• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mt.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone just seen/heard the Lancaster flying over Sheffield?
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

About 2.30pm, heading Northwest, quite low (it was bloody loud!). Any idea where it might be going? Germany’s the other way and 70 years ago!

Deveron53
    Free Member

It’s VJ day weekend…

EDIT: that’s next weekend.

MartynS

Rhyl/Blackpool airshows….

JohnnyPanic

Dunno but 2 weeks ago saw the Red Arrows in two x V5 flight formation going south over Ladybower.

selaciosa
    Free Member

There was one over Woodvale Rally today nr Southport with a couple of Spitfires

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No, but I did see a lady with an inordinately large bottom in the pub earlier.

singletrackmind

Got to talk to WW2 airman this morning . He flew De Haviland fighter bombers then converted to Mosquito’s . He was stationed in Suffolk and part of an interceptor squadron made up of a mix of Canadian and English airman .
    For a 92 year old he was clearly switched on, and although couldn’t recall the bases he served at I fully believed him, as he sped off on his electric wheelchair.

JohnnyPanic

No, but I did see a lady with an inordinately large bottom in the pub earlier.

Was it quite low, heading northwest?

skiboy
    Free Member

we’ve had two spits over bletchley park today one at around 1230pm the over around 3pm, great stuff

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Was it quite low, heading northwest?

Sadly, I think it was heading South. 😐

Deveron53
    Free Member

mmmmm, Mosquitos…

The most effective bomber of ww2, discuss.

2 man crew (rather than 10+ manning all the guns etc), fastest twin engined aircraft of most of the war (almost twice as fast as all heavy bombers). bombload only slightly smaller than a B17 (look it up, it’s true!). Very cheap to produce. Highly accurate and difficult to shoot down (very high speed, low altitude, small radar cross-section).

And it was made by a composite sandwich construction method (yep, open target for trolls there, obvious lame jokes to follow below) the forerunner of today’s composite carbon methods.

Just remembered, maddest version had a self-loading field gun in the nose for anti-shipping.

dr_adams
    Free Member

maddest version had a self-loading field gun in the nose for anti-shipping.

EPIC! lovely plane to look at,

Gary_C

It flew over Blackburn mid-afternoon, heard the unmistakeable sound of Merlin engines, dashed outside just intime to see it heading westwards.

Deveron53
    Free Member

stw forum suddenly becomes the ROC!

Russell96

Last flying Mossie used to be based at Broughton so used to hear it quite regular on test flights/off to airshows, beautiful sound, still miss it 🙁

Andy-W
    Free Member

I was at Langsett just about to set off over cut-gate and it came towards me from what looked like the ladybower/derwent res area

fantastic sight 🙂

Bimbler
    Free Member

Quite often see the Lancaster(s?) I think I’m on the Duxford-London flightpath – I think they just follow the A10, but saw this yesterday flying slower and lower than the Lancasters fly, pretty impressive though doesn’t sound as good.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I was in the garden a couple of weeks ago and this cruised overhead – I almost wet myself with excitement. Somehow I managed to grab my camera…

mt
    Free Member

I saw it on it’s was north. I was on Flight Ln above Hade Edge, it was low and pretty noisy. I was so impressed I stopped the bike and watched it fly by, as said it was low and seemed to be trying to miss the rain coming in from the west. Just imagine 50 or 100 in the air at the same time.
    Was just getting home about 2 hours later and it passed over on it’s way back. Have see Lancasters before even been in a Shackleton but am always impressed when I see one.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone just seen/heard the Lancaster flying over Sheffield?’ is closed to new replies.