• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone have a Montane Dyno Jacket ?
  • Mounty_73

Looking at getting a soft shell or similar, does anyone have the above jacket ?

I have a few Montane products and been really pleased with it.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve got an older version but it uses the same fabric, Pertex Equilibrium. It’s at the sort of wind resistant end of the soft shell scale, not particularly good with rain but sort of medium wind resistant and very breathable plus good at wicking.

If you want a moderate amount of weather protection, but very good breathability and wicking, it’s a good jacket – I like Montane’s cut etc. If you want something completely windproof and close to a waterproof in wetter conditions, it’s not that way inclined, if that makes sense?

The description on the Montane web site’s quite fair but talks more about wicking than protection. PowerShield’s a good fabric if you want more wind and rain protection but still decent breathability fwiw, have a look at their Mantra jacket for that.

carbon337
    Free Member

Its not very thick and you need a fleece zip up jumper type top on underneath in the cold.

Other than that its excellent and a good cut. Breathable and fine in light rain.

I got mine on Amazon – 2011 model only £50 so search about, its the black one so no red zips.

singletrackjon
    Free Member

Matt’s got one and he love it – the review is up on the front page here…

http://www.singletrackworld.com/reviews/montane-dyno-jacket/

chrisrhayes

Got one and use it daily. Totally agree with @badlywireddog in para 2 here. It will shrug off some rain for a bit and some wind, but it’s not as windproof and waterproof as others. Good enough for me, but if you need utter protection, maybe its not enough.

What I find is that I can wear it out, and then later inside, people say, why have you still got your coat on? I look down and forgot it’s still on.

I would buy another if I lost this one.

Mounty_73

Cheers for the feedback, I am looking more at breathability as I run quite warm underneath.

The only other one I have looked at is the Endura windchill, any other suggestions ?

MSP

I have both, I prefer the endura windchill, I don’t like the feel of the material on the montane, and black is never a good colour for cycling even when mainly off-road, you will still inevitably have to do a mile or two on road.
    The windchil has no water protection on the main body so would need to be used with a gilete in damp conditions.

Mounty_73

How well does the Windchill breathe ?

MSP

well the outer sleeves and front are a winproof softshell type material, the inner part of the sleeve and the main body are a roubaix material, it has pit zipps and rear pockets. I would say it operates over a higher range of temps, and wicks well.
    It breathes really well, but the montane actually isn’t properly windproof, you can feel the wind passing through the material.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have a Montane Dyno Jacket ?’ is closed to new replies.