a mess. Not too much, just a bit.
    Without going into it in detail I need a counselor to try and work out why I dislike myself so much and how I can convince myself I am a worthwhile person.

Especially relevant from a job perspective at present.

Anyway, give me a recommendation of who to speak to…

cheers

thegeneralist
    Free Member

oh balls.
    Why can’t I move a post to the right forum when editing it?

See, I’m such a failure 😉

sleepless
    Free Member

not madchester (we are in t’Cumbria)but I used the nhs First steps for sorting me with a strategy for depression. Headway are also good.
    My Doctor was the first port of call though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    marsdenman
    Free Member

I’d recommend looking up those in your area & getting in touch.
    IME, a good one will offer a free consultation session be free giving both sides the opportunity to work out if you’re a good match both in terms of personality and the techniques they use.
    Hope you find a good ‘fit’, and the resolution you’re looking for.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

My Doctor was the first port of call though.

ROFL. Mine would just tell me to take a paracetamol and come back in 2 weeks if it’s not better.

thepurist

CBT is what you’ll probably get from the NHS rather than counselling. They’re very different beasts – I’ve been through both – so maybe do a bit of research to see which way you want to go. Might be an idea to see if MIND have any advice too. Good luck with it.

devash
    Free Member

If your issue is with personal dislike then I’d recommend bypassing the NHS and looking for some private psychotherapy, either Freudian or Jungian.

The NHS, although getting better, is still way behind in terms of techniques to treat depression. Psychotherapy will get straight to the unconscious roots of your issues whereas the NHS approach (combined medication and ‘coping strategies’) will only manage, not cure.

slackalice
    Free Member

Do a search on the BACP site.

Good luck with your journey. Good from bad, every time.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

ROFL. Mine would just tell me to take a paracetamol and come back in 2 weeks if it’s not better.

Change your GP.

thepurist

TBH if you can afford to fund yourself (or find a charitable service) then that will be a better route than the nhs. Nhs support for mental health tends to involve long waiting lists then limited treatment, usually not enough to really make a difference.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The NHS, although getting better, is still way behind

Well considering they published at the turn of the last century it is hardly fair to say not doing these is way behind. Quite the reverse the science has progressed though some cling to the “unconscious” like some religions still cling to demonic possession.

I would avoid any of the “unconscious” ones personally.
    Best of luck whatever you do

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Do a search on the BACP site

I had a look on there and it’s not so clear. There’s an A-Z of all sorts of different types of therapy, none of which I know anything about. It’s like asking the user of a website whether they want to use TCPIP or Named Pipes to submit their search to the database. They don’t have a clue, I don’t have a clue what sort of therapy I want.

Help me out.
    Adlerian Therapy
    B
    Behavioural Therapy
    C
    Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT)
    Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
    Cognitive Therapy
    D
    Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT)
    E
    Eclectic Counselling
    Existential Therapy
    Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
    F
    Family Therapy
    G
    Gestalt Therapy
    H
    Humanistic Therapy
    I
    Integrative Therapy
    M
    Mindfulness
    N
    Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP)
    P
    Person/Client-Centred Therapy
    Primal Therapy
    Psychoanalysis
    Psychodynamic Psychotherapy/Counselling
    Psychosynthesis
    R
    Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy (REBT)
    Re-Birthing
    Relationship Therapy
    S
    Solution-Focused Brief Therapy
    Systemic Therapies
    T
    Transactional Analysis
    Transpersonal Therapy

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I spoke too soon

Cognitive Therapy
    This type of therapy uses the power of the mind to influence behaviour. It is based on the theory that previous experiences can damage self image, which can affect attitude, emotions and an ability to deal with certain situations.

It works by helping the client to identify, question and change poor mental images of themselves, thus steering away from negative responses and behaviour.

Cognitive therapy can help people to view things more optimistically.

Bingo, that’s what we I need.

ourmaninthenorth

Manchester Centre for CBT They’re on Wilmslow Road in Withington (opposite the old fire station). Contact them and they’ll line you up with someone.

I know two people who had good success with them. Not cheap, but better than the alternative….

Good luck and PM me if you want.

slackalice
    Free Member

Well done. The various approaches are confusing, which one is best for you is down to you, although if you don’t know what questions to ask to determine which model will work best for you, then its a minefield. As you have done, find the one which resonates best and start there. CBT is offered on the NHS, although as I say to myself: what price for sanity?

You’re well on the way to sorting yourself out! It will take time, so stick with it – good days and bad days etc.

sleepless
    Free Member

you can do your own google reading on CBT so you have a bit of a clue to what might be good for you, but having a qualified independent counsilor, and a supportive doctor, are worth searching out. Mindfulness is also good common sense approach i.e. you can not change the past, the future isn’t ours yet, so just enjoy the now. easier said than done under stress! Good luck. 😉

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Choosing therapy can be like buying a car,there is a lot out there.
    Each therapy is a vehicle in itself it can take you on a journey but maybe journey is not were you want go.
    Previous poster mentioned mindfulness,i’m a big fan of this as it teaches you to look from the outside in.
    This has been the best vehicle that i have driven.
    Mindfulness doesn’t happen overnight,requires discipline and maybe a good teacher.
    Here is on of the best books on the subject
    Learning Mindfulness is probably the best gift you can give yourself.

You mentioned self loathing,from my undrerstanding maybe inner child therapy might be of interest for you.

All the best with your journey,learning to love yourself is a life long journey. 😉

restless
    Free Member

Look on Counselling Directory, it only lists counsellors who are accredited to a professional body, as there is no national regulation, anyone can call themselves a counsellor.

I personally wouldn’t recommend CBT for your problems as I think you would benefit more from a humanistic (talking, client-led) therapy.

restless
    Free Member

Behavioural therapies include CBT which are ‘teacher-pupil’ based methods of learning techniques.

Humanistic therapies include Person-centred, gestalt, integrative, transactional anaylsis , they are ‘client led’, equal based on the belief that everyone has the ability within themselves to find the resolutions, through exploration and talking with their counsellor.

Psychodynamic therapies are Freudian , ‘expert’ based using your unconscious mind and the counsellors interpretation of your problems.

Hope this helps you understand a little more so you can make an informed choice.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know a good shrink in Manchester?’ is closed to new replies.