Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Anyone here live/lived in Perth, Australia?
  • neilco
    Free Member

Am considering a move out there from the UK / Denmark. What do I need to consider? I’d be moving on a work sponsored visa and pay would be OK. Is the price of living truly horrific? What parts of the city should I be considering for living in? What is family life like (I have a three year old daughter)? What do you do at the weekends? How much do cars cost? Etc.

Thanks.

marcus7
    Free Member

marmoset does if you search for him on here….

Pigface
    Free Member

Lived there for 2 years in the late 80’s nothing I say will be relevant. Good luck if you go for it.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

No, but my half brother does and he loves it. Totally. So does my mum when she goes there. Not much help, but I’ve heard nothing but good great stuff

andy3809
    Free Member

It’s great, did 3 years living in nedlands/cottesloe. The prices you get used to quicker than living in the middle of nowhere, you really are isolated in Perth.

Beaches, lifestyle and biking all great

jambalaya
    Free Member

Pretty remote and they have a problem attracting and retaining Australians who would prefer to be on the east coast. Hence generally they are trying to attract expats. Lifestyle could work well for you with a young family as I imagine you are not so interested in “sophisticated city life”, plenty of leisure opportunies and Margaret River area very nice. 4-5 hour flight to Asia so you can explore there a buit too. More expensive than you think as Australia has done well being a commodity based economy but cheaper than large East Coast cities.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Cost of living is no better or worse than the UK. Some things are pricier, some cheaper. Wages are better. As a family we’re better off.

We live in Spearwood atm, about 10 mins out of Freo. Spent a couple of years living there across the road from Little Creatures brewery.

Internet is atrocious but not a deal breaker. Spend so much time outdoors. Hot summers and relatively mild winter. Mountain biking is good but you have to travel, but it’s getting better all the time, some great little routes and trails.

Cars: Bought a 2011 X-Trail CVT. Cost me 20k and financed through work. All of the car related expenses get paid from a credic card that’s deducted from my pre-tax wages so essentially petrol and servicing etc is tax free. I get paid 3.5k a fortnight (yeah we get paid fortnightly!) before tax. My wife has her own business 2 days a week, we have a dog and a 2.5 year old son, and another on the way. House costs us $450 a week and we have a 1400m2 block with a huge established garden.

We get a crazy amount of annual leave, plus public holidays. Every fortnight I get 2 hours added onto my ADO (accrued days off) which add up to leave or I can cash them in (same as leave). 15 days sick. Personal leave days too. After 10 years I can take 3 months long service leave full pay, or 6 months half pay.

Drivers are generally terrible. Zero awareness. No space when they go past. Often shout abuse at you. Kids driving V8 utes. Not ideal. Loads of cycle paths but often covered in glass.

28c at the moment at work.

Overall very happy here and no plans to come back to UK (even with the impending mother in law arriving for THREE MONTHS!!!

Anything you wanna know drop me an email

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I’ve been in Perth for two and a bit years now. I work in Exploration (mining industry) so on a reasonable wage and my standard of living is pretty good and bestter than when I was living in the uk however I still consider the cost of living to be quite high, especially the cost of renting anywhere near Perth CBD.

There are things I like about Perth, the weather is pretty good etc

But there are a lot of things that irritate or niggle. The general background casual racism, ignorance or plain hatred of immigrants (from a country of immigrants…) the inability to drive to any kind of standard.

I came out here on my own and have found it very difficult to get settled and make friends etc, part of this is be cause I work away a lot but as friendly as the aussies are I’ve always found hard to make new friends out here. In fact I can count on one hand the number of people I would call friends and most of those are ex-pats. I guess if you move with a family and have children in school etc that will be less of a problem.

If you don’t get a car through work as above then the costs on them can be expensive. The purchase price of a car out here is relatively high and they seem to hold there value. You regularly see sheds out here that would a be a couple of hundred quid in the uk for sale for a couple of thousand dollars.

The police are pretty militant. There isn’t a ‘10% over’ allowance over here you speed and you will get a ticket for as little as 3km over a 60km limit. Road llayout is ok, traffic is often heavy not helped by the australian inability to move to the left lane, especially the freeway. Apparently the idea is pick a speed (way below the limit) pick whichever lane you like and stick to it and **** everyone else. And iif you do change lane only indicate when you get there.

Riding wise, if you are a avid downhiller then don’t bother. There are a couple of local spots but there are fairly flat. One of the better spots only 1.5hrs from Perth is being felled and then the next closest places are 2-3hrs away. The only bonus being is you can shuttle them which beats walking.

Trail riding I havent done much but there is much more available than DH. Its hard work in the heat of summer and you’ll have to get used to riding on pea gravel (basically small round death gravel)

I don’t think I’ll stay permanently. Yes I like my job and the wage gives me a good standard of living but riding and friends are more important and to be honest Perth is just too damn flat!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Living across the other side but would echo what Aphex says. Just get out of the £ conversion thing quickly or everything will seem expensive. The current £/$ rate is unusual to say the least but it will make a dent in anything you want to bring over (house money etc.)

Currently over in Tassie (which is much cheaper) but we are living comfortably and both working part time so if you do it right the cost of living stuff is good.

Personally Perth wouldn’t top my list due to it’s remoteness from Australia but it does tick a lot of the boxes (warm, beaches, warm) and when I’ve been over it’s a very livable city.

What sort of work are you doing?

zokes
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m over in Adelaide, and I echo Mike’s comments. Perth is nice enough, and I’ve had a couple of half opportunities to move there from Adelaide.

Main reasons for not doing so: more expensive than Adelaide, distance from Australia, traffic.

Perth’s a pretty nice place, and having King’s Park, Freo, and Cottelsoe beach there is good, but distance from the rest of Australia would be an issue for me. That said, there’s the SW, and pretty amazing things a long way up north also.

longmover
    Free Member

I love just outside Perth down the river from the CBD, pretty close to one_happy_hippy I think.

There is some decent riding around if you go up to the hills but Perth is a very isolated place so get used to driving long distances if you want some variety. The city is very clean but expensive. Wages are higher but then so is cost of living but it does even it’s self out. I can’t say we’ll be here forever but for the moment we are happy here.

As said previously drivers here crap.

neilco
    Free Member

Thanks all, that’s great advice 🙂

I’d be doing the same thing that I do here in Denmark – working in the oil industry, setting up a data management function to support the geos and engineers. Still at the interview and negotiation stage so and just trying to get a handle on what package I should aim for and how that would equate to my current. Thanks for the car prices and pointers on where to live.

Most of my biking these days is road rather than trail, and I am also running quite a bit. Seems like that is an ok fit with Perth.

Interesting to hear that expats with kids settle in quicker than individuals – that’s been my experience of expats that I have employed here, so guess it is a universal truth.

I am used to pretty flat with living in Denmark but warm would make a nice change. I am also used to an expensive cost of living from here compared to my ‘home’ of the UK, but as has been said… That is why the salaries are typically higher. Personal challenge for me will be going from two decent salaries (wife works back office in a bank) to likely just one, plus need something for my wife to find attractive and fill her time with. Less worried about my daughter. She speaks English already as well as Danish.

Thanks all… If interview goes any further, I might pm with some specifics.

konabunny
    Free Member

Don’t forget that non-permanent resident foreigners are generally charged tuition fees at government as well as private schools.

I think a lot of the British bitching about Australians being racist and terrible drivers etc is oneupmanship.

bigjim

I think a lot of the British bitching about Australians being racist and terrible drivers etc is oneupmanship.

I spent five months there and really noticed the racism. It’s basically the same as the anti-english ‘banter’ here in scotland, only aimed at aboriginals and other non-whites. Heard the phrase ” I’m not racist but…” so often!

Driving on the other hand, we drove pretty much right round Australia and I generally find the aussie drivers much better than here in the UK. Because of the hidden speeding cameras in WA the traffic speed is much safer. They can’t merge though, so funny to watch that. Also as a pedestrian they aren’t good at stopping when lights turn red but that seems to be increasingly the norm here too now.

WA is amazing for sure.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I dont know about the one upmanship bit.

Im from Birmingham originally, an area that is culturally diverse and know for its complete tolerance of all ethanic groups by every other ethanic group and I was shocked by the level of generally accepted casual racism.

As for the driving it really is bad. As an example on thursday I was reversed in to on my bike by a driver who had pulled out too far at a junction and reversed straight back at speed hit me and didnt stop until I was banging on his boot lid and had it took until I walked up to his window and explained why I was banging until he realised what had happened. Later I drove the the shops, was reversing in to a parking space and some daft bint drove round the back of me and in to the space. ‘Ive got my indicators and reverse light on and had to slam on the brake to stop from squashing you in to the adjoining car’ “oh” was the response. On the way home I saw an excellent executed right turn while the left indicator was on at a ‘no right turn set of lights’

Today on the way in to the supermarket I saw someone drive in to another car twice trying to get in to a space. Then get out and walk off like nothing happened. I also saw a car that had tried to avoid a rail crossing and had been spun in to one of the crossing lights, and another car get stuck trying to take a short cut to avoid the traffic by trying to cut over a concrete kerb / verge thing and got wedged.

Im pretty sure the driving test here is ‘do you know what a car is?’ “yes” ‘well done here’s a license’

Don’t even get me started on the blaze attitude to drink driving.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Hey hippy I’m from Wolves! Next time I’m heading up Perth way I’ll give you a shout and we could grab a beer maybe? I’ve got the mother in law arriving for three months and will need some excuses to get out the house a bit! Or do you get down to Freo much? Nice to sit in little c’s or mad monk, sink a few ales and what h the world go by.

Oh and the driving… I’m not great by any stretch but I know that when it gets dark I turn my lights on. Lots of aussies seem to disagree.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Yeah Sounds good aphex! Im technically from S’bridge but used to work in Ettingshall (salubrious I know!) Yeah don’t get out much to be honest but be happy to head to freo and have a few ‘ales’ (pffft slightly less fizzzy hoppy lager pfft). I seem to remember the food isn’t half bad either.

Drop me a mail or find me on bloody facebook @TheJohnty.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nope. I’ve only been to Australia once and noticed both straight away. I even read an article in an Aussie motorcycle mag about the poor driving standard there, so they’re aware of it themselves. Main problem is that they try to improve the driving by legislation rather than education, I believe.
    I couldn’t stand the place to be honest. I found it very soulless and rather boring. Couldn’t wait to come home. But that’s just my opinion. 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

I was called rotten when I said that Australia was the most racist country I have lived in. How come you lot are being let off 😉

neilco
    Free Member

So, I’ve had some wine, but – casual racism and bad driving aside – I’m on the verge of booking flight tickets whether I get a job or not!

iforwilliams
    Free Member

Summer wind is mental!

Take up kitesurfing instead.

Just beware the Grey Suits…..

neilco
    Free Member

Gotta ask…. Grey Suits?

zokes
    Free Member

For the most part, the Australians are more tolerant than the Brits. This extends to tolerance of foreigners, and is the only explanation for their shocking driving. And having now driven in all jurisdictions except the NT, I am sad to say that shit driving appears universal. Probably also explains why mark webber was always last to actually start moving when the lights went out on an f1 grid.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Ah yes I forgot to mention Perths omnidirectional headwind. Only really noticed it recently when I started comuting to work (one good thing well laid out cycle paths) I’m still struggling that regardless or when on which direction I’m going there is always a gale force head wind!

Pigface
    Free Member

Men in Grey Suits are sharks, the water around WA is quite bitey.

The Freo doctor was heavenly when it hits 45+ degrees, it’s ok though it’s a dry heat. 😆

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ahh Hippy I’m from Penn!

The wind. Jeez. I’ve done the round the river ride numerous times and no matter which way you go there’s a headwind. The Doctor is great but it does catch you out when you’re at the beach and you feel cool in 35c+

Bad drivers-a-plenty. The amount of times someone has sat in the outside lane alongside me then edged ahead to indicate and pull in front for no apparent reason. Or the right lane hoggers that suddenly decide they are turning left and cut across. Or sit behind you inches away. It’s not even laugable. I’m utterly paranoid about being t-boned at crossroads too. Amber means 5 more cars can go through and red means “I’ll just make it”.

catfood
    Free Member

I found the racism quite appalling in the west and all over Australia, not just casual racism but very overt too.
    When I asked why they called Aboriginals bungs (they do) I was told it was because thats the noise they make when they hit the roo bars, not really my cup of tea.

iforwilliams
    Free Member

Is Perth your only Aus option?

We lived in Sydney for a about a year and a half- fantastic city to live in! Huge cycling scene and some good riding once you get out of the city confines.

Never lived in Perth, but I’m fully aware of the wind situation as kiting is my other vice. Sounds like living in Cape Town with the near-constant South Easter there. Oppressive for cycling against, awesome for harnessing with a kite n twin tip.

Perth I believe is more expensive to live in than Sydney- something I find hard to imagine! In Sydney we were paying $380/ week rent.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained! I know enough people out there love it! Gopher it!

batfink
    Free Member

I’ve been in Sydney for the past 18 months…… and yes, the driving is absolutely appalling! They just don’t see pedestrians – it’s terrifying.

I agree with Aphex and Mike – the cost of living is generally higher, but the increased wages account for that, and then some. I know that (doing exactly the same job as in the UK) my GF and I are significantly better off over here. You get used to thinking in AUD very quickly – until then, just don’t look at how much things cost!

We’ve tried to understand what the cost driver are for consumer goods/services…. but are completely baffled. Coffee is a religion over here, with a bearded hipster in an independent shop taking 10 minutes to produce the best brew you’ve ever tasted – and it’s cheaper than a starbucks at home.

The process of moving is MUCH simpler than you think it’s going to be – don’t get too hung-up on that!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

380 a week is good. We’re paying 450 for a 3×1 but it’s a 1400m2 block so the garden is huge. Perth prices are crazy house wise. Everyone sells their back garden and sub-divides so you have a tiny entertaining area but your mortgage gets pretty much paid off. Then you have spare cash for a Landcruiser, boat, jetski, scrambler and a V8 ute…

My hospital sponsored me and paid for me to move over in 2009. We stayed for 2 years, went back to UK for 12 months and then came back to another hospital (same health service) who also paid for me to come back. Close to 20k each time. Massive shortage of decent nurses here and they will go to the ends of the earth to bring you over.

Oh, and the posties ride motorbikes up the pavement. lol

I’m currently applying for my PR and it’s an utter pain (for a nurse). I have to get an external agency to assess my skills to prove I can do a job I’ve been doing here for three years, and pay for them to do it.

Coffee is great here though. Cafe strip in Freo is literally coffee shop after coffee shop. Cakes are spot on and weekends the place is full of lycra’d up roadies sitting eating eggs benadict and pastries with a long macchiato. It’s ace to sit and watch the world go by and the poseurs drive their restored yank cars or the mid-life crisis crew driving their Harley’s past.

We’re set for a heatwave this week with temps going from 35c upwards. And we don’t have aircon. The “doctor” should help though.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I will say that I’m wondering if Perth is the best place to be. I love it here and we’ve got heaps of friends but it seems like we’re the back-end of Australia and behind with everything. It’s a huge state with a population of something like 2.5 million (roughly the same amount of people as are unemployed in the UK). Call centres work on eastern time so often you can’t get support after 2-3pm here which sucks. Internet is appalling. TV is crap and there are adverts every 10 mins or less. The morning TV has infomercials constantly selling insurance, internet, snuggies etc. When there’s a disaster in the world the first thing mentioned is the amount of Australians caught up in it. Perth suffers from housing obesity and the belief that you need a 6 bedroom 4 bathroom house. Often these houses are in pitch black as people are out at the mines or working long hours to pay for their huge houses/cars.

If I was looking into it fresh I would be looking over east.

Having said that we’ve been to Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam and it’s only a few hours away. There’s pluses and minuses.

zokes
    Free Member

I love it here and we’ve got heaps of friends but it seems like we’re the back-end of Australia and behind with everything.

Every time I land in Perth, in my head I always think the Captain is saying “Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Perth, where the local time is 1983”

batfink
    Free Member

Sydney’s nice…. just sayin like.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I think the time lag is part of its appeal, but it only extends to the way society acts, rather than any big technoligical black hole. The construction industry is as sharp as anywhere in the world, albeit the projects being discussed here are pretty damned big/expensive compared to a lot of places.

It’s a great place to be with kids, there a tons of things to do at the weekends and the money invested in playgrounds would probably exclipse the gdp of a few smaller nations! Kids also seem happy to be kids and there doesn’t appear to be a pressure to grow up too soon.

Schooling is excellent at primary level, can’t comment on above that yet but the 457 visa holders are going to be hit with fees from Jan 2015. The 457 visa thing has been used as a bit of a political football over the last few years and it can feel like that your not wanted at times, odd given that employers have spent a lot of money getting us over here.

The drawbacks I’m finding here are that it’s expensive, sure the salaries are higher, but the knock on effect is that the property prices are disproportionatley high. Even on my salary I’m not sure if we could afford to buy here unless I go back to living an hour away from work, which is the kind of thing I came here to avoid. Holidays also become expensive if you want to go anywhere (either in the state or overseas..)

Also, friends are a long way away, it’s sometimes very difficult to break into new circles as there are a lot of people who are here for a few years and then go somewhere else, so as one parent at school put it to me “why bother getting to know someone when that happens” – not everyone has this view and you’ll find that nearly everyone will talk to you if you’re out and about.

Do we regret coming out here? NO, it’s a great lifestyle, we’re not sure where we’ll settle long term – I suspect it’s wherever the housing is cheaper, as that opens up a lot more lifestyle options IMO.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

We moved from Rockingham (shudder) up to Freo as all our mates were up here and an hours round trip with a 2 year old was a bind. Rocko was cheaper but Freo’s a much nicer place. Anyhoo I’m at work at 3 so gonna wait for the missus to bring the car back and drive to work via Muzz Buzz for my drive to work coffee fix. Ooh-roo!

Oh and Perthies, slip slap slop it’s time for a heatwave!!!

2hottie
    Free Member

Firstly OP… do it! the chance might not appear again!

Perth is a nice place, most people appear to be living the dream. Friends of mine who live over there say it is great an when I visited it was indeed really nice. However for me it felt busy and rushed and the only fights I’ve seen on a night out in Australia have been in Perth… maybe it’s the places my mates took me.

Anyway I moved to Adelaide over 18 months ago. If I’m honest the place picked us due to work but I’m glad as I bloody love it here! It’s busy enough for me yet still retains the small town charms like quite parks streets at the weekend. Biking is a 15 minute drive or if like Zokes is stright from the front door. Lots of trails and at over 700m the hills are a reason size. I’m also 5 minutes by car to the beach which is fantastic for evening walks. Also the beaches in Adelaide are pretty empty and that’s due to not being overly populated.

Making friends can be hard, you have to put yourself out there. Joining sports clubs can help break the ice and does pay off.

You’ll not know if Perth is right for you unless you give it ago… stay a few years get your PR then you’re laughing. (note we got PR from the outset so haven’t had to worry about visas etc which could have made it easier for us to settle in)

Driving wise…. well the UK is that great either…. I do hate the undertaking bit and driving everywhere at 60kph (37.5mph) can be dull so no wonder idiots think it’s ok to eat cereal whilst driving let alone be on the phone texting etc

I’m sure lots of folk on here will be willing to help you out regardless which city you live in.

Good luck!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Every time I land in Perth, in my head I always think the Captain is saying “Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Perth, where the local time is 1983”

This.

I often describe Perth as 1980 where they have heard about the year 2000 USA and are desperately trying to catch up…

RichPenny
    Free Member

Surely that’s not a bad thing though? On a political front, a series of bloody and pointless wars have not yet been fought. And on a cultural front, the decade that music forgot has yet to unleash its full horror upon us.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I think we’re just entering the stage where Pepe white/stonewash drainpipe jeans are in (I knew I should have kept hold of mine..)

I’m fully expecting kajagoogoo to top the charts next week, although I’d never know as the radio DJ’s tend not to play music and just talk tripe for hours from what I’ve heard 😕

zokes
    Free Member

and the only fights I’ve seen on a night out in Australia have been in Perth…

Looks like I’ll have to take you on a pub crawl down Hindley Street then…

And this time three years ago, Beefy and Chappelli had a bit of big out the back of the Oval after the Ashes test 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here live/lived in Perth, Australia?’ is closed to new replies.