Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone have kids who play ‘Roblox’?
  • matt_bl
    Free Member

As the title really, my daughter is giving us all sorts of grief about wanting to play this game online.

I can find the downloads and various videos of people playing it on youtube, but really want to know how legit and suitable it is.

My daughter has just turned 7 and is in year 2. She claims some of her class mates are playing it, but as above I’m not really convinced.

Thanks Matt

dannybgoode

It is legit and an excellent route into developing games. It’s got millions of users worldwide

Babybgoode has it and it’s fine. We have been developing our first ‘obby’ (Roblox obstacle course) together.

mechanicaldope

My 7 year old loves it. Seems fine to me. Think that this and minecraft are great for kids.

matt_bl
    Free Member

Thanks for that guys, I will try and get to grips with it tomorrow morning.

Matt

StirlingCrispin

Be aware they can also play with friends online.

How this works I have no idea (H says there are random people that join the server but he only talks with his friends).

It’s my favourite of the games my boys play ( Fortnight is the one to avoid if at all possible )

perchypanther
    Free Member

Make sure that any spending limits are locked down. A guy at work had a £640 bill for his six year old buying Robux (the in-game currency)

mechanicaldope

Make sure that any spending limits are locked down.

Definitely do this. Wife’s friends son spent a couple of hundred after the Google password was saved. Easy to avoid,  just make sure you do.

Also, it is possible for people to chat. My girl knows that she isn’t allowed to chat to people she doesn’t know.  It maybe possible to lock this down, I don’t know. I consider it part of growing up to learn about the dangers of strangers on the Web. Incidentally,  do you want to come and see the puppies I have in my van? They have sweets…

GrahamS

My 7yo daughter has been asking about this too.

I’m generally pro things that encourage creativity and coding etc. But a bit of research pulled up this article:

Is Roblox Safe For Kids?

Some concerns there. I decided it was okay but one to play together so we could talk about the interactions etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

It is legit and an excellent route into developing games.

Yeah.. it’s not quite that though.  It’s an online gaming platform, where you CAN make your own games and publish them, but chances are your kids will just want to play the millions already there.

There are lots of grownups on there and you do need to be careful, but they make it easy to do.  Keep track of their their friends list and make sure you know who they all are.  They do get random friends requests from strangers.  I think you can disable chat – there are lots of safety controls on there.

In terms of developing games – it’s not particularly kid-friendly.  It’s similar to doing Javascript in a web browser. And don’t link anything to a credit card FFS, that’s just asking for trouble.  Give your kids their own Google accounts and their own accounts on the computer you’re using.

spacemonkey

Beware some of the games are bug-riddled and/or badly designed or just plain shit.  Monkey junior encountered many of the former and got so irritated (angry) that I uninstalled it for several months.

We then agreed a few weeks ago he could fire it up again, but it was simply a case of different game, same old shit.  Two days later it was removed again.

Some friends have experienced similar, others haven’t.

Personally I think the concept is great but the reality of many a session is crap.

Never had him meltdown on Minecraft or many of the games on Friv for example.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have kids who play ‘Roblox’?’ is closed to new replies.