Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone ice climb? Amazing video…
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Might be thwe same one doing the rounds on facebook, haven’t watched it yet. reminds me of this classic pic

thegeneralist
    Free Member

assuming that video is the one of Gadd’s partner on a collapsing ice fall, I didn’t rate it much. Very much hype over substance. It’s amazing he survived but the video itself isn’t that amazing.

I personally really like this one. It’s really understated, no hype. Just somebody calmly doing the right thing and saving someone elses life. The emotions on the guy’s face afterwards are great.
    Just in time.

Shame the name of the video gives it away. The first time I saw it it had a different caption which was much better.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thegeneralist
    Free Member

Love the picture of Elliot’s by the way. Absolute classic.

footflaps

I personally really like this one. It’s really understated, no hype. Just somebody calmly doing the right thing and saving someone elses life. The emotions on the guy’s face afterwards are great.
    Just in time.

Shame the name of the video gives it away. The first time I saw it it had a different caption which was much better.

Excellent video. One very lucky guy!

Slogo
    Free Member

Ive done it a few times. totally loved it, It was as good as a sky dive.

bokonon
    Free Member

Of those, the one posted by the generalist scares the life out of me more than the OP – because it’s inside the realms of possibility that I might climb something like that (and indeed, have done) climbing free-standing ice pillars isn’t something most people do in the UK – slushy snow ice over streams of water is ten a penny!

Garry_Lager

bokonon – Member

Of those, the one posted by the generalist scares the life out of me more than the OP – because it’s inside the realms of possibility that I might climb something like that (and indeed, have done) climbing free-standing ice pillars isn’t something most people do in the UK – slushy snow ice over streams of water is ten a penny! Great vid. I’ve never ice climbed – is it one of those situations where he’s committed to something, it’s steadily going pear-shaped and he can’t back out? He seems exhausted, like he needs to park up and take a breather, but I guess the ice is too poor to let that happen?

The other clip was reminiscent of Gareth Barry at the weekend – if it ain’t broke, hit it till is.

bokonon
    Free Member

I’ve never ice climbed – is it one of those situations where he’s committed to something, it’s steadily going pear-shaped and he can’t back out? He seems exhausted, like he needs to park up and take a breather, but I guess the ice is too poor to let that happen?

Absolutely – when you are climbing ice/snow then there comes a point when you can’t put protection in – compact* rock, poor ice, steepening up and generally getting a bit scary all mean it becomes less and less likely. You often get into a situation where stopping to put protection in means your calves are screaming and your arms hurt, but just carrying on is ok – despite the fact this puts you further and further off the deck. You tend to only take a breather where there is some kind of reasonable belay, or at least something flat to stand on, no matter how small.

*this is the euphemism guide books use for rock with no cracks and very little to use for protection.

leffeboy

The second link is definitely people you would want to be climbing with. No panic, just doing stuff calmly

peterfile
    Free Member

there comes a point when you can’t put protection in – compact* rock, poor ice, steepening up and generally getting a bit scary all mean it becomes less and less likely.

Worst feeling in the world.

But when you finally get something in…best feeling in the world 🙂

martinhutch

Generalist – that was the video I immediately thought of posting. One of the most amazing things on Youtube – you don’t often see someone saving someone’s life.

jamiea
    Free Member

Just in time.

If I saw the amount of liquid ice running down the route from the bottom, I certainly wouldn’t have given it a go.

I can’t imagine how he felt once what happened sank in in the pub that night 😯

Cheers,
    Jamie

peterfile
    Free Member

One of the most amazing things on Youtube – you don’t often see someone saving someone’s life.

Is there more info about that video, e.g. an interview with the climber etc? I know it says a “near fatal fall” etc, but who’s to say he didn’t have something in just out of shot?

liquid ice

that’s a very fancy way for saying water 🙂

MrNice
    Free Member

not seen the second one before. Just the sounds of his axes hitting that slush made my sphincter clench. what was he thinking?

footflaps

I know it says a “near fatal fall” etc, but who’s to say he didn’t have something in just out of shot?

Who knows, you never know if the gear will hold till you test it….

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Despite a lot of rock climbing experience, I’ve no ice climbing experience, but if I’d arrived at that “ice” I would be looking for an alternative way up (or down) 😯

Reminds me a little of climbing at Etive Slabs on a beautiful warm summer’s day. On the last – run out – slab pitch it began to rain, rendering the ace friction anything but. I was so thankful there was a party above us to throw a top rope down. I’d even put socks over my boots, old-skool style, to increase my chances of sticking 😆

nedrapier

This is worth a watch. It’s a bit marmite, but I enjoyed it.

jamiea
    Free Member

This is worth a watch. It’s a bit marmite, but I enjoyed it.
    http://vimeo.com/40379197

Awsome!

Cheers,
    Jamie

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My first experiences of seconding winter climbing this season, including some frozen waterfalls on the routes. Thoroughly enjoying it (apart from unbelievable painful hot-rushes in the hands). Climbing free-standing icicles looks very strenuous indeed!

My lead says “winter leading is soloing”. Rather him than me!

stever
    Free Member

Nothing like as steep as that but I was once soloing above Red Tarn and the post on my crampon snapped leaving a stupid collection of sharp objects flapping around my ankle. Then the ice started giving way to the thawing stuff underneath. I got out easy enough, but it was memorable.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ice climb? Amazing video…’ is closed to new replies.