Anyone holidayed in Slovenia?

Home Forum Chat Forum Anyone holidayed in Slovenia?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone holidayed in Slovenia?
  • eruptron

Anyone been on holiday to Slovenia. looking for a chilled trip scenery bit of pottering.
    Any recommendations?

I’ve cycled toured round it. Its a lovely place. In and around Bled or Bovec would be worth a look a day or two in the capital would be nice as well.

Ewan

Yes, I’ve been there for the last two years – beautiful and the people are lovely. We’ve stayed in Bled both times, but the country is so small you can go anywhere really…

Went there back in the day (1980) when it was all Yugoslavia.

Had a Ski holiday at Bohinj, its a stunning place.

Triglav national park is an outdoor playground, enjoy.

eruptron

Cheers Guys looking to go in the summer. Most of the reviews are positive. looked at Bled which looks nice. How easy is it to get around with or without a car?

globalti

Fact: Eric Newby (Last Grain Race, Short Walk in the Hindu Kush) married a Slovenian caled Wanda.

flipiddy

We spent 5 days in total, split between Ljubljana, Bohinj (inc. Slap Savica) and Bled. Highly recommended – we found the locals all to be some of the friendliest we have ever met on our travels. A hire car was a must for us, especially exploring some of the back roads, which were a great experience in themselves. It had snowed recently (later march) which made the trip even more magical.

Best holiday ever, actually.

boblo

globalti – Member
    Fact: Eric Newby (Last Grain Race, Short Walk in the Hindu Kush) married a Slovenian caled Wanda.

….and she then went on to star in the John Cleese film; “A Fish Called Wanda”….. 😉

anus

eruptron – i lived there for a 9 months last year so saw a lot of the country! got a whoooole load of places i can recommend to visit and advice etc… ill give you a decent run down at lunch as not got too much time now but check out some places like…

bled :(touristy)
    bohinj
    Vintgar (big gorge really cool)
    nanos (the s has a little upside down hat on it for spelling)
    piran (by the coast)

ill look at the map again and remember some more places!

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

Been twice.

Bovec and the Soca valley was scenic, with a selection of activities (MTBing, Canoeing, Canyoning, Paragliding, etc.)
    Over pass to Kranjska Gora was fun (52 hairpins of burning clutch one way, and burning brakes the other side. That old lady must in front have had a very long brake pedal by the end!)
    Bled/Bohinj – stopped there for lunch (bit touristy and expensive, and impossible to park)
    Ljubljana was a public holiday when I was there so everything shut.
    Maribor – nice cake place, did road riding and easy/hilly/lift-assisted fireroad riding.
    Jamnica/Mezica – stayed at the MTB hotel that’s been in ST mag – recommended, as is the ride through the old lead mine.

eruptron

Cheers guys plenty to mull over there. Sounds like we won’t be disappointed.

Premier Icon Trekster
    Subscriber

Been to both Bovec and Bohinj and would happily go back anytime. We went on package holidays so no car, just walked a lot, hired bikes or went kayaking. Lots of activity providers in Bovec. Not a big choice in Bohinj but you can swim(naked!)in the lake, go up into the mountains in the ski gondola, hire bikes and tour local attractions.
    Day trip to Bled left us unimpressed 🙄

mechmonkey

Bovec and the Soca valley was scenic, with a selection of activities (MTBing, Canoeing, Canyoning, Paragliding, etc.)
    Over pass to Kranjska Gora was fun

+1
    Drove south from Villach, Austria into Slovenia over the Wurzen pass. Steepest road I have ever driven on, can’t remember the gradient but ground my way up it(Just looked it up, 18%). Pitched tent and slept next to an old abandoned tank on the summit/border. Had driven from Amsterdam that day so slept well.

Down through Kranjska Gora and up over the Vrsic pass(built by the Russian POWs) into the Soca valley. Arriving down into the upper regions of that valley early morning as the sun came over the mountains was properly beautiful. There is a viewpoint where I brewed my morning soup and sat with a cigarette for an hour, great view of the Julian alps. A feeling and sight I won’t be forgetting anytime soon.

Spent time in Bovec, rode some of the surrounding trails and Kanin bike park. The guys from OutdoorFreaks that I rode with were super chilled and good company. Further down the river has some pretty idylic spots too for quiet camping and kayaking etc.

Triglavs nice too and all of the national park will keep you busy for time with hiking riding scenery galore. Didn’t quite have the same quiet hidden valley appeal for me though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone holidayed in Slovenia?’ is closed to new replies.