Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone have a KMC 10sp Powerlink Come undone mid ride?
  • jimification
    Free Member

This happened the other day…just riding along, minding my own business and off popped the chain. I can’t see how but the magic link appeared to have come undone on its own.

Chain is a KMC X10 SL. I *had* recently refitted it but rode 40 miles before it made a bid for freedom. Can’t see how it could come undone on its own but pretty sure I fitted it correctly. Is there a reason they say they’re not reusable? Might make me rethink my magic link purchasing strategy (ie: buying some and not just reusing the old ones) Anyone else had one come undone?

fadda

I had one do the same, at the FoD a few weeks ago. I thought they were supposed to be reusable though?

fadda

Double post

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    boltonjon

Been re-using them for the last 6 months – not sure how many times i’ve recycled each one, as i get another one in the pot every time i get a new chain

I’ve not had any failures on powerlinks in that time – but maybe 4 or 5 breakage in other links though

boltonjon

Been re-using them for the last 6 months – not sure how many times i’ve recycled each one, as i get another one in the pot every time i get a new chain

I’ve not had any failures on powerlinks in that time though

matther01
    Free Member

My understanding is they are reusable (although I grabbed a bargain and I picked a pack of 10 from Amazon for £12 to last me for the rest of my days).

Dibbs
    Free Member

The power link on my CX bike (Sram, I think) came apart on Sunday, the bike’s only done a couple of hundred miles but I think the Sram website says the links are not re-usable.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

KMC are definitely reusable and would think it wasn’t quite on right to have come off

rOcKeTdOg

Sort of..

jimification
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I’ve never had one come lose before and reusing them once seems like it wouldn’t weaken the fastener too much, so suspect you are right and perhaps it wasn’t quite snapped in correctly on one side.

Rocketdog: Crikey! New PB on the power meter when that went eh? 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have a KMC 10sp Powerlink Come undone mid ride?’ is closed to new replies.