Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Anyone had joggers' haematuria? [Squeamish content]
  • MrGreedy

Interested in hearing any first-hand experiences of this. I had a couple of episodes of visible blood in the urine after running – very worrying initially as you’d expect, but thankfully nothing dodgy found by urine/blood tests, ultrasound and endoscopy* so the consultant diagnosed the above.

However, he was a bit vague about what the actual mechanism for JH is, i.e. how the blood actually ends up there, or if there are ways of preventing it. My GP suggested trying not to run with a full bladder but I’m not sure what that’s based on, so if anyone else has experience or management strategies I’d love to hear them.

*FYI this was much less painful than I was led to expect – someone on here posted that it felt like pissing shards of hot glass afterwards so I was expecting the worst, actually it turned out to be just very uncomfortable as opposed to outright excruciating.

surfer
    Free Member

Unusual. I have never heard of this, are you sure it was related to running?
    I have read of runners doing very high mileage seeing a bit in their blood but I think it is very rare and I’ve known a lot of high mileage runners over the years and never heard of a “real world” case.
    I expect it was a bit worrying so I am glad it checked out OK.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had joggers' haematuria? [Squeamish content]’ is closed to new replies.