Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 168 total)
  • Anyone in a job they actually enjoy?
  • bassspine
    Free Member

Bikeability instructor.

Hell on wheels some days admittedly, but it's the job from heaven more often. Loads of cycling, loads of time meeting new people. Extremely rewarding.

Nonsense
    Free Member

I'm a secret squirrel.

badblood
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – whats the crack with this then, keep seeing the adverts but think it is a bit too good to be true – nned something pdq and keep thinking about this

MrSpud

Nope – real estate lawyer in the "City".

Was thinking earlier on I should post on here to see what other more interesting stuff people do to buy more bikes.

Any suggestions…

crikey
    Free Member

Intensive Care Charge nurse here, somedays I love it, some days it makes me frustrated, some days it makes me angry, some days it makes me sad.

Overall I like my job, and I like to think I try as hard as I can to be as good as I can.

pennine
    Free Member

Almost 40 years in the transport industry and still enjoying it. No two days are the same with lots of variety and problem solving. Numerous managerial positions over the years but lately logistical planning & SQL development work. Oh! and one of our customers is the Daily Mail 🙄

pappamoomin01
    Free Member

I work in a bike shop where I do every type of job. I love it. The pay is low but the satisfaction really is immense. Plus, I get to meet lots of likeminded people and chat about their biking tales. Awesome job!!!
    And of course the bonuses and perks are great. Plus your mates will always love ya for your trail side mechanic skills.

Fozlett

Gave up a reasonable (but not very exciting!) marketing job to start a Cafe 2U franchise just over a year ago with my missus.

Overall we're loving it – loads of nice customers, work in the outdoors every day and get to sup top coffee whenever we fancy!!!!!

Haribo
    Free Member

work with the Scottish environment agency essentially as an inspector of medium to large industrial plant.

its great as some days its like being in a "hows it made" programme can be more than a bit beurocratic though.

like to think some times i make a difference

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

FE Lecturer – enjoy wouldn't be the first word that springs to mind.

davesmum
    Free Member

Controls system engineer… good variation, get paid to drive nice cars, and get to travel the world 🙂

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I am a Quality Engineer for a Pnuematics Company – we seem to have a finger in every pie imaginable.
    I currently oversee the Quality issues that affect our production or in turn effect our Customers productivity. Currently I am the QE for a Brewery Section…simple..and… a Medical Section…not so simple. I am Customer facing also and get to go to interesting companies on a regular basis. I also decide what I am going to do on any given day as we are self motivated – this adds a degree of freedom rarely seen in other departments within the company. Also I converse with people all over the globe. I love my job but think the company I work for could show better appreciation for its willing and very clever workforce.

rangeroy
    Free Member

Park Ranger, get free bikes,clothing, tools & all the stress in the world :-)live & work in Todmorden area only downside ride with a yeti owner. todays highlight had a robin feeding out of my hand 7 my car sailed thru it's MOT & the plumber fixed the boiler & the sun shone!!

trailmonkey

bassspine – Member
    Bikeability instructor.

………………………………………. Extremely rewarding.

In every way except financially 😉

mccett
    Free Member

Funny the OP mentioned fire brigade, yep great job, every day is different and the best bit about it is that people who require our services tend to be pleased to see you. Cant say that for most jobs i did previously.

Worst job i ever had was in a bike shop, that were soul destroying. It could well have been that particular bike shop though.

iDave
    Free Member

i source cashmere for fashion labels – love it

and a few other biz development/marketing related things – love it

all i need to do is make a shit load more money and it will be a perfect situation

ronjeremy
    Free Member

In my free time from my day job as a rep, I work with for a mate's company, doing Sales and Marketing, (mostly evenings and weekends)

it is very very much fun

oh nsfw (maybe)

rich_tee
    Free Member

I'm a gardener, for myself.
    I've been doing it for a year and it's great.
    Hard work getting clients and all that but very different and rewarding.

Didn't someone say, If you do a job you love, you need never do a day's work again, or something like that

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

Motorcycle instructor, I get to ride my bike all day and i love the sense of achievement from getting people out on two wheels.

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

Work in a bike shop. It's great fun 😀

DavidB
    Free Member

I run a team of geeks. It's just like the IT crowd but shit loads of stress and deadlines. Kid myself that I hate it, but really it's fun.

GJP
    Free Member

I work in the 'not for profit' sector – otherwise known as an Airline.

It's a fascinating and incredibly complex industry and they say that once you smell the kerosene you are hooked and there is a certain amount of truth in that – I have been with the same company for close on 16 years now.

I generally enjoy it – but I do often wonder what it would be like to work in a generally profitable industry sector where you are not rolling from one major world crisis into the next.

john_drummer
    Free Member

yeah, it's alright I suppose. beats doing something crappy

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Love mine, I'm a workshy freeloader with a great pension 😀

grazedknees
    Free Member

I am a Physio.
    I work for myself (so choose the hours my clinic is open) and have never had a day that I did not want to go to work. 🙂

I treat lots of competitive cyclists and love the fact that my hobby is part of my job!

Smudger666

Salesman, I mean 'technical sales executive' in the domestic renewable energy sector.

love the meeting people, coming up with solution based sales.

hate the miles on the road (36,000/11 months and counting) and the 'box shifting' sales.

lcj

Solicitor

Utterly rubbish hours, repetitive and largely unrewarding work.

But I do work with some nice people.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Me, prison officer. Quite enjoy working with prisoners as some of them are fascinating creatures (probly like working in a zoo) The prison system/managers/admin etc is TOTAL BOLLIX, & is the hardest part of the job.

woodey
    Free Member

Another salesman, or "European business develoment manager" for a software company that sells diagnostic systems to telecoms companies.
    I spend most of my time in Switzerland,Austria and Italy (and I do take my bike along), meet lots of cool people and travel to interesting places. Pay is pretty good too.

However,the constant pressure, corporate politics and working with developers can be challenging.

Love it now but won't be doing it after I'm 40 (34 now)

mikertroid
    Free Member

RAF Pilot. Keeps me smiling.

falkirk-mark

I work in the oil industry ,after 12 years i still do not mind getting out of bed.pay is good and I hope to be doing it for years to come. workmates are all sound (no arseholes) suppose if I was being picky there could be a bit more eyecandy .

sherry
    Free Member

I'm a senior Operating Department Practitioner (ODP). I'm very happy in my work, can be long days with on calls etc but its very rewarding when there are good outcomes and I get to meet some fantastic people.

Haribo
    Free Member

wonders where falkirk mark works in the oil industry lol

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

'RAF Pilot. Keeps me smiling'

Jammy tw*t!
    Nice one though.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My SO is a paediatric staff nurse on a kids orthopaedics & burns unit at Leeds GI, funnily enough, she can't wait to go to work every shift!
    (might be something I said)

Mof
    Free Member

Some great sounding jobs on here… I used to enjoy mine but it's all going tit's up at the moment and at age 50, a radical change is daunting but I think it's going to have to happen. Geologist… now that's a job I KNOW I'd love. If I ever come back in the next life, I'm going to get a proper educashun and be a Geologist. Some sort of research scientist or naturalist would be good too… For some reason I also really fancied being a TV Camera operator when I was young…but was really hard to find out anything about it at the time.

druidh
    Free Member

Lackey in a Bike shoppe. Great fun and if it wasn't I'd just leave.

polarisandy
    Free Member

GP/AED/MRT/BASICS/Expedition doctor

good wage/variety/pension/travel
    Meet and help general public.
    Great transferable skills, work almost anywhere in world.

Same applies to varying degrees with allied careers i.e. nursing/paramedic etc etc

downsides -50hr week minimum (soon to change…..) NHS management/staff shortages/exponentially increasing workload and expectation/appraisal/shifts

for ME, can't imagine another job that ticks as many boxes

Love it, sorry if this offends anyone.

Oh and second the "jammy **** RAF pilot" comment

falkirk-mark

Haribo are you coming to visit (audit) me soon 😕

swamp_boy

Self employed tree man. Long hours, but I choose them. Sole trader so no directors, no line managers and, best of all, no employees. Some days I can't believe I get paid for it, some days are awful, but I'd still never go back to a proper job.

One day I'll work out how to spell arboriculturalist.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘Anyone in a job they actually enjoy?’ is closed to new replies.