Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Anyone had airline lose bike permanently?
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

My demo has gone walkies, I’m assured it will turn up on the next flight. Should I be concerned?

tomhoward

Depends on the airlines policy of what they will pay for an item of lost luggage. If its a lot, then no. If its bugger all….

devash
    Free Member

Which airline?

Some of the budget ones take bikes on a ‘standby basis’ only, meaning they prioritise all other luggage first.

Basically, if the flight is full of suitcases and golf clubs, they’ll put it on the next flight with available space.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Squirelking on here lost his norco to the great terminal 5 heathrow fiasco.

About a year later he got a parcelfarce red slip …. Hadnt ordered anything.

Bam – bike.

dpfr

Airline compensation is limited under some convention or other. It is based on a (fairly low) rate per kg and the weight of the lost item. A colleague’s bag went astray with a couple of seriously expensive suits in, and the compo didn’t begin to cover the cost. Sorry to be a misery but hope the bike shows up

andyl
    Free Member

Did you take out any other insurance or will your house hold insurance cover it?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

No and no. I won’t panic yet. Next flight isn’t until tmrw.

matt_outandabout

Last week a colleague had her posh tri bike lost by BA on way home from Europe dualathon champs . She had been told if they haven’t found it in two weeks, then it will be “lost” – but they won’t confirm that they would pay for £4k bike… I suspect not.

jota180
    Free Member

Easyjet coughed up £2k for my motorcycle leathers and helmet etc.
    Once they’d done a bit of due diligence on the value etc. they sent me the cash

DT78
    Free Member

My snowboard and kit turned up seven days later, easyjet.

Not a nice feeling waiting for your luggage to come out when everyone else has picked theirs up and buggered off. Especially when you have a taxi waiting too.

STL

Took 6 days for my non-bike bag to follow me to the UK from the US. I’d given up hope of ever seeing it again.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Well did it turn up wysiwyg?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Well, WYSIWYG, so I guess not.

matt_outandabout

Colleagues turned up today – bike is fine, but (borrowed) bike bag is trashed. It looks like they dangled it from the back of a plane as it taxied and took off. 😯

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Still no bike. Online tracking says zip

Montreal act gets me about a grand back. Yay

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ours turned up a day late in Rotorua as there was no room on the 12 seat plane for 3 bike bags. Though there was a thing to sign saying that the bike is basically just a big suitcase and they valued it as nothing. The plus side is if it’s the way home you don’t need to carry it home.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

So 3 grand down but at least I didn’t have to unbox it to put it in the car..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lol no mine turned up but if it didn’t travel insurance would cover a rental bike for the week and home insurance would cover the replacement. It’s quite simple.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Update: no one has answered phone or emails from either the airline or the baggage co. Yay

nick1962
    Free Member

Just think some lucky soul will be able to buy your bike for about £50 at a Lost Luggage auction.Every cloud has a silver lining.
    Shouldn’t you be naming and shaming the airline in the social media to get some action??

njee20
    Free Member

Aye, tweeting them may not be a bad shout!

andyl
    Free Member

+1 seems like the only option now.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

As njee says, see if the airline has a facebook page, then raise the issue on there.
    You seem very cool about it all, don’t think i would be so tolerant. I would be camped on their check in at the airport with a suitably worded placard. 😈

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I expect to see it on baggage battles on Dave in 2 years.
    My name and address is written on the box. So surely it must have been half inched

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Well after a brief twitter exchange it’s suddenly “delivery initiated” we wait and see

deadkenny
    Free Member

This is why I drive. Europe at least. Have had experience of ski gear going walk about and turning up at the airport for the next few days to check if it’s turned up, but nothing and having to rent crappy rental stuff. Okay for a long holiday but it would write off many mtb trips. Worse if permanently lost and the bike is very custom.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I waited 6 or 7 days for my bike to turn up in NZ after the airline lost it. They had absolutely no idea where it was. The stickers on it suggested it sat about in Shanghai for a few days.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I once had a bike turn up that went missing on a Rio de Janerio – Heathrow flight that had been all the way around the world. It took about 2 weeks to turn up.

robowns
    Free Member

Twitter is the worlds best invention.
    I got my reverb sent to Germany for warranty repairs. On the way back DHL contracts Parcelforce to do the delivery within the UK.
    Parcelforce delivered it to the wrong address/driver stole it, and I never got a card saying anything.
    I didn’t find out until about a month and a half later because the warranty had already taken about 3 months by now so I wasn’t chasing it daily.
    They fobbed me off numerous times and I had basically given up hope.
    My girlfriend went on their Twitter and raised the situation – about a week later I had a refund for the full amount.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

She’s back. According to the stickers somehow ended up in Taiwan, Taiwan to Montreal to who knows where to me.

Phew.

wwaswas

Phew indeed. 🙂

chrishc777
    Free Member

Check they haven’t taken the Demo and put some Taiwanese thing in there instead! Cos that would be terrible! 🙄

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had airline lose bike permanently?’ is closed to new replies.