Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Anyone have any experience of working the summer in the alps (or similar)?
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

I am at university at the moment in Grenoble and wondering about what to do next year during the summer, of course it would be perfect to have a job doing something with my bike in a place that is great for biking like the alps or Italian Riviera or similar but I am not sure whether I will be able to afford it, so this is my question.

I need to work to be able to afford university the next year since being English studying in France neither government seem willing to help me with finance anyway another story, I have the option to go and work full time in an office in London for the summer which would sort me out for the next year for university however this would mean an office job living in the centre of London and as fun as that is, It would be cool to potentially do something else relating to bikes!

I would really try my hardest to avoid being a chalet maid/slave so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience working a summer (or longer) in the Alps say in a bike shop orrr as a guide (I realise you need lots of qualifications to do this officially) orr as a driver for a transfer company etc etc…. and I am wondering if I would be able to save any money doing so or if its more a case of you get paid for your living costs in most jobs like this, of course it varied a lot depending on job type bla bla bla.

Tell me your stories if you have any or advice if you have any also!

Thanks

toppers3933
    Free Member

i did it but quite a few years ago in les gets. the pay was rubbish. and generally all went on beer. but it was brilliant riding my bike everyday.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

and what were you working as?

colp

Mate did it for a few years in Morzine for Jolly Good, drive the shuttle bus to Geneva, rode his bike.
    Free food & board and about £50/week I think
    Loved it.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I was a guide. Although we did transfers on Saturdays as well. It was ace although I went a bit stir crazy towards the end. Got to meet loads of new people and it has indirectly led on to what I do now.
    I do know that guiding in France has changed massively. I believe due to the French trying to prevent British companies from operating there. Which seems pretty counter productive to me but hey ho.
    It was free food and board and a small weekly wage. They also supplied certain bike parts but could get most others at a discount for us if needed. Mostly though the money you earner went on beer of an evening.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have any experience of working the summer in the alps (or similar)?’ is closed to new replies.