Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone Had TURP?
  • Sandwich

Last weeks meeting with the urology consultant showed up that the drugs are no longer working and I need a rebore.

Has anyone had it done and willing to share their experience of it? I’ve around a year to get ready as that’s the average wait from going onto the list.

(TURP – Transurethral Resection of the Prostate).

tjagain

Its a common operation but with a lot of potential side effects. If you have the money to pay then in Germany you get much more modern surgical options with less ill effects. My brother in law had his done there as they have state of the art robotic surgery

Having said that it does work and can be life saving

matt_outandabout

My dad had it this autumn. He is 74. We went walking at the beach three days later as he pretty much bounced back. Minimal discomfort, seemed to stop bleeding in 36hrs.
    First pee was somewhat
    null

ratherbeintobago

My brother in law had his done there as they have state of the art robotic surgery

Is that not a total prostatectomy? Never heard of a robot assisted TURP.

alpin
    Free Member

Well this has put me right off my glass of red and salami…..

tdog
    Free Member

Bore! Sounds like he’s opening up his carbed motorcycle engine to give it more free flowing power

Sandwich

mattoutandabout has it, being able to pee properly is going to be a relief (!) Dad had a similar operation in 2000 his has had a bit of bleeding in the last couple of years but generally it’s been no bother.

matt_outandabout

It is an operation, with all the potential side effects that go with it.

Dad is more than happy after years of discomfort and the operation put back and back due to him having haemachromatosis / very high blood pressure / on warfarin…

Sandwich

I’m young (at 57!) compared to the normal age range for this op. No other drugs to worry about just the 12 months wait to get to the top of the list. (I’ll be able to stop the Tamsulosin once it’s done). I suspect I’m on the Finasteride until I die due to my somewhat enlarged prostate (6 times larger than usual at the last count).

epicyclo

I believe that injecting steam into the prostate is a procedure that relieves the pressure – apparently kills off some cells and reduces prostate size.

Sounds like fun – I wonder if the surgeon wears Steam Punk goggles etc… 🙂

hols2
    Free Member

they have state of the art robotic surgery

Sandwich

Steam op not cleared at our trust yet. I’m hopeful that the delay may mean I can benefit from this as it’s a little less stressful.

bigjim

my old man waited many many months for the procedure only for them to then decide the day before it was too big for the nhs to deal with (nobody had checked the scans) and had to be lasered and he would have to go private after all. you’re relatively young but that’s a long time to lose so I would certainly be making sure that wouldn’t end up happening to you!

rOcKeTdOg

The laser version makes the chippings look like cooked turkey mince when they are fixed in formalin before testing.

The TURP ones look like the grey-brown mince colour

HTH, will be up to my neck in specimen pots of the things from tomorrow

footflaps

My father has had it, as has a colleague at work, both recovered fine with no ill effects. Seems quite a common operation.

tdog
    Free Member

Youchy!

All best to those who having this procedure

Sounds like old age will have it’s perks of chatting up the nurses

Sandwich

Had the operation on Friday afternoon. Spinal nerve block and awake for the whole experience, the scene of crime was screened off to avoid too much stress. Apparently I only had 2/3 of the blockage removed due to prostate size and if this isn’t enough I’ll need to go back for round 2.

It went well and I’m back home having spent 36 hours with a catheter in place. This morning I had the drain out (it’s bit ouchy) and by 3pm I was in the car coming home.

First pee was a bit sore and stings like a bastard. I had some paracetamol to ease things up this morning but no further pain relief has been needed today. I may take some for bed this evening.

Also the food was a revelation for mass produced. All hot and tasty stuff. The mash and porridge worked well to with no lumps.

footflaps

My Father has had it, as has a colleague at work, both pretty straightforward; everything still working afterwards.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone Had TURP?’ is closed to new replies.