Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 177 total)
  • Anyone heard of Ned's atomic dustbin?
  • ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Yep, saw them live in 1989 when they and EAT supported the Wonderstuff on their “HUP!” tour.

Ned’s were very, very bad. And, yes, they were famously the only band (at that time) to sell more t-shirts than albums.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone remember an all female group called Angelica? No me neither, but I play in a band now with the ex-drummer, and she never shuts up about it.

Blimey yes, I brought their first single!

senorj

forgotten about eat. agreed.
    what about balaam & the angel – a little earlier maybe?

messiah
    Free Member

I love much of what’s been mentioned so far. My fave band of the time though were Joyriders. Great bunch of guys who should have been huge.

http://thejoyriders.co.uk/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jad60GImkTo

votchy
    Free Member

Neds at wolverhampton on 1/12/12 and then the stuffies, jesus jones and pwei at brum o2 on the 22/12/12 for me this festive season 😀

votchy
    Free Member

Got to agree about EAT, saw them play the main stage early afternoon then come back and do second on the bill to Blur in the tent at Reading, they were a band that should’ve gone further as they were awesome live

stewartc
    Free Member

Haha, all this old bands remind me of the time I spent working par-time in a Grunge club in Camberley throughout the 90’s, right laugh and most of the crowd were a good bunch though I wasnt really into the scene, much better than the arses that turned up on the dance nights.
    Think I either heard all the bands listed above several times a night or saw at least half of them live.
    Easiest bar job ever, it was either Snake Bite Blacks or JD and cokes, usualy ended up drunker than the patrons, happy days.

Northwind

grum – Member

Anyone remember an all female group called Angelica? No me neither, but I play in a band now with the ex-drummer, and she never shuts up about it.

Aye, I remember their song Why Did You Let My Kitten Die. Think I saw them supporting Ash or someone like that.

neninja
    Free Member

Remember Hunters Club supporting Neds at Birmingham Hummingbird in about 1989/90

They were pretty good – went a bought their EP with ‘Aint See Nothing Yet’ on it.

Another couple of bands I remember fondly from back then are The Telescopes and The Moonflowers (both somewhat different).

ski
    Free Member

Used to be a big fan, seen them live a few times, local band playing to local fans at smallish gigs normally always adds up to a good atmosphere.

Kill Your Television

Marin
    Free Member

Margin Walker do you know Marcus(bendy leg) or Fletch. Big travelling Neds fans back in the day. Used to go round to Stig’s house, the origional bass player from Scorpio Rising who were an Alien Heat, for regular tea and biscuits.
    PWEI are lacking Clint but saw them earlier in the year and they were O.K.

theotherjonv

Haha, all this old bands remind me of the time I spent working par-time in a Grunge club in Camberley throughout the 90’s

So that’ll be the Agincourt then. You might know my wife and her best friend then, they were regulars. I was an occasional.

Got tickets for PWEI / Wonder Stuff / Jesus Jones in december. I saw the Stuffies and the Levellers recently, they’ve both still got it. Some of Miles Hunt’s recent acoustic / solo / him and a girl (Erika Nockall) is prety good too.

rob2
    Free Member

Big spaceman 3 fan here

anjs
    Free Member

Oh spent many nights at Agincourt and then Sunday Nights at Washington Heights in Reading

Pigface
    Free Member

Never a huge Wonderstuff fan due to Miles Hunt but shocked to find out that Rob Jones died so young.

grum
    Free Member

Blimey yes, I brought their first single!

Aye, I remember their song Why Did You Let My Kitten Die. Think I saw them supporting Ash or someone like that.

She’ll be pleased that at least someone remembers! 🙂

zippykona

My friends ex girlfriend used to go out with Rob The Bass Thing. Anyone here used to see him the Ship in Croydon?

anagallis_arvensis

Never a huge Wonderstuff fan due to Miles Hunt but shocked to find out that Rob Jones died so young.

Gilks is dead now too 😥
    I was a huge wonderstuff fan

CountZero

Loved Lush, but Kenickie were one of the most fun live bands I’ve ever seen. Serious case of the hots for the lovely Mis Laverne! Saw Elastica at The Fleece on their first tour, had to play two songs again for the encore, ‘cos they only had enough written for a main set!
    Really miss Curve, though, love that band. 🙁
    Oh, and does anyone remember The Cardiacs? Mark and Stuart played one of theirs on 6Music this afternoon, as part of The Chain. Knew of them, but had never heard them before; bloody hell they were good! Sorry to hear their main man, Tim Smith, is pretty poorly, apparently.

DezB
    Free Member

Yay, Eat have some more admirers! 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD5BUyuwxBs&feature=related[/video]

DavidB
    Free Member

I knew the Levellers when they first got going in Brighton. They used to drive us to Salad from Atlantis/Blyth Power/Astronauts gigs in Charlies van. In fact all the “peace and love” went out the window the night we listened to Bruno vs Tyson on the radio as I watched all these hippies shadow boxing pissed on cider.

DavidB
    Free Member

Glitch?

stewartc
    Free Member

theotherjonv – it was a long time ago, put my last shift in on New years eve 2000, but if they remember Gary the bouncer then chances are I also served them a few snake bites while they stood at the bar counting their change 😉
    The place is still going with Brad the DJ still there!

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Marin – Member

Margin Walker do you know Marcus(bendy leg) or Fletch. Big travelling Neds fans back in the day. Used to go round to Stig’s house, the origional bass player from Scorpio Rising who were an Alien Heat, for regular tea and biscuits.
    PWEI are lacking Clint but saw them earlier in the year and they were O.K.

I remember Marcus. I reckon I saw Neds over 25 times. Got snowed in on their first Civic hall gig. Seeen em Leeds, Norwich, Rock City, London, Glasgow, newcastle – used to hitch everywhere. 🙂

Helped scorpio rising load their van at manchester when they supported Senseless things.

good times…

slept rough after gigs sooooo many times. Remembrer watchin CUD at Manchester international, then taxi’d to Boardwalk to watch Swervedriver who only came on at 11.15. Another class act. saw therapy in there with about 200 watching.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I met my Mrs at a Swervedriver gig in ’94, got married 12 years later, merged CD collections about 2 years after that but only got rid of the doubles this summer!

Hopefully going to seen Therapy? next week!

senorj

Gilks is dead now too

MR Gilks! – very sad. top chap.

Margin Walker/Gravity Slave – swervedriver – now you’re talking.
    We must have been at some of the same gigs!
    I also vaguely recall seeing alot of Mega City Four/Sensless Things.
    i love “too much Kissing” if my memory serves me well!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Anyone mention Senser yet?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIZ3BrvLSqk[/video]

chakaping
    Free Member

i love “too much Kissing” if my memory serves me well!

That was on 6 music a while back, made me dig out the vinyl.

Senseless Things at Harlow Square was one of my earliest gigs, loved my “pop kid” T shirt with a star on the front.

I still think the Poppies haven’t got the recognition they deserve as musical pioneers. It took 15 years for the world to love MBV, how long until PWEI get their due?

franki
    Free Member

I was at Halesowen college at the same time as Neds Atomic Dustbin and knew a couple of them to speak to. Went to their first gig with the Velvet Helicopters at the Barrel Organ in Brum.

Never went to see them again though… 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

how long until PWEI get their due?

It’ll be when Ich Bin Ein Auslander gets used in an ad and hipsters ‘discover’ them.

Speaking of the Poppies, while working as a guide I took out a couple from Brum that knew the Poppies, Stuffies and the other Brum band of the time (Edit: Neds. D’oh). The lady half of the couple had been pursued by the Stuffie’s bassist before they made it reasonably big, IIRC.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Hopefully going to seen Therapy? next week!

Saw them on the Troublegum anniversary tour last year.

Ab-so-lutely fooking brilliant.

mikey74
    Free Member

All the “cool” kids liked Neds at school. I opted out and sat in the form room listening to Slayer 8)

DenDennis
    Free Member

No Neds but twas a good mixed bag on this line-up, ahhh the memories!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I opted out and sat in the form room listening to Slayer

I bet you still had greasy long hair and baggy cargos though. 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

HaHahaha. No, I’ve always been a jeans and t-shirt kinda guy. All the Neds fans I knew spent most of their time trying to look like Robert Smith of the Cure, strangely.

jamj1974

My mum was friends with the mother of Fuzz from PWEI…

theotherjonv

Anyone mention Senser yet?

When they toured last year Kerstin was off being pregnant and they recruited my wife’s friend Erika to replace her [iMMa being Erika’s stage name / music project]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euh3ViNOCHw[/video]

sc-xc

Senser were immense. I remember a particularly messy Glastonbury set in the trees – they just pitched up and set up and started playing, we happened to be walking past.

Saw them supporting Eat Static one night (Edwards No 8). That got messy.

anagallis_arvensis

Me and my mate won free tickets to reading in er 93 i think whilst at a Neds live recording for some radios how

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I saw Neds in their heyday… at the Civic in Wolvo, right down the front, i must have lost a stone that night, . .exhausting trying to stay alive . . .lol

i was into the stuffies a bit, saw them numerous times, at wolves, leicester and brum, very good indeed.

of course then belatedly got into the wedding present with bizarro after hearing Brassneck on tv – awesome and still going good, saw them last week.

There was a band from Stourbridge called Fretblanket, they worked where i worked, whilst at college – they never really made it but they did a few albums

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr89JsJU4i4[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘Anyone heard of Ned's atomic dustbin?’ is closed to new replies.