• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by lcj.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone had their VW retuned yet to save baby robins 'n kids lungs?
  • 40mpg

I had a letter this morning from the Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency with a VW logo on it too.

It talks of a software update which will:
    Enhance the fuel injection pattern
    not affect service life of teh engine
    use advances in diesel combustion technology
    not change engine performance
    not change max torque or noise levels
    Not change MPG or CO2 values

Someones fitted a moon to a stick!

Anyone actually had this carried out and can verify there’s no useable difference? I’m keen to get it done to appease my social conscience (and save some baby birds).

Another thought – will this become compulsory or affect MOT if not done?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Had my Amarok done while it was in for a service as I’m having it remapped anyway.

No noticeable difference in performance or economy, but I have noticed several new baby robins in my garden since the update.

I think the mechanic just leant against it for another 10 minutes having a fag.

DickBarton

If it improves the engine waste then it was probably while he vaped…

bear-uk
    Free Member

The update possibly lets the engine free rev over 2500 rpm so they can be checked better with a smoke meter.

scaredypants

so what does it do, other than enhance the fuel injection pattern – whatever the **** that means. no effect on performance, longevity, torque, noise, economy

What are they claiming regarding better emissions ?

molgrips
    Free Member

It might alter injection timing at different rpms and compensate for it elsewhere maybe with more boost or something. There’s a lot of things you can mess with.

johnners
    Free Member

It talks of a software update which will:
    Enhance the fuel injection pattern
    not affect service life of teh engine
    use advances in diesel combustion technology
    not change engine performance
    not change max torque or noise levels
    Not change MPG or CO2 values

If true it does make me wonder why they didn’t do all this clever stuff before instead of fiddling it and landing themselves in the shit.

Stoner
    Free Member

Exactly, jonners

Came home to the letter yesterday that promises to reduce NOX but at no financial or performance cost. I smell a rat frankly. Im not falling over myself to get it done.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

You can reduce NOX but you will increase unburned hydrocarbons – which are less harmful I guess as they are solid particles so once your cloud of black smoke comes out of the exhaust the black particles of carbon fall to the ground rather that sit around in the air and get breathed in by baby Robins.

Anyway according to Radio 4 yesterday all bets are off once the outside air temperature falls below 18 dogs C. Apparently in order to protect the engine from destruction all the environmental and emissions targets no longer apply and god knows what concoction of nastiness is being pumped out of the exhaust. Apparently about 312 days last year were below 18 degrees so again it’s all propaganda.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Shouldn’t they just swap out the oil burner/generator and put in a petrol engine?

That’d solve it.

I have baby Robins in my garden, please don’t kill them.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Apparently about 312 days last year were below 18 degrees so again it’s all propaganda.

for someone who claims to be an expert in emissions/emissions testing I’d have thought Nick Molden/Emissions Analytics would have understood how testing standards work. Rather than making his own up and then saying that no one meets them. Which isn’t surprising.

JackHammer

You can reduce NOX but you will increase unburned hydrocarbons – which are less harmful I guess as they are solid particles so once your cloud of black smoke comes out of the exhaust the black particles of carbon fall to the ground rather that sit around in the air and get breathed in by baby Robins.

Eventually maybe. They’re sooo small they stay airborne for a longtime allowing them to get in your lungs. Although I think that’s what DPFs are for, catching all the particulate and magicking it way with catalysts/heat or something.

lcj

Had my Superb done this week as part of its service, can’t see any difference. Was the first one the dealership had done apparently so was a bit hesitant but Skoda customer services said tens of thousands had been done already with no complaints (although they would, of course!)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had their VW retuned yet to save baby robins 'n kids lungs?’ is closed to new replies.