• This topic has 121 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by atlaz.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)
  • Anyone have a Road Bike?
  • cp

Mango Point R Tiagra £500. They also offer an upgrades wheel set for +£70

Cool colours too..

Huge jumps in sizes on those Mango bikes!

ogden
    Free Member

I looked at the mango point r and read through loads of forum posts about it and lots of people saying lots of corner cutting with components

Can get a frame for £240 though

ogden
    Free Member

2016 Giant Defy 0 Frame, Fork, Headset, Stem, Bars, Steatpost and saddle £260 on ebay

Shimano 105 5800 11 Speed Groupset Black – £300 – Merlincycles

Giant P-R2 Wheels £70 – ebay or an upgrade?

£630 minus cables, grip tape, pedels

Seems quite a compelling idea? decent bang for my buck?

squin
    Free Member

I think that sounds pretty decent as you’ll have a full 105 groupset for that money.

TiRed

Giant P-R2 Wheels £70 – ebay or an upgrade?

Push the boat out for some used Ksyrium Elites for about £200.

Otherwise a very sound choice. What size do you think you need?

There’s nothing wrong with the Giant wheels (have them on Teen2’s Defy) but that’s because I have his Ksyriums on my winter Defy 😈 (And they were £200 off the classifieds here).

105 is absolutely excellent. For a first road bike, this would be a great choice. I’m racing my nice Defy at the weekend, it really doesn’t feel so much different to the alloy one.

ogden
    Free Member

£200 is a bit of a push but I’m open to options around £100-120. I’m right in thinking a lot of wheels don’t take a 11 speed cassette?

iainc

ogden, as TiRed says,

There’s nothing wrong with the Giant wheels

. A lot of people swop them out straight away, maybe because they think they should, but they are a lot better now than they were a few years ago. I replaced the stock ones on my 2012 Defy Composite with Askium’s and they were noticeably better. The standard ones (disc) on my 2016 Advanced Pro feel as good as the Askium’s did.

TiRed

Just buy that frame before I do! Have a nephew chasing after my small Defy and a spare Sora groupset in the garage. I actually upgraded Teen2’s to an alloy Defy 5 frame from Ebay for £160, as I had a very nice carbon fork already.

EDIT: And the reason for suggesting Mavic is that they are 11spd compatible. Aksiums would be in your budget. Put a wanted in the classified. The Elite ES are probably the best used value though.

ogden
    Free Member

Out of stock and price range.

Does anyone know if the giant defy had an specific bottom bracket and not a standard one?

theotherjonv

interested in this too – and quite close to pushing the button on a Defy several times in the past.

What are thoughts on the Carbon vs Aluminium on the Defy’s. Worth stretching to be able to get the carbon variant. Club rides mainly – definitely not racing although I might enter some TT’s this summer just as a means of gauging progress……

squin
    Free Member

For £163 you can run Fulcrum 5s

Wiggle – Wheels

olly2097
    Free Member

Giant defy. All the road bike a non racing person needs.

olly2097
    Free Member

theotherjonv – Member
    interested in this too – and quite close to pushing the button on a Defy several times in the past.

What are thoughts on the Carbon vs Aluminium on the Defy’s. Worth stretching to be able to get the carbon variant. Club rides mainly – definitely not racing although I might enter some TT’s this summer just as a means of gauging progress….

They do defys in aluxx, aluxx SL and carbon….

Mines a defy 0 aluxx SL. Apparently it has copper mixed in the alloy to allow it to be lighter whilst maintaining stiffness. Has carbon fork/seat post. Is awesome and comfy.

iainc

What are thoughts on the Carbon vs Aluminium on the Defy’s

have ridden both and deliberated when I bought a Composite 1 in 2012. There wasn’t much in it IMO. The Composite felt a little more compliant on a 50 mile test ride. Over the 4 years I had it, I rated it as the most comfy road bike I have ever ridden,and infact have just replaced it with a 2016 model. There are many racier setups out there, but I don’t think many that are more comfortable for the average enthusiast

ogden
    Free Member

Got that frame set for £240! Now wheels and what specific bits in the 105 groupset

opusone
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at getting a road bike to commute on and build up fitness wonder if anyone has one or opinions on them as I don’t know much about them.

Have you thought about getting a single speed? If you don’t need gears, you might find an SS a bit more reliable at the budget you’ve set.

EDIT – Genesis Flyer on sale at about 500 here

squin
    Free Member

Post some pics up when it’s built, we all like a pic 🙂

TiRed

What are thoughts on the Carbon vs Aluminium on the Defy’s

Have one of each (Defy 5 and a Defy Advanced SL). The carbon is a nicer ride. But not THAT much nicer. It is lighter and stiffer (7.2 vs 8 kilos). But the Alloy is 100 miles comfortable – mine has a very light carbon fork and light wheels and Ultegra 6600 – and frankly, a magnificent bike.

Alloy and used bits

Carbon and shiny bits

You be the judge 😉

And the green one is going racing on Sunday on a hilly course with the nice carbon wheels and a 28T cog!

ogden
    Free Member

Could anyone with a medium defy or anyone who knows help me? I’m going to buy a 105 groupset tonight but what is the crank length for the medium frame? Is the front mech braze on or band on? And do I need a Short or medium cage mech?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Braze on front mech
    Crank length is personal preference
    Cage length depends on which chainset and cassette you spec.

ogden
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply, how do I choose crank length if Im yet to have a preference lol

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get the shortest ones is probably your best bet. 170mm or less.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Probably best off getting a compact set with 50/34t chainrings and a 28/11 cassette. I think this should work with a short cage mech aswell.

squin
    Free Member

I’d get a medium cage mech so you can run any cassette you like e.g.. up to 32t

I think you’ll either want a 172.5 or 170 crank length. What is your leg length?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

32t cassettes and medium cage mechs really do spoil the look of a nice road bike 😉

A medium cage mech will probably better with a compact and a 28t cassette, although if you don’t cross chain then it doesn’t matter.

Infact a 25t cassette will be better if you don’t live anywhere too hilly.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think you’ll either want a 172.5 or 170 crank length. What is your leg length?

I don’t think leg length matters too much. Just get the short ones; no disadvantages.

squin
    Free Member

Haha, I couldn’t give a sh1t what my 32t cassette looks like when I’m blowing out of my arse

ogden
    Free Member

Inside leg is 30-31, yeah live in North Yorks moors so quite a few hills.

What would people recommend to go with?

squin
    Free Member

I’d say
    50/34 cranks with 170 arms
    Medium cage
    11-32 cassette (you’ll get up anything)

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I think this should work with a short cage mech swell.

all shimano short cage road mechs work with 32t cassettes

Stainypants

Forget what someone else thinks about what your bike looks like. if you fancy climbing up Rosedale chimney (30%) your legs might thank you for a 32 cassette. its a cheap swap if you decide you need closer ratios. I’ve never been bothered by large jumps on the rear cassette.

When I was less fit I had a 36 at the back (trickier and expensive to do on 11 speed ) and I wa glad for it in he pryrenees.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

all shimano short cage road mechs work with 32t cassettes

Yeh, but the chain’ll be too long so it’ll rub on the rear mech when in 34 11/12/13 etc.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

30% hills are hard no matter what cassette you have. Don’t get the 32; this is meant to be a road bike afterall…….

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Yeh, but the chain’ll be too long so it’ll rub on the rear mech when in 34 11/12/13 etc.

no it doesn’t

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

no it doesn’t

🙂

So what’s the medium cage mech for then……?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

no idea

I’ve done it, the chain doesn’t rub, theres a million videos showing it doesn’t rub, just wind in the b-tension and job done

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

okay, imagine this scenario……

You’re in the 50t ring, can you shift all the way into the 32t without any difficulty?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have a Road Bike?’ is closed to new replies.