• This topic has 20 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by cb.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone here involved in Venture Capital?
  • cb

Particularly related to early (pre-pilot) stage technologies. Holy Grail or do such organisations exist?

footflaps

Our company is VC funded….

Also look at Angel investors eg http://cambridgeangels.com/

footflaps

NB They’re all vultures at heart – appear nice superficially, but they’ll get their pound of flesh (and more) from you…..

damo2576
    Free Member

How much do you want to raise?

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve been on both sides of the VC funding shenanigans. Like footflaps says, they’ll want money eventually but super-early stage is more of a coin toss, they’ll invest in a bunch of companies and then leave the crap ones to die (or survive without extra funding at least)

cb

Angels too small generally and anyone (VCs) willing to provide funding deserves its pound of flesh – I have no problems with that aspect! Looking for a two phase investment, initially 700k to build and run the pilot phase followed by a lot more!!

Difficult place that we find ourselves in being both early stage and with high capital requirements. We have support from household name companies prominent in their fields but our technology will have these organisations as both suppliers and customers – not sufficiently core for them to invest cash.

VCs that I have approached pretty much want guarantees and seem to have lost their ‘venture’ aspect!!

br
    Free Member

What about a single investor?

Not sure how you find one, although is it anything in the pharma/otc/healthcare area?

theteaboy
    Free Member

Depends on where you are and what you’ve done before.

If you’re in a university, looking to spin out technology linked to your research, you might stand a chance. If you’re a man in a shed, less so.

cb

I guess a single investor is what I am looking for – its trying to find them! We have a couple of UK based organisations interested and a couple of more random overseas funds. I need more options though! £700k tends to be significant even for single high net worth individuals!

atlaz
    Free Member

I know a couple of companies but typically they’re not early-stage investors these days unless it’s a software sort of thing.

footflaps

Pretty standard amounts for a company making stuff. Normal seed funding is around $1m, then normally a 1st round of $5m ish 12-18 months later. I know companies who have raised that both from Angels and VCs.

cb

I’m a start up with technology externally verified by a well known engineering consultancy. I have the pilot designed and costed by another well known process engineering outfit but I’m not linked to a university. The technology is patented here with applications pending overseas. The technology is market focussed rather than a hair brained idea that will save the world!

footflaps

NB Think we’ve had about $100m so far from VCs, although it was never expected we’d last this long without either folding or an IPO. Seem to be stuck in the no-man’s land of too big to let fail, yet not quite big enough to ‘make it big’.

cb

What sector are you footflaps?

damo2576
    Free Member

Too small for VC interest I’d imagine at a £700k raise. I would look at Angel syndicates which would be much more around this level and frankly have a bigger appetite for risk with the various EIS incentives.

I have raised money with a syndicate from http://www.lbangels.co.uk/

Also know a similar private fund with perhaps the right appetite, will email you.

damo2576
    Free Member

Oh and is this a product or web service?

cb

damo – its actually both, happy to go into more detail off line if you have contacts that might be interested.

Cheers

PS I expect to pay a finders’ fee!

EDIT – after your edit! Its a technology from which we expect to make a product, its not software related.

footflaps

What sector are you footflaps?

Telecoms. We make Hardware, so it’s an expensive business.

damo2576
    Free Member

cb – just emailed you…

footflaps

Too small for VC interest I’d imagine at a £700k raise

Not at all. It’s only a seed round, so they like to start small and if the milestones are met, they’ll follow on with substantially more….

Our first round was $1m = £700k ish. We’ve since had another $99m in several follow on rounds. As the rounds get bigger, you normally add bigger funds e.g. we have added Samsung and Accel along the way.

cb

damo – have emailed you back!

Thanks

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here involved in Venture Capital?’ is closed to new replies.