Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)
  • Anyone heard of “the bicycle company UK” is it dodgy?
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

Probably more than Sick! sold.

reluctantjumper

If a bike box does arrive I would strongly recommend videoing you opening it. There’s so many alarm bells going off I’d not be 100% sure there’s the bike you’ve ordered inside it. Hopefully it does all work out and you have scored a bargain but I fear that getting the delivery may well be the start of your problems!

alanl
    Free Member

Of course they will say that the bike is on its way to you.
    It prolongs the time they have to move your money on, as well as continue using their fraudulent business model for a few more weeks.
    It won’t arrive when they say it will, so they say they will contact the Shippers. Then there will be a few days wait while it is investigated, then they say it has been lost, but don’t worry, we’ll claim on the insurance, and get another one out to you.
    You’ll then wait another 2 weeks for nothing to arrive.

frankconway

Contact trading standards in both Peterborough and Richmond to report this ‘company’ and give them names of directors from Companies House website.
    Call Companies House to report scam company.
    Contact local press and radio stations in Peterborough and Richmond.

DezB
    Free Member

You really wouldn’t smell a rat when you saw a Santa Cruz dh bike and this on the homepage?

richmtb

Any updates?

Their website is certainly still alive and well

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Looks like they have removed the Ribble and Canyon bikes from the site

richmtb

CAVEAT EMPTOR Canyon Spectral All sizes in stock

Couple of Ribble bikes there too.

The have popped up on Trustpilot now with negative reviews

v7fmp

i asked what time the shop closed, got told 5pm. Asked if that was the Sheen Road store, thne to be told i need to make an appointment due to Covid. They advised i read their covid guidlines, which i couldnt find, so asked for a link. Link gives me info, but nothing about making an appointment.

it does state tho ‘Both our Peterborough and Richmond stores have now reopened. Due to Welsh Government Guidance, for those over the age of 11, face coverings must now be worn within ours stores.’

My geography isnt great, but why would they apply Welsh government guidance for stores not in Wales?!?!

Update whilst typing this…. i have an appointment for tomorrow at 12pm……

therevokid
    Free Member

Wonder if James (owner of Bicycle Richmond) is aware of this as the sheen rd address is his shop !!

hannahjayy
    Free Member

I did email James last week to give him a heads up, he replied:

Many thanks – This has happened a couple of times before over the last 10 years, using the same URL.

It has been reported to the police and Companies House as ID theft and fraud.

DezB
    Free Member

Update whilst typing this…. i have an appointment for tomorrow at 12pm…

Take a friend! 😳

v7fmp

haha, dont worry, i have no intention of going, i just wanted to see what the outcome would be via the live chat.

soundninjauk

Their online sales guy seems really keen to persuade ‘Lachlan Morton’ to buy online rather than to pop into their shop, even though it’s only a 20 minute bike ride away!

richmtb

Their online sales guy seems really keen to persuade ‘Lachlan Morton’ to buy online rather than to pop into their shop

They seemed quite keen to sell “Steve Peat” an e-bike too.

I wonder if they would try and sell Bradley Wiggins a mountain bike!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Jag, did your bike turn up?
    Looks like they are still going……

lana
    Free Member

SCAM!!! DON’T BUY from them. They stole all my money!!!I purchased a bike from them, they sent me an email confirmation with all the details to go and collect it in the store. I went to the shop(to the address they show in their website) and it’s another different bike store and they had no idea about my order plus they mentioned that many people went there asking for bikes from the bicycle company uk they even reported it to the police but the police didn’t really care. It’s a shame! Please everyone who can report this SCAM company do it so we can avoid this to happen to others like it happened to me.

plus-one

Looked legit to me !! Sarcasm switch off !

Why oh why do people still fall for these scams 🙁

If it looks too good to be true ? It is !!!!!

frankconway

lana- if only you joined earlier…

damascus
    Free Member

@jag did TSB help you get the money back or were they terrible?

richmtb

They got my review pulled from Trustpilot, there are load of negative reviews on there already, all replied to saying they are fake reviews.

There are also a bunch of positive reviews, they must have been really busy on the 26th and 27th of July because that is when all them were posted.

Honestly its Scammy McScamface. I guess the website is actually hosted outside the UK so there is not much that can be done to pull it down. Maybe @stwhannah wants to investigate and see if anything more can be done to stop people being scammed?

squirrelking
    Free Member

@plus-one no need, I’m sure they feel bad enough without you ripping the piss.

leffeboy

I’m surprised that credit card companies still deal with them as they must be getting lots of claims

JAG

UPDATE

No bike – no surprise I guess :o(

TSB have said I have to wait 15 days after the promised delivery date before I can make a claim. In that 15 days I’m supposed to contact the supplier to organise delivery or a full refund. If I have no joy I can then claim my money back. The 15 days expires on 15/8/2021.

The only helpful thing that’s happened is that my payment has been ‘held during an investigation of fraud’ by their Card processing agent; Vivawallet. I’m hoping that will make the claim back easier.

I’ve decided that I am an idiot and it was clearly a scam which I didn’t see through.

Let’s all be careful out there!

leffeboy

I’ve decided that I am an idiot and it was clearly a scam which I didn’t see through.

It wasn’t so clear it was a scam apart from the price.  They have worked hard on this one

theotherjonv

seems to me that if you are a keen cyclist, eg: knowing Canyon, Ribble, etc are direct sales models then there are clues but not everyone is such a saddo obsessive as the average STW dweller and then it does look very convincing.

The only regular advice that everyone should know is to always use a credit card when you buy online. I know there’s often a backlash against credit cards, but used wisely, in this case for the protection they bring, they are very useful. Even though banks may refund after investigation, with a CC it’s a legal obligation.

DezB
    Free Member

It wasn’t so clear it was a scam apart from the price

And the homepage of the website.

leffeboy

And the homepage of the website.

Which part of the homepage? It looked good by most normal standards

identitizombie

Hannah brought this to my attention. I’m doing some digging. If anything we will get something up to warn others. If anyone who has made a purchase or spoken to them wants to drop me a message please feel free to do so!

soundninjauk

Which part of the homepage? It looked good by most normal standards

For me it was the bit where you landed and was immediately presented with ‘Largest Bicycle Manufacturer’. That seems unlikely, apart from anything else they reckon they’re a shop not a factory. After that, all their news posts are dated the same day (4th March 2021), the discounts are all too good to be true, the videos consist entirely of stock imagery, and if you Google streetview their apparent address it looks very different to their supposed shop picture (among plenty of other things I’m sure).

I’m not saying they’ve not put some effort in because they have (all the links generally go somewhere, they’ve gone to the effort of writing out or at least stealing someone’s privacy policy etc.), but it still doesn’t pass the sniff test for me and it’s a lot of money to send somewhere that looks even a little bit curious.

plus-one

Coming out of a worldwide pandemic/brexit/supply chain issues.

Massive bike/parts shortages worldwide and folks waiting months on bikes etc!!

A company no-one has heard off pops up with lots of stock of pretty much any bike and at a discount !!!!

Aye it might be true !

DezB
    Free Member

For me it was the bit where you landed and was immediately presented with ‘Largest Bicycle Manufacturer’

Exactly – as I posted up there somewhere ^^

soundninjauk

Coming out of a worldwide pandemic/brexit/supply chain issues.

Massive bike/parts shortages worldwide and folks waiting months on bikes etc!!

A company no-one has heard off pops up with lots of stock of pretty much any bike and at a discount !!!!

This is all very true as well of course, I was just trying to point out things that made me suspicious that could happen on any scam site rather than just a bike related one (when I first looked at it for example, they reckoned they were selling Canyon bikes which the bike nerd and STW dweller in me instantly flagged as ‘nope’).

damascus
    Free Member

When I first found this I clicked on a specialized diverge. It didn’t take me to the front page. The only reason I was suspicious was the discount and then the 2nd and 3rd discount codes. That’s when I did some digging and posted on here. I was pretty sure it was a scam but there was a little bit of me that thought maybe someone in IT had cocked up!

I once bought a bike from Evans cycles that was ridiculously cheap and they called me the next day to say they’d made a mistake and refunded my money. So it does happen.

Tbf the website is better than some major bike companies websites and easier to use!

JAG

I’ve had another email from them since posting the UPDATE.

This time telling me that because my payment has failed they will issue a full refund in the next fourteen days – which seems unlikely. However I have to wait at least that long before I can contact TSB about getting my money back so I guess we will see what happens.

I’m not going to hold my breath :o)

damascus
    Free Member

This time telling me that because my payment has failed they will issue a full refund in the next fourteen days

Why would they issue a refund if the payment failed? This is just delay tactics.

Has the money come out of your account?

JAG

Yes – the money is gone from my account but is being held by the card processing company; Vivawallet

Vivawallet tell me this happens if the website is reported for fraudulent practices.

I don’t think the refund offer is real – just a delaying tactic as you say :o)

Duggan

I hope everyone scammed gets their cash back.

I’ve not seen the website in question but from the scammers point of view it seems like a good time to set something up. I’ve been looking for a bike recently and the combination of the drought and the desire to get something I can commute on before I return to the office in September has led to a feeling of the pressure being ramped up.

I can easily imagine many people are hitting the “buy” button much more impulsively and quickly than they usually would if they see something “in stock” and feel there is a tiny window to grab it.

DezB
    Free Member

Lauren’s done a story on the STW homepage now

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Anyone heard of “the bicycle company UK” is it dodgy?’ is closed to new replies.