Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone here work in insurance? Critical Illness cover question…
  • sc-xc

You may remember about 18 months ago that my wife had a stroke. Now the dust has settled, I have finally got round to looking at our insurances.

We have been paying into critical illness policies for about 11 years, and the insurer has sent us a claim form.

On the face of it, it seems that she has a good case for a claim (documented stroke, permanent damage – anomic aphasia). Is it really that simple?

Some people have told us that these types of policy have tightened up in the last couple of years – but claiming against a policy of our age should be straightforward. Should I allow myself to believe that she will get a lump sum?!

nedrapier

Best way to find out – read the policy wording. Should be in Plain English, (I think?) so not too much legalese and stuff.

You should definitely read it before submitting a your claim. You can make sure you express things in the right way, concentrate on the right aspects. Not lying obviously, just making sure you’re giving them the information they need in the format they’re expecting it.

jekkyl

I sell this insurance. even the most basic of policies cover stroke so if your wife has unfortuantely suffered from one and your doctor would back that up then it would be pretty clear cut that the policy will pay out.
    Might there be any aside for hubbys new bike? 😉

jekkyl

also, check the company the policy is with out on http://www.defaqto.com/home/
    I think they have figures on there about payout %tages

nedrapier

Sorry if that sounded a bit short. Pretty rubbish thing to happen. Not so good at finding the right words, typing over on the internet.

I think if you’re paying monthly into a policy, they can’t change the conditions? Or do they have to write you, give you the option of cancelling? Don’t know about that, soory? Will you have kept all your correspondence?

And it will depend ont eh company, like any nosurance, some like to stand by their name, their word and do what’s right, others like to save money by not paying claims if they can possibly help it.

nedrapier

Hooray! Facts while I was typing!

sc-xc

Cheers guys. The company is in the 5 star bracket in the above link, and the form seems pretty straight forward. This could be interesting!

deano8
    Free Member

I do hope your wife is now recovering well. About 2 years ago I queried my cover after 18 months of having my stroke at 39. My wife had hassled me to call them as she thought I wouldn’t be covered unless I informed them.
    Both told me if there was evidence of the stroke it was covered by the insurance. A few months later = no mortgage and less stress .
    The companies were Scottish Provident and Legal and General, they were very efficient once forms were sent out.

sc-xc

Cheers deano, sounds like the same situation we’re in. It’s L&G – and they have been very positive so far.

It’s a life changing sum of money….

dannybgoode

Critical illness definitions have tightened up considerably but it is the definitions that apply to the policy in force that matter and they can’t be amended retrospectively.

Insurers are far less awkward about paying out genuine life and CI claims than they are say motor or household (although it does happen from time to time).

Good luck with the claim and don’t forget if you aren’t happy with the outcome you can always go to the FOS to adjudicate but it doesn’t sound like that will be necessary in this case.

Cheers

Danny B

sc-xc

Cheers danny. Obviously would prefer this to have not happened, and we never even made the connection between the stroke (which we are trying to forget) and the insurance. Seems surreal.

sc-xc

Well, yesterday, the good people at Legal & General confirmed the claim. £110k will be finding its way into our bank over the next couple of days 😯

thegreatape
    Free Member

😯 indeed! Hope it’s a great help for you and your wife. All the best.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Well, yesterday, the good people at Legal & General confirmed the claim. £110k will be finding its way into our bank over the next couple of days

That’s fantastic news, not the stroke obviously, it’s good to hear that there’s still some insurance companies who’ll do what they’re meant to and pay out on claims rather than trying to weasel their way out of it.

I hope your wife’s rehab is going well.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Lend us a tenner 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here work in insurance? Critical Illness cover question…’ is closed to new replies.