Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Anyone had a knee replacement?
  • Albanach
    Free Member

It’s looking ever increasingly likely that I’ll need one in the not to distant future, unless the steroid injection works miracles. I’ve had 3 knee surgeries in the past but the knee has developed arthritis, I’ve virtually no cartilage, no ACL, any lateral movement is painful, it constantly gives way and is having an affect on day to day interaction with my kids. The pain is pretty bad.
    Has anyone gone through this in their late 30s/early 40s? What were your experiences good and bad?
    Thanks

shermer75
    Free Member

No I haven’t but I’ve rehabbed plenty.

Key points are:

Their life span is increasing all the time, to the point that 20 years is not unusual

It will become stiff and useless unless you stick to your post OP exercise regime

You have youth on your side, which is a good indicator for successful outcome of any type of surgery, TKR included

Albanach
    Free Member

Thanks Shermer. The ability to rehab it properly whilst young is a big plus for me to go ahead with it. My main sport is golf and the kids are just getting on to 2 wheels so would love to get them out onto some trail centres Not sure if it makes a difference but I’m a tall man at 6’5” and roughly 105kg & I am probably leaner and fitter than I’ve ever been due to 3 gym sessions a week and watching what I eat/drink.
    I your experience what are the improvements in range of movement in post TKR patients? My range of movement is very restricted and only getting worse.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shadowrider
    Free Member

I’m hopefully having an operation to tidy my knee up today, I’ve had it cancelled twice already. I’ve got a lot of arthritis in the joint and been told I’ll need a new knee but keep being told I’m too young ( I’m 47). I had a hip replacement 2 years ago which has been amazing but there seems to be a reluctance to give me a new knee.

handybar
    Free Member

OP, out of interest what were the previous knee surgeries?
    People are having knee replacements earlier on, partial knee replacements are proving quite popular too and the results coming in from an oxford uni study into their effectiveness are very promising. A lot of people I know say they regret not having a knee replacement earlier on in life.
    There’s also new technology coming along to help regrow cartilage but that may still be 10 years off from coming to market.
    You are doing the right thing by staying active in the meantime. Are you using painkillers during the gym sessions?

joeegg
    Free Member

My wife has had two new knees and a hip replacement,with the first knee being in her 40’s.
    She didn’t follow the regime for her first knee and paid for it as her recovery took over 2 years. Swimming was easily the best recovery tool.

ton

had a operation to repair my ACL about 15 years ago. also had both knees done with keyhole to trim cartilage.
    now both knees are full of arthritis.
    also had a hip replacement and a ankle fusion for arthritis.

your body not coping with the pain will tell you when is time for the operations.

but once done, be as strict as possible with your rehab.

good luck.

longdog
    Free Member

Had a partial knee replacement last July on NHS. I was 48 then and had arthroscopy for meniscus damage about 9 years previous. It was a long and painful drag waiting on the NHS , but I don’t regret it one bit.

I had good ROM, but was in lots of pain walking. Pain and discomfort sitting, driving, sleeping etc. Oddly it was pretty good cycling, though I got big gears on the bike and I did get cortisone injections (they have to stop 3-6 month before a replacement, time depends on surgeon).

My ROM before was excellent and with dedicated rehab it still is; fully straight to 120+ degrees. I can squat down no problem, but not kneel on it.

Rehab is massively important as is doing as much strengthening and mobility as you can before the op.

I am having some issues as it gets tired, heavy and slow especially with too much walking and cycling. But I have done 6-8 mile walks and up to 40mile rides, which is asking a lot if it. My job is pretty active too.

At my year review I was told its still healing and I’m really doing too much and asking much more than they’d expect from it, so to back off. I do know people who have run after one, but I doubt I will.

My other knee is playing up now, but not so bad yet.

Feel free to pm with any questions as its often hard to keep track of threads and responses here.

Albanach
    Free Member

OP, out of interest what were the previous knee surgeries?
    People are having knee replacements earlier on, partial knee replacements are proving quite popular too and the results coming in from an oxford uni study into their effectiveness are very promising. A lot of people I know say they regret not having a knee replacement earlier on in life.
    There’s also new technology coming along to help regrow cartilage but that may still be 10 years off from coming to market.
    You are doing the right thing by staying active in the meantime. Are you using painkillers during the gym sessions?

I had the first 2 operations in Glasgow and the 3rd in Bristol (Jonathan Webb). I’m based in Ireland now and have been to Santry Sports Clinic. More recently I had a benign tumour removed from my good knee.

I have never liked or had any need to take any painkillers following gym sessions as I’m not doing anything which aggravates it. I do however take anti-inflammatories before and after golf or hillwalking.

Albanach
    Free Member

Thanks longdog I’ll keep that in mind regarding pm big for more info.

mos

My friend and also my dad both had one in october, friend 44, dad 71.
    Both rigorously did the rehab, friend is fully recovered now, dad still getting there which is probably an age thing. Both are riding and walking more than before so success i would say.

fatandgrey
    Free Member

I had a half knee replacement about three years ago. Over the years the knee has had Cartilage ops both sides and two Arthroscopy ops to ‘wash’ it out. Initially the replacement wasn’t great but I changed physio who used a much stronger regime and pushed it more, which had great results. I now don’t even think about it although the other knee is starting to give me issues.

deserter
    Free Member

I have a snapped ACL, I’m 42 and work in a heavy physical job doing 12 hours on my feet, I was at the stage of my knee swelling up and letting ‘go’ several times a day and having to ice it every night take ibruprofen daily and where a custom made knee brace everyday, Doctor said the bones are worn see you in 20 years and good luck, thought I might have to change career, spent $7000 on stem cell injections here in Canada and started doing legs at the gym every 2nd day, knee feels great and it was the best money I spent, I’m about a year in, it doesn’t swell, isn’t painful and feels stronger

jimdubleyou

My stepfather had a knee replacement last year, but he’s 75 so not a great comparison. He’s got enough movement to cycle with a crank reducer.

Guy at work had a “facing” replacement, where they cover the ends of your existing bones in custom titanium. He was 50ish, and has got back to good movement and playing walking football.

Mrs Dubs will probably need one at some point – 2 cal repairs and 3 cartilage repairs mean she’s a prime candidate…

gingerman69

Research your surgeon and be happy you can have an honest conversation with him about what is best for you and what you can do after – do your ur research on him / her online.

If your ‘damage’ is only in one part, the middle compartment of the knee you may be suitable for a uni / half knee which will preserve more soft tissue and should feel more natural. Make sure your surgeon is experienced in doing them – look him up on njr surgeon profile online.

And do your rehab but remember you are replacing biology with mechanics and we know bearings wear out in bikes ……

longdog
    Free Member

As I said I had a partial by a good surgeon who was an ex team sky doc!

But don’t be fooled into thinking a partial is less significant or easier to recover from than a full knee. I was hoping to be back at work by 12 weeks, but a flare up at 10 weeks meant I was off for 16 weeks before a phased return to work.

Apart from anything else you then have half a false knee trying to mesh/work with you natural knee so I get inflammation that gives a bleb on the outside of my knee when I over so it (which I’m prone to do!).

I’m currently having to rest it up after some challenging steep and rocky walks that upset it. Uphill is fine, but downhill with big steps and rocks it really doesn’t like. But I’m able to do so much more than before the op.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

As I understand it, knee replacement is the one ortho surgery you want to delay having as long as possible

That’s coming from someone who has carried out their fair share knee replacements

winston
    Free Member

My dad had a knee replacement earlier this year. He’s 80 and is now back on a bike! He says his knee is the best its been since his 40’s.  Was a very good private surgeon but dad has had issues with his knee for a long time and I’m impressed with the way its gone.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A nice fun watch for anyone contemplating

https://www.my5.tv/operation-live/season-1/episode-2-2-2-2-2

shermer75
    Free Member

I your experience what are the improvements in range of movement in post TKR patients?

We aim to get a bare minimum of 90 degrees, which is enough to be able walk down the stairs, but being a young’un you can expect to get a lot more (similar to the 120+ mentioned above) if you stick to your post op exercises.

Caveat: all patients are different, there is always a small risk of complications (infection etc)

Caher

Mine was cancelled 3 times a few years ago so I’ve had steroid injections since. I’m bone on bone. Previous I have had cartilage removal 5 times 2 knees. Lifetime of rugby and football.
    I’m in no hurry to have a total knee replacement as I can cycle a 100 miles with no pain but can no longer run and need ibuprofen after long walks. But I’m not sure I’d be significantly better with a new knee.
    The technology needs to move on a little more.

nick1c
    Free Member

I have had one at 58. My flexion is slightly better than it was pre op (130-140deg), I have slowly regained full extension, can kneel &, most importantly have no day to day pain.
    As I understand it there are 2 opposing factors that determine the time to get it done – revisions are more difficult that the 1st replacement (they have a finite lifespan & the harder you push it the faster it will wear) and the worse your rom is pre-op the worse it is likely to be post op.
    My symptoms didn’t have a linear progression, working on strength, flexibility and balance, together with modifying my activity & wearing shock absorbing footwear resulted in me feeling better than the images would have suggested – until I ran out of the ability to compensate, at which point they worsened fairly rapidly.
    I chose a cautious surgeon who only did knees and paid for post op rehab.
    At the point at which I decided to have it done it was affecting my sleep each night & I was reluctant to walk 200m.
    Post op I was on crutches for 6 weeks to give it a chance to settle and the rehabbed pretty intensively. Rehab & your attitude are key.
    I have been advised to avoid skiing, windsurfing, running & singles racquet sports. I still surf, paddle board, cycle & do yoga.
    Hope this helps.

mildbore

Caher, like you I put off having the op for about 10 years because it wasn’t affecting my riding but walking caused me pain. I had a total replacement a year ago because I reached the point where I couldn’t walk 400m without pain and also it was affecting my sleeping. As others have said rehab is key. I get 125°+ movement now and I’m informed that’s as much as possible, it has a limit on movement. It’s a bit like fitting a Raleigh part to a Santa Cruz, the new part is heavier, bigger, clunkier and has limited movement but overall I’m very pleased, now I can do 10 mile hill walks again as well as play football with my grandson. TLDR: Don’t leave it too long

Albanach
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses folks.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had a knee replacement?’ is closed to new replies.