• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone have an (old) Boardman CX and Tacx Flux Turbo?
  • Alex

Read a few reviews where the disc brake caliper (which is inboard on my 2013 Boardman) might foul the unit. Obviously not an issue with my current wheel-on model.

Also any views on the ‘original’ Flux? Not the new model that’s just come out.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Might hit the Tacx body.

Turbo trainee

Alex

I reckon the min I’d need to is take the caliper off Not a big issue as it’s an old cable one. Question is would the mount get in the way?

Also read some stuff that it won’t work with a 32T cassette as the mech then hits the other side! Might be more trouble than it’s worth as I’m not upgrading my trusty old 9 speed CX bike to anything else.

jonnyboi

It will foul a mid cage mech on the larger gears, but erg mode means it won’t be in issue, with a caveat that you may struggle to get below 100-120w without changing gear.

There is a 5mm spacer For 135mm frames that may help with disc mount clearance

Alex

He’s had a go with a similar bike and reckons the clearance on the caliper is fine (with the spacer) and the 32T only binds in the inner ring, so I reckon we’re good to go.

Alex

Well to complete this post. It fits. This is the Flux-S so it might have more clearance than the original. Can run every gear in both chainrings except 34/32. It’s actually a 10 speed mech, chain and shifter so I’ll upgrade chainring and cassette at some point.

If anyone is thinking of direct drive over wheel-on, there are some very good deals on the Flux as the new one is just out. I’ve not used the wheel-on that much but this is much smoother, more stable and somehow nicer (in terms of how ‘nice’ any turbo is!). It’s also less hassle in terms of calibration and faff once it’s fitted.

@jonnyboi- you’re right about ERG mode and low wattage. But there’s some elven magic going on there. For the workouts, it’s so much easier than non ERG.

Shonky set up here:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2dYX3rD]ShedOfMisery(tm) Upgrade[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QdF7DV]ShedOfMisery(tm) Upgrade[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have an (old) Boardman CX and Tacx Flux Turbo?’ is closed to new replies.