Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone here proficient with PowerBI?
  • Premier Icon TheFlyingOx

I’ve been given the task of producing a report using PowerBI and it’s been a bit of a case of “we’ve installed it on your PC, get on with it”. I’m in Israel, support is in Houston, getting a time when support and I are both on-shift is proving difficult.

I’ve got almost all of it done but I’m stuck creating a 30-day rolling average for a few datapoints. Trying to use the quick measure function. The problem seems to be that for each datapoint I have a number of results all recorded under the same date & time. PowerBI doesn’t like this but doesn’t really say why, and I have no real idea how else to approach the problem.

Any ideas?

Premier Icon cynic-al

Is an excel export and doing it that way viable?

We do that when Power BI doesn’t work for us.

Premier Icon TheFlyingOx

Data comes from an SQL Server populated by our LIMS software, so I don’t think it’s going to end up being that simple

Premier Icon cynic-al

Ah ok, ours is all on Dynamics. Good luck 😊

Premier Icon thepurist

Welcome to the joys of DAX. When you say it doesn’t like it are you getting an error when you define the measure or is it just producing daft results?

Premier Icon TheFlyingOx

Getting an error that’s date related. Not on that computer at the moment so can’t say exactly what it is.

I *think* I might be getting somewhere in the ‘Transform Data’ bit, grouping things together by type and date and analysis type. Can I add a custom column and use DAX in the pop-up formula box?

Premier Icon thepurist

You can use DAX for a calculated column but remember the context will be limited to the current row – though often that makes it easier!

Premier Icon rogermoore

Yes, you can do that (custom column in Transform then do a measure or calculated column on it) When you get the error post it up. The quick measures are good when they work and to get started but a rolling 30 day avg might be out if their reach.
    RM.

Premier Icon TheFlyingOx

It’ll be tomorrow now, I’m off shift. Ta for the comments so far, got at least the bare bones of an idea now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.