Anyone had a dental implant?

Home Forum Chat Forum Anyone had a dental implant?

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Anyone had a dental implant?
  • Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

@ceepers what on earth makes you think I know nothing ?

As I posted previously I have a relative who came to the uk to practice from South Africa as its so lucrative here. Recently there was one year at his dental school in Port Elizabeth where 100% of the graduates came to the UK to practice. I have seen the books at dentists In UK and France so I have a decent idea of the amounts being made. I had a number of quite detailed conversations with my Singapore dentist who was trained and worked in UK before he kced out there for lifestyle reasons. The private sector in the UK (ie the majority of dentists in South East where I lived) is unregulated with regard to charges and not monitored by insurance companies as in other countries where these insurance companies have scales and limits for treatment costs. I think the treatment costs the NHS will reimburse are too low (that information is available publically) but its a fraction of what is charged privately.

I know a number of GP’s and they are nothing like as well off as their equivalent local small town dentists

I vote with my feet and for the past 6 years have had all my dental work done in Singapore or Paris.

Premier Icon ceepers
    Subscriber

Ok so you are a member of the public who thinks he knows about the profession from a limited amount of experience of dentistry in an area of the country that is not exactly typical with regards to costs or incomes. Who has had conversations with a dentist who left the uk because the grass WAS greener somewhere else (although there aren’t huge numbers of belgian or french dentists in the uk despite how much we are all raking it in which kinda says something!)

You are comparing us to countries that have wildly different healthcare systems and systems of funding and different general costs and expectations of standards of living.

You are not a member of the profession with many years of experience working in the NHS and private sector including running their own business, so no, you dont know enough, you just have a preconcieved incorrect idea you are looking to justify. Your implications are offensive to the many hard working dentists who are trying to offer a standard of care at the highest level within what is quite frankly a laughable system without going bankrupt or mad from stress (bet you didnt know that dentistry ranks third in the list of jobs that have the highest suicide rate!) If the whole thing was insuarance based we would all be much happier – the insuarance companies generally pay a lot more than the “going rate” for private fees in most of the country

Premier Icon ceepers
    Subscriber

ps isnt internet arguing fun?!

bikebouy

I hope this thread doesn’t turn into a “Dentistry should be free” but just to give you another POV my mate (qualified dentist, so too his wife) own a dentist shop and have recently got locum(s) in whilst they sail around the world, they are 4 years into a 7 year “tour”

As far as my opinion on the matter goes, Dentistry should be free, we pay NI and Taxes to fund the NHS, this is part of the NHS.
    😉

Premier Icon ceepers
    Subscriber

It would be great if it was free but the NHS cant afford half decent dentistry even with the patient paying most of the costs as it is.

In fact there have been charges for nhs dentistry since 3 years after the NHS was formed.

Here’s a good example….. i recently made a bridge for a patient to rplace a couple of missing teeth. This is a treatment that is available on the nhs but the cost to me of buying the alloy and porcelain for the bridge and for getting it made was more than the total fee the nhs paid the practice for the whole job so i was on a loser even if i wrote off the cost of the other materials, heat, light etc as well as working for nothing myself and expecting my nurse and receptionist to work for free. I would have been better off giving the guy £50 and telling him to go somewhere else but thats not ethical so i didn’t.

This isnt an unusual situation and you cant run a business where your costs exceed your fees for any great percentage of the time (believe me the banks dont like that!) and this is the problem with NHS dentistry. The only way the NHS model works is by doing a huge volume of work with the cheapest materials as quickly as possible – often why people have bad experiences of treatment at some NHS practices. Personally i and many others believe that this model limits the quality of work & standard of care you can offer, therefore many practices opt out of the NHS to some degree so they can spend more time with people and use beter materials and do a better job.

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

Thanks to NHS dentistry in the 60’s and 70’s every dentist used to drill and fill cos that’s how they earned their money. No care was taken with amalgam fillings – they were just done in a very sloppy way by using massive amounts of the substance. Preventative dentistry did not exist.

I’m now having these all removed in the hope that my health will improve.

Subscriber

I decided not to. 🙂

I’m now having these all removed in the hope that my health will improve.

It has. 8)

Subscriber

Bumpity bump!

Does anyone who’s had a dental implant have any sensitivity or autoimmune health condition? I’m back to facing this topic again and, having had a mouthful of amalgam removed, don’t want to reintroduce any metal.

Thanks from a hacked-off c_g

Premier Icon Bunnyhop
    Subscriber

As you know I had an Implant privately fitted which went badly wrong and have had problems with A low immune system and fatigue. It never occurred to me that the 2 could be linked.

Also being a child of the 60’s and 70’s and being drilled and filled in nearly every tooth to line the pockets of the local dentist,really gave me a huge distrust of dentists.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I’ve not got an implant… yet! But as soon as the bone is healed from my recently removed post/crown, i will be getting one. Reason being, at the moment I have to put up with a denture and by god it is the worst thing ever. Can’t eat properly, can’t talk properly and forever contorting my face to feel it with my tongue. Misery. Utter misery.

2 fitted about 15 years ago. Done under heavy sedation, no problems. Until about a year ago when one came out. Then the other one a couple months later. Original installation was private and not cheap but funded by criminal injuries compo. Replacement was at an NHS dental training surgery (final year students, supervised) and was a nicer place but a bit slow.
    I like but don’t eat toffee

timb34

Didn’t post first time around, but…

I had implant attempts about 20 years ago. They were not successful due to a lack of bone in the relevant areas of jawbone.

I imagine that techniques have advanced since then, but I will not be trying again. I have a titanium dental plate that I am happy with (I’ve actually had dentures long enough that it’s the opposite to Dez – i feel like I talk funny and don’t like the shape of my face if it’s not in!)

ti_pin_man

cinnamon – thanks for the bump, missed this thread first time round and like you, I’ve been considering it. I have a bridge to keep me looking NOT like a member of the Pogues and the 2/3k price is what I heard when I had the accident. I’d be interested to also hear from people who had the bone implant bit? That was the private dental prognosis, ‘mate you’ve lost bone and its chipped and fractured, it would take 2/3 ops to build it up enough to do an implant, and wold take about 12 months. Completely put me off.

Premier Icon TPTcruiser
    Subscriber

Some good work being done on bone building and biocompatibility by Julian Jones of Imperial College and Robert Hill at Queen Mary College and Delia Brauer at Otto Schott Institut. Bioglass and glass-ceramics matching bone minerals and promoting bone growth.

Premier Icon stever
    Subscriber

I have nothing useful to add but just wanted to boast… I had an extraction on Thursday in preparation for a possible implant. It all got a bit complex and hectic, and in a splendid plot twist the dentist fainted. I thought that was my job 🙂

grantway

So what is the cost of per One tooth ?

Premier Icon Bunnyhop
    Subscriber

Mine was £2,000 over 10 years ago now.

chrisa87

My dentist gave me a budget quote for around £2000 per tooth a few weeks. She left plenty of if’s and but’s in there though

nasher

in the process of having mine done in Italy, 1500 euro per tooth but is discounted as the dentist is an mtb friend. the implant is in and is now a case of getting the tooth made and fitted…… its taken 9 months so far as he recommended time for the bone to heal an grow after extraction. apparently problems arise when its done too quickly…

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had a dental implant?’ is closed to new replies.