Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone here ever raced XC?
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

Just wondered what the scene was like, what it was all about? Good fun or very serious even at amateur level? All about the tech or all about the taking part?

Just curious.

shortcut

It’s as serious as you want it to be. The guys at the front are very fast, have lots of carbon, a training plan and a sponsor. The ones in the middle and at the back don’t.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s good fun, even at the pointy end they’re friendly people, and most races are chilled out affairs.

Where in the country are you?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aracer
    Free Member

IME the ones in the middle and near the back are still pretty fast!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Find the winter endurance races a lot less serious than the short course summer xc ones. How serious really depends on the race series, some are more so than others.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what sort of XC?
    Olympic? Eliminator? Marathon?

Done a few XC ish events in the longer distance stuff and the field has been fairly well mixed, done some local Tasmanian stuff and again mixed with the National level guys lapping on the rest in an hour race.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’m just sort of putting my feelers out really. I had a blast at a couple of CX races before christmas. I enjoyed them but it still had a sort of ‘roadie’ vibe to it and although I enjoy riding my CX bike I really am a mountain biker at heart but just fancied something a little bit different to DH and Enduro events I’ve done for the past 10 years. A different challenge but something that’s still very much a mountain bike event.

Njee20 – Oxfordshire

everyone
    Free Member

I’ve had a dabble. It hurts. Some of the most fun I’ve had on a bike though! I can almost guarantee that you’ll push yourself harder than you’ve ever been.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I reckon xc racing still has quite a roadie vibe to it, quite different to enduro and DH.

njee20
    Free Member

Njee20 – Oxfordshire

You’re potentially not too far from the Gorrick series then, great introduction. Courses aren’t particularly technical, but are good fun. Good number of entrants, not taken too seriously.

Garry_Lager

I participated in a few – wouldn’t be right to say raced. Beards ago, mind.
    I think back in the 90s you’d get big fields, with maybe the bottom half just out for a laugh. That’s steadily dwindled as MTBing has grown / fragmented, so nowadays an XC startline ranges from the fearsomely fit and strong, down to the reasonably fit and strong. There’s not much ballast like you’d see in an enduro, say.

You should definitely do it, though – it would be an awesome thing to be fit enough to mix it in an XC race, IMO. With a few CX races under your belt you sound well placed to give it a go.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I reckon xc racing still has quite a roadie vibe to it, quite different to enduro and DH.

A lot less whinging (about the course),whining (about the bike)and general bullshizzle (about how good they are) you mean?

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I guess i like the look of the methodical approach to the technical elements and the general pacing of XC. Where as DH and Enduro are about going as fast as you dare and staying on the bike XC has a more thoughtful, considered approach to it??

pete68
    Free Member

As it happens there’s a gorrick race next Sunday. Give it a go while you’re thinking about it. I bet you enjoy it.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Did one today at red kite in mid wales. Great grassroots event.

Nothing like the roadie training ride I did last weekend

fervouredimage
    Free Member

As it happens there’s a gorrick race next Sunday. Give it a go while you’re thinking about it. I bet you enjoy it.

You know what, i think i will. I can borrow a friends Cube Reaction GTC SL 29. That should do the job right?

pete68
    Free Member

You’ll be fine on that. There’ll be all sorts of bikes there.

alansd1980

I am in a similar position to you.

I entered one of the Gorrick winter series. Incredibly tough going for a recreational rider as there was very little fire road to recover but at the end really enjoyed it. In the event next week. Any bike will do

adsh
    Free Member

I did my first in May last year. Went too fast and only did 3 laps of a 7 lapper. Took in a lot of info, trained quite hard and completed some 6hr events about 2/3rds down, did 4 or 5 short course events (real pain) then tbe brass monkeys and came 15th by virtue of sticking with it in bad conditions.

Every one was very friendly. It’s a very welcoming scene. I’d reccomend the Banjo events in South Oxfordshire if you like hour long events.

mjsmke

I use to a long time ago. The atmosphere was great. Some take it seriously but they don’t spoil the fun. Great feeling after the race no matter what position you finish in. Regular races are nice because you get to know the regulars.

stanleigh
    Free Member

XC racing is great fun .

I’m far from a serious xcer , in fact I treat the Gorricks as my Sunday ride !

It’s no different to a group ride in the woods , except you do it at a pace that suits you.

Great fun & atmosphere for pros & newbies alike.

There is no snobbery or bullying either.

Do it regularly enough & it becomes fun socially as you will see the same faces at each race.

bob_summers

Have done some rounds of the Basque national XC Marathon champs, each about 65-85km with some serious elevation. They would make great, super technical all dayer rides but dangling off the back all the way round and finishing an hour behind the winner was not my idea of fun. Really bloody hard.

A guy I train on the road with is regularly top 10 and was tearing everyone’s legs off yesterday & it’s only February 🙁

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here ever raced XC?’ is closed to new replies.