Anyone have a pressurised hot water tank?

Home Forum Chat Forum Anyone have a pressurised hot water tank?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone have a pressurised hot water tank?
  • They’re very well insulated, pretty much useless for airing as they’re so good. I usually fit a tiny radiator in there with an electric element for summer use

johndoh

Yeah we’d been told that they were very well insulated. So are you a plumber? I had wondered on that but didn’t know if would be safe.

johndoh

In a traditional airing cupboard – do they give off much heat in order to use the cupboard in the normal ‘airing’ manner?

Yes, I’ve fitted quit a lot of them. They’re far superior to the antiquated gravity fed hot water cylinder, much better than a combi boiler too imho

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

We have a megaflow, is that what you mean ?

Slightly warmish (mostly due to the surrounding pipework I think)

It’s good for water – occasional “recharging” the airlock or whatever but otherise you’d not notice it

(my wife & 2 daughters can empty it by each having showers, but that’s probably an unusual demand to place on one I reckon 🙄 )

Megaflow are a pain in the arse for that very reason. All the ones I’ve seen in New build houses are just too small, 150 liters is not enough. I would normally fit a 210ltr in an average family home as a minimum. 250 if space allows

Subscriber

ours is 250L 😳

allthegear

Got me thinking now…

So,I currently have a gravity fed tank but live in a flat so the little cold water tank is just on top of the hot water. Is it possible to replace the pair with one of these?

I suppose I would finally get hot water of the same pressure as cold water?? Excellent!!

Rachel

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

We have used them for years – no issues unlike our combi boilers (old and new) of past days. They (pressurised) seem more popular up here in Scotland.

Premier Icon nickdavies
    Subscriber

I’ve got one and like above its not great for heating the airing cupboard. Pipe work is the warmest bit so normally dries clothes a bit faster but only if you put a few in. Gret shower though 🙂

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

I’ve had one for 10 years (I assume that’s what it is as it has a pressure gauge 😳 ) we also have a normal hot water tank in airing cupboard and with the pipe work it’s warm enough to keep towels, sheets etc warm and dry. As noted its not so good for drying damp stuff, we hand that elsewhere.

Yes Rachel, it should be a relatively straight forward job to swap them. Unvented cylinders can be located anywhere, however they do need a drain pipe to the outside ideally. In theory it should never, ever be used, but it’s a safety feature in case the pressure or temperature gets too high

Subscriber

they do need a drain pipe to the outside ideally. In theory it should never, ever be used, but it’s a safety feature in case the pressure or temperature gets too high

our megaflow dribbles out of its pipe when it needs recharging

Will I die ? 🙁

Mr Trump

I had a 250 ltr one fitted in the loft when building an extension, requires a 22mm mains water feed and a 22mm overflow to ground level ( so you don’t squirt hot water from above), its very well insulated so doesn’t give off any waste heat however I would think that if you leave the pipework in the airing cupboard uninsulated it should do the business

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

our megaflow dribbles out of its pipe when it needs recharging
    Will I die ?

So does ours. It’s how I know it needs recharging. If it’s still doing it after you recharge it, then you’ll die. Horribly.

It’s normal, that’s just the pressure release valve doing its job. Without the air bubble, the water pressure can build up as it heats up. Too high and the valve should release. You should check the valve manually every few months, just give it a quarter turn and a bit a water will be released. If you don’t do this regularly, they can seize. Should be 2 on there, but some are combined into 1

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have a pressurised hot water tank?’ is closed to new replies.