Anyone here do Triathlons?

Home Forum Bike Forum Anyone here do Triathlons?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone here do Triathlons?
  • Edric 64

Buy tri bars they save you loads of time and use a normal road bike as it's probably more suited to continued use

Premier Icon simon_g
    Subscriber

Road bike has done me fine so far, but I'm usually competing to stay off the bottom of the finishers list!

A "tri" bike is essentially a time-trial machine – not comfortable, but about putting you in the most efficient position for power and aero. Not the sort of thing you'd want to train on, nor mix with traffic on either. You'd want one in addition to a road bike – the former to train on, the tri bike for races – assuming you're sufficiently well off, and think your performance justifies the extra spend.

You can (and people do) spend thousands on fancy kit to improve their times when usually better technique (and better training) would help them a lot more. Ironically, if you do get quick enough to race in elites, you're not allowed tri bars and all that aero stuff – it's effectively plain road bikes only.

Edric 64

I didn't know that bit about tribars is it because they allow drafting in races now and being on tribars is not safe in relation to braking?

Premier Icon ourmaninthenorth
    Subscriber

Never felt the need to do a triathlon, on account of being able to ride round corners.

Oh, and buy a road bike. Much more versatile.

B.A.Nana

Ok, so a normal road bike (that's what I suspected)….. and buy some tri bars. Is it easy to swap the bars over?, like it is on a MTB?. Or, do you need different brake levers and therefore have to re-wire the brakes?

Edric 64

get some tribars that bolt on you dont need to touch any of the controls

B.A.Nana

Never felt the need to do a triathlon, on account of being able to ride round corners.

Sorry?

Premier Icon sockpuppet
    Subscriber

there's perception that triathletes can't ride for toffee. this seems to stem from the fact that they are often out training in a fairly aero position. this tends to compromise control. or they're runners/swimmers out riding hard without much experience…

it's a harsh stereotype that is [slightly] borne out by experience.

it is not true of all triathletes, but that's stereotypes for you

Premier Icon singletracksurfer
    Subscriber

tri riders are known for falling off and crashing i believe.

B.A.Nana

Oh ok? 🙄 I ride Mountain bikes, I don't think skillz on a Tri/road bike was something I'd considered.

B.A.Nana

Entered a tri in August for fun and maybe some more in the future. On the issue of buying a bike. Road bike or Tri bike? Apart from the component differences, I believe there is distinctly different goemetry?.

Presumably a road bike could have a few component changes to make it a bit more triathlon, but if I bought a Tri bike, could it be converted into a road bike or does the tri specific geometry mean that it doesn't really convert to a good road bike?

What would be your recommendation on bike choice to start out with? I need to do a bit of training on the same bike I compete with (when I say 'compete', I actually only mean just 'complete').

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone here do Triathlons?’ is closed to new replies.