Anyone keep fish

Home Forum Chat Forum Anyone keep fish

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone keep fish
  • Premier Icon bryan-g-
    Subscriber

I was given a tank, compressor and filter so I could get the kids fish for Christmas and it’s all up and running with the little fishes swimming away. However the compressor is quite noisy and I am hoping it’s an older one and a new one will be a bit quieter.

psychobiker

When you say compressor I guess you mean airator if thats the case the new ones are whisper quiet. Check what its sitting on, as sound can be transeferred through. Sit it on something softer a rubber mat may help.

Premier Icon bryan-g-
    Subscriber

It’s on rubber feet so it’s not that, maybe it’s just old and fooked

Anyone keep fish

Only if they’re a legal size & reasonably edible, otherwise I chuck them back.

rab5474

My airator has rubber feet also but still makes a racket, it now sits on a mouse mate much more civilised.

muddodger

it’s all up and running with the little fishes swimming away

given our experience with fish, hopefully you didn’t just put the fish into fresh tap water, or the fish will be floating up side down by boxing day, unless they’re gold fish, which are hard as nails!

johndoh

When you say airiator, do you mean filter?

Depending on the species, they shouldn’t be airiated.

Premier Icon JohnClimber
    Subscriber

Does your “compressor” blow air in a 4mm tube into the filter in your tank?

If so they are a little noisy but new ones are quieter, I’m happy with my Tetra air pump http://www.tetra.net/en/en/aquarium/equipment/air-pumps-and-accessories/tetra-aps-aquarienluftpumpen

Have a search on google shops and they are cheap as well

retro83

I inherited a tank which had been neglected at my office. Nitrates well over 250 ppm so f knows how the fish are alive. Filter apparently broken for at least a month as well. When I’ve been doing water changes the old water is visibly brown in colour 😯 looking good now though and the pleco has gotten pretty large
    Here’s what it looked like when I took over. Look at the shite on the bottom! Looks a lot better now but I don’t have pics.

Premier Icon bryan-g-
    Subscriber

I treated the water with what I was told to by the shop and let it sit a couple of days before getting the fish.
    I mean the air pump , it also has a separate filter. They are cold water fish. I have been reading elsewhere some people saying that you don’t need air pumps if the filter is moving the water around.

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

Remember a fish is for life not just for Christmas OP!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone keep fish’ is closed to new replies.