Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Anyone got/used the new Planet X waterproof jackets yet?
  • IHN

Specifically this one:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXEBWJ/planet-x-echobase-waterproof-jacket

Any good? What the breathability like?

brant
    Free Member

Brand new, just in.
    Designed by JB.

Let me offer the same thing I offered with our helmets.
    Buy it. Use it. Keep it or send back with my name on it for a refund.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Makes no mention in the ad of breathability. You’ll sweat.

For the same money you could get something breathable.

turboferret

I’m amused at the concept of when lightening conditons worsen 🙂

Cheers, Rich

IHN

Who’s JB?

Straightliner

Think they look good, but the size chart seems somewhat spurious so no idea what size to order. Brant, surely a small is not a 50″ chest and going upwards to 60″ for the larger sizes?

brant
    Free Member

They are breathable, and JB is checking copy.
    Shot ourselves in foot again.

Straightliner

The sizing error applies to all of the 365X range as far as I can tell.

scotroutes

Jo Brand apparently

PaulB
    Free Member

Who’s JB? Ex world road race number 1 in age cat, winner of the Maratona, ex pro road rider, rode for US Postal team for example.

toys19
    Free Member

Ex world road race number 1 in age cat, winner of the Maratona, ex pro road rider road, rode for US Postal team for example.

Sounds like excellent credentials for a clothing designer.

wors

Looks good, decent price too.

mooman
    Free Member

Been looking for a waterproof. Was all set to get one of these .. untill I noticed the big PlanetX logo down the back … why spoil a jacket with a big logo running down back of it??

brant
    Free Member

Update from JB

Hi, Here are the bullet points/key factors for the new jackets

Echobase waterproof jacket

FULLY WATERPROOF

HIGHLY BREATHABLE 3 LAYER POLY TWILL/TPU FILM/TRICOT SHELL

FULLY TAPED, HEAT WELDED, WATERPROOF SEAMS

EXTRA HIGH, MESH LINED COLLAR FOR ADDED WARMTH AND COMFORT

ZIP UP WATERPROOF CHEST POCKET

ERGO CUFF AND INTEGRATED THUMB LOOP

ZIP UP WATERPROOF REAR POCKET, WITH 3 INTERNAL MESH COMPARTMENTS

OFF CENTRE MAIN ZIP FOR ADDED ERGONOMICS AND COMFORT REFLECTIVE REAR ACCENT STRIPS AND LOGO’S

EXTRA LONG ZIP PULLEYS FOR EASE OF ACCESS EVEN WITH GLOVES

(I WOULD ADD A PHOTO OF OPEN JACKET, TO SHOW HEAT WELDED SEAMS)

ON ONE STORM RIDE JACKET

FULLY WATERPROOF RIPSTOP OUTER SHELL

HIGHLY BREATHABLE 3 LAYER POLY TWILL/TPU FILM/TRICOT FABRIC

FULLY TAPED, HEAT WELDED, WATERPROOF SEAMS

PULL DOWN REFLECTIVE REAR SPLASH GUARD FOR ADDED RAIN PROTECTION (velcro closure when not in use)

DETACHABLE FLEECE LINED HOOD WITH SOFT VISOR, ADJUSTMENT CORDS AND REFLECTIVE REAR LOGO

FLEECE LINED COLLAR FOR EXTRA WARMTH

VELCRO CUFF CLOSURE STRAPS WITH REFLECTIVE TRIM

3 SPACIOUS REAR POCKETS WITH REFLECTIVE TRIM & 4TH ZIP UP POCKET FOR YOUR VALUABLES

WATERPROOF FRONT MAIN ZIP

2 FRONT/SIDE POCKETS WITH WATERPROOF ZIPS

ZIP UP WATERPROOF SLEEVE POCKET WITH MP3/PHONE CABLE INTERNAL EYELET

ECHOSTORM SOFT SHELL

PRO LEVEL SOFT SHELL WINTER JACKET

WATERPROOF OUTER LAYER

SUPER WARM, BRUSHED FLEECE INNER FABRIC

PULL DOWN REFLECTIVE REAR SPLASH GUARD FOR ADDED RAIN PROTECTION (velcro closure when not in use)

DOUBLE LAYER SHOULDER FABRIC FOR EXTRA WARMTH AND WIND PROTECTION

ZIP UP SLEEVE POCKET WITH INTERNAL EYELET FOR MP3/PHONE CABLE 3 SPACIOUS REAR POCKETS WITH REFLECTIVE TRIM 4TH ZIP UP POCKET FOR YOUR VALUABLES

SPACIOUS CHEST POCKET

EXTRA HIGH COLLAR FOR ADDED WARMTH

OFF CENTRE MAIN ZIP FOR ADDED COMFORT AND ERGONOMICS .

EXTRA LONG ERGO SHAPED CUFFS FOR IMPROVED INSULATION

Best Regards
    Jamie Burrow

Shorty12
    Free Member

I think he may like his capitals or he really likes the jacket

ianfitz
    Free Member

Do you have figures for breathability for the fabric and total weight for the jacket?

iolo
    Free Member

If you order one now will you get it before the summer?
    Or will you get the refund in october?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Hah, if you find a riding jacket breathable, you aren’t riding hard enough. 😛

The new stuff is rather competitively priced, innit!

iolo
    Free Member

It does say HIGHLY BREATHABLE, not BREATHABLE or TOTALLY BREATHABLE.

brant
    Free Member

Weight TBC tomorrow.

JB informs me that fabric is 3ply 8000mm WP/Breathable.

Do we need more tech.

TheSanityAssassin

Are they in stock at the Barnsley store?

MrOvershoot

Enough of the breathability guff as when I’m really trying a string vest is as sweaty as a bin bag!

What about the sizing??

Like others have said a small with a waist of 45″ & chest of 50″
    & XXXL with a 55″ waist & 60″ chest is pretty generous!!

I need a new commute to work in biblical storms jacket and am hovering over the buy button, but not if its like a body sock or wearing a family tent :/

robhenry85
    Free Member

that looks good, just the sort of thing i was looking for and its 3 for 2 in the shop!

booktownman
    Free Member

Good value and looks smart too – until you turn it around :o\

stumpy01

They look pretty good to me.
    I don’t mind the heavy handed branding, to be honest.

My cycling wardrobe is slowly being turned into a Planet X/On One shrine, because it all seems very good value for money and it all seems to work as well as the more expensive stuff.

matt_outandabout

Get Brant and that bearded lad to test a couple, with proper pics and thoughts.
    They do look good value, well thought out things.

rollodes
    Free Member

I can’t see a size chart at all. I wonder if sizing is like Endura (same sizes as normal non-bike clothes) or like italian brand bike clothes (order 3 sizes bigger than normal clothes for skintight fit!). The perils of internet ordering for the cyclist. Looks good though- if they can give a steer on sizing then I’ll try them.

swampi
    Free Member

Right sizing wise they are like Italian sizing,I normally have planet x clothing in large, in the echo waterproof in needed xxl as they have no stretch or give,in the softshell version i got an xl as they have plenty of stretch,, for reference I am 5’11 with 42″ chest, they seem well made and the Barnsley store had them in on Fri when I picked mine up, trying to avoid going by again tomorrow so I dont spend more cash on the range( the 365 gloves and bib tights are nice too,very comfy and warm)

scotroutes

Almost as good value as those Polaris jackets linked to earlier in this thread.

brant
    Free Member

Sizing charts being updated.
    Turns out that the dimensions were “flat” dimensions in cm, rather than conventional ones in inches, say.
    ie: used by our garment team to measure. Not really a proper guide.
    They should be updated tomorrow.

sparkster71
    Free Member

Hi all – I’ve been looking at the Echostorm waterproof/windproof softshell jacket for training, and wondering if anyone’s got any experience with this jacket? I’ve just started buying Planet X clothing and am fairly impressed but you cannot find a size guide for love or money. I’m 6′ tall with a 43″ chest and would assume that an XL will be ok… Sorry if this is a repeat of anyone’s posts or there is a size guide anywhere. I’ve asked Planet X for a size guide but in all honesty have not experienced very good customer service so doubt I’ll be getting one soon!!

Thanks in advance, sparkster71.

sparkster71
    Free Member

…in fact, if I’d just scrolled down I would have found the sizing chart!! I take it all back…

But if anyone has had any experience with the jacket or this type, I’d really appreciate some feedback…

Cheers!

mpw
    Free Member

Thread resurrection, with the bargains on at the moment does anyone have the Planet X Echobase Waterproof Jacket ? This one;

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLPXEBWJ/planet-x-echobase-waterproof-jacket

If so what is the sizing like, I’m 6’1″ and dithering over a Large or Extra Large ?

Anyone please ????

sq225917
    Free Member

5’9 44″ chest I’m an XL. Depends on how wide you are and what you intend wearing under it. Phone the Sheffield store and ask them to size one up on the most similar member of staff.

kimbers

how do u find the arms sq225917? not too long?

im similar size but an XL sounds huge

sq225917
    Free Member

I’m plus 6″ ape index so I have very long arms for my height. Call the shop and ask Olly to try one on he’s the right size, the rest of them are wee skinny roadies… Failing that I’m back at work on Saturday so can measure one up for you .

kimbers

anyone take the plunge on one- feedback?

mpw
    Free Member

I got one of the plannet-x ones. I went for an XL, I’m 6′ 1.5″ and slim build. The extra large fits like a waterproof jersey than a jacket. 100 % cycling specific. I can wear a top and thin long sleeved jersey underneath but not much else. Which is fine by me because I tend to run hot anyway. Also you don’t have a large jacket flapping about to catch the wind, or wing mirrors.

It’s got those thumb loop things at the end of the sleeves, not sure what the technical term is and a massive zip across the back which lets you access the three traditional back pockets, good feature.

Not had a chance, despite the recent wet weather to get it wet so can’t comment on the waterproof / breathability but for £30 I can’t complain. It even came by return post.

Anyone taller or wider would be better with an XXL or + size.

johnnystorm

5’11” and usually a normal large. The on-one black/orange jacket in large is OK on me but as mentioned above strictly base layer/jersey and no more underneath. Was caught out in mental rain today and it worked a treat.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yee gads it’s hideous (Planet X)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got/used the new Planet X waterproof jackets yet?’ is closed to new replies.