Anyone had a frame powdercoated

Home Forum Bike Forum Anyone had a frame powdercoated

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anyone had a frame powdercoated
  • Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I got one done by Hendersons in Edinburgh, sadly they did a shit job of it- they’re not incompetent, they just couldn’t be bothered doing it right so masked it badly and got blasting media into the finish. It looked good from a distance though

[url=https://flic.kr/p/aUWfD6]It was all yellow[/url] by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

Just got a frame anodised by Steve the Anodiser, that’s a very different finish so not for everyone but I love it- and cheaper than you might think. There’s a risk that the original metal is ugly in some way and won’t take teh colour, though- mine has a wee defect in it which luckily I could sticker over but it wasn’t pretty. Anodising has no “coverage” like paint or powder.

tops 5

Any pics Northwind? Not looking to do it but sounds interesting

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Not the best backdrop ever 🙂 But it catches the look of the finish pretty well

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nNpWbS]IMG_2737[/url] by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

Premier Icon proutster
    Subscriber

Need to clear up the rubbish from your back garden and kick the banana habit 😉

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

MOAR BANANERS!

dooge

I am currently riding a second hand Nomad thats been powdercoated, so far, so good. I have mates that swear by it for providing a tough finish.

georgecats_0

As above, thinking bout having my next frame powdercoated it will be a full Susser by the way

Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

We have had a few done. All been first class jobs from start to finish. All done at LSN Coatings in Castleford

houndlegs

When I had mine done,I’ve found it brittle, don’t know if it just wasn’t done very well or if they are all like that. Its got quite a few chips in it now. That said, it was cheap and I’m still happy with it.

Premier Icon gonetothehills
    Subscriber

I got a 456 blasted and powder coated in olde English white (can’t remember the RAL ref) then a sort of shimmer lacquer over the top. It was rock hard and a really nice finish. Got it done by a place on the outskirts of Crewe who prepped it nicely – we protected the threads with an old BB and some sacrificial bolts. Probably not to everyone’s taste but it worked quite well… 🙂 The actual look of it was somewhere between the two pics, but as you’d imagine, the light changed the look of it all the while.

Frankenstein

Argos racing cycles in Bristol are good.

Although I found the finish easily chipped.

marmaduke

Pentland Powdercoatings in Edinburgh did mine (by IKEA). Brilliant job and only cost something stupid like £40 for frame and fork.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

My powdered mega…

bencooper

I do lots with ESP in Glasgow – the trick is to find a powdercoaters who knows what they’re doing with bikes, knows what to mask and doesn’t slap it on an inch thick.

skinnyboy

I get all my powder coating and frame repairs done at a place called GripSport here in Melbourne Oz. They only do bikes, so when i got my latest build PC’ed it was a no brainer. They face all bearing surfaces and do a proper tank strip and media blast before it goes to the coaters. I assume Argos in the UK (not the Laminated book of Dreams merchants) are their equivalent.

TonyDubya

Got my battered old Cotic Powdercoated at armourtech in Hackney. Great job,

Before

And after

Lionheart

Just had an On One done in India Red, by CWS in Devon, cheap (45 for frame and forks) looks fantastic, lovely glossy deep dark red, but this one is brittle with a couple of chips by the end of the build. They masked the BB and head tube but they both needed 30 mins of cleaning up before re-building.

Had a respray (inc re-doing decals) done by Argos ten plus years ago, expensive but better than original.

Rickos

Got my BFe done locally by Edmo in Ross on Wye. £25 for an acid dip and then £25 for the powder coat. They did a nice job.

Saccades

Aye, from this:

to this:

After 6 years it’s looking a little tired, looking to get it re-done after xmas or so.

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

As ben says above, he repaired my soulcraft and sent it to ESP for powder coating and it’s a very good finish, no blemishes or marks at all.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Why does nice filet brazing like that still make me feel come over a bit funny after all these years?

Premier Icon keefmac
    Subscriber

i’ve had an Orange Patriot powdercoated by RnR powdercoating in Ripon, N/Yorks.
    had to strip it right down to the front triangle and the swingarm. It came to just under £50, and they stripped it masked it off beforehand.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/kgbzJL]patriot after[/url] by keefmac, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/kgbA1C]patriot after headbadge[/url] by keefmac, on Flickr

getting the headset cups reseated did cause the coating at the top of the headtube to chip a little, barely noticeable though. coated quite thickly so should last for ages. colour is ral6013

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

ESP are good ‘uns. I suppose you have to be when you’ve got the blue angels as repeat customers 😆

renton

I had my 5 spot powder coated by fast line coatings ……..

monkeyfudger

I had my Sunday done by Stella Blast, finish just looked decent but it was incredibly tough! I crashed that bikes brains out and it never once chipped or scratched through to the metal.

A mate recently had his road bike done by a place in Carlisle, colour ain’t my cup of tea but the finish is absolutely flawless, it’s beautiful.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had a frame powdercoated’ is closed to new replies.