Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Anyone here lost their driving license?
  • jekkyl

Move house somewhere more urban?

iolo
    Free Member

I live in Vienna some of the year and that wouldn’t be a problem. Wales is the only problem for me but I love it. I moved house last February so am not moving again.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Iolo, how about an electric bike? Would that get you through the distance aspect in Wales? No licence required too. Disability/ motorbility? Worth looking into, could pay for some other form of transport if they do revoke your licence?

maccruiskeen

How relevant it might be in this instance I’m not sure but… As much as certain conditions are notifiable you can also be assessed for you fitness to drive in light of a condition. The NHS have driver assessment centres, I had to go to one at the beginning of the year when some nerve trouble was effecting my movement/sensation in my legs and feet

The assessment is quite interesting – a bit of a catch-all because you could be referred for all sorts of reasons – so you have eye tests, reaction tests, memory tests, perception, spacial awareness, reasoning, counting backwards from 143 in 7s, I was even asked what day it was….. and got it wrong. You have a physical, your reaction speeds and hand/foot strengths are tested in a driving simulator, then you get a driving test in a controlled environment and finally another on the road.

I didn’t have to prove any of these things to get a licence so its quite startling to have to such scrutiny in order to keep it.

Anyway the point of the exercise is to get an valid, expert, measured test of your fitness to drive and for decisions about whether you can remain licensed and insured based on that rather and the DVLA and insurers notified accordingly.

bruk

Crashed my dad’s car into a tree when I was 17 and had a couple of seizures in the ambulance.

Cue loss of licence for 1 year. (Never had another seizure(touch wood))

Was on phenobarbital for a period too. Regained my licence on a temporary basis after 1 year with a 3 year review before being given full licence again.

Was difficult for part of the time as was meant to be doing work experience on farms etc during holidays from uni and meant I cycled quite a bit, used my old mans caravan to stay in sometimes close to where I had to be.

Also difficult explaining to people why you could drive but not on the roads without going through whole thing.

Speak to the medics because they may be able to advise timescales for earliest return etc.

timba
    Free Member

I had a few weeks where the DVLA medical branch got worked up over my LGV/PCV licence renewal (medical every 5 years when you hit 45)

Ultimately it’s for a good reason (although I didn’t see it like that) My licence was eventually renewed as usual

Get the treatment that you need and get expert opinion if you need to

Best wishes

ji
    Free Member

Friend of mine lost his a while ago after some serious seizures. Works about 40 mile away from home (also in very rural area, so no public transport), but for the last year or two has been getting taxis paid for (I assume via the govt) to get to and from work.

Might be worth asking your GP about similar options for you?

cr500dom
    Free Member

I lost mine over 20 years ago when I was Young and stupid and not in a very good place.
    I deserved to lose it, I am deeply thankful that no one was hurt during the period of my life that Preceded the ban.

I cycled everywhere for 2.5 years and I was the fittest I had ever been.

I know its a different situation (And location) but what I was getting at is, you get used to it very quickly and it soon just becomes the way you live your life.

roper
    Free Member

I was under the impression you can drive with bp as long as you have not been sectioned within 12 months. This applies to all types of the illness.
    Have you checked on the Bipolar Uk forum? They have a few knowledgable people on there who have been in similar situations.
    Either way I hope you are OK.

monksie
    Free Member

Iolo- I’ve still got mine and my insurance, as far as I can tell is pretty much as it should be. Fully comp. 1.3 hatch back. South Manchester / Cheshire. £240 a year with 8 years NCB. I’ve been to P2 a few times as well. No concerns.

barkm
    Free Member

I was diagnosed rapid cycling bipolar and hospitalized for a period, it’s several years ago now, but never once lost my driving license. I did have HGV entitlement though which I did lose, but car licence was never interrupted.
    That said, you will get a shorter licence. Once I notified DVLA I had to immediately surrender the licence ( you can still drive whilst they do their medical checks), they got a report from GP and consultant, then it was re-issued sans HGV, but for a year only. You have to re-apply each year (doesn’t cost anything).

If you’re good, you will eventually get a progressively longer license, I’m up to 3 years, just re-applied.

Obviously ymmv, it will ultimately depend on your medical records, I’ve never heard of anyone losing a license for bipolar depression though.

biglee1

I lost mine earlier this year for a few months for medical reasons too. A PITA I agree, I work shifts as well but got into a car school with colleagues 😀
    Id also consider an electric bike for those days where the commute is a pain, I was weighing one up if my licence wasnt making an appearance for much longer 😀
    Did wonders for my fitness mind 😀

Good luck and I feel your frustrations 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

Great, I’ve lost my license.
    Now I’m stuck in the middle of nowhere in Snowdonia.
    I’m so happy.

scotroutes

Bugger!
    Given it’s on medical grounds is there any local support available to assist you?

bearnecessities

Argh, pants. Sorry to hear that..

You’ll adapt though fella….stoopid humans have a weird way of being able to deal with changes somehow, as you yourself know.

Can you ride a horse? Or a pig?

mrchrispy

pretend there has been a zombi-pocalypses and hunker down.

Houns

Look at the positives

You’re stuck in the middle of nowhere in Snowdonia

jekkyl

bad luck fella, do you need your car to earn?

MrNice
    Free Member

Bad news 🙁

I don’t have any magic solution to offer (as demonstrated by my comments earlier on this thread!) just some sympathy. I can’t remember why you said you’re not using a bike at the moment but if that’s out I guess you’re going to need to look at getting lifts. I know that’s difficult.

Or what bearnecessities said about farm animals. There are plenty of sheep around. A particularly burly sheep might be of use. Or could a small flock carry a sedan chair?

hels
    Free Member

Got any kids ? My first dad lost his licence for two years when I was in 6th and 7th form. Gave me a part-time job driving him around, in his brand new car. Even went halvers on the huge speeding fine. Result for me, not so good for him.

iolo
    Free Member

No kids or farm animals unfortunately.

roper
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that. I presume you are going to appeal the decision, unless you feel unsafe.
    Can you get an independent Pdoc assessment to help?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Never had one to lose! 😆 I live in a city though, so don’t really feel the desire to get one, I can cycle, walk, get the bus or train everywhere easily enough.

Guess I might feel different if I drove and then list the ability.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here lost their driving license?’ is closed to new replies.