Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Anyone got/heard of Tilley hats?
  • BigBikeBash
    Free Member

I have never been able to find normal summer sun hats that fit me. They either sit on top of my (rather large) head or make me look like a special needs person.

This looks like a normal hat but fits and is very comfortable. It comes with a lifetime guarantee and a 2 year 50% replacement if you lose it.

First time I have heard of Tilley. Any of their other stuff any good? Seems pricey but appears well thought out.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

PS – not me in the picture, I am a handsome bloke

aP
    Free Member

Had one for about 10 years. Does the job, comes with "amusing stories about one being eaten by an elephant, retrieved and still being used".

matthewlhome
    Free Member

my wife uses one in the summer. Works well, looks ok and supposedly floats. Bloomin expensive though.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I've always fancied one, I think theyr'e the business (as far as bush hats go) but I'm so short I look like an umbrella when I'm wearing one.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Read the elephant one. They are still using it and yes, it is BLOOMING expensive.

It seems well made and well thought out. I was wondering if anyone has tried their sock. No holes for 3 years?? Mine rarely last 3 months

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Go Outdoors stock them, RRP is about £45 IIRC. Never liked them myself, but each to their own, a large part of my dislike is the price!

kongman28
    Free Member

I've had one for a few years and highly rate it. Yes they're expensive but well made, mine's been through various washes, in the sea and it still looks fine. Style wise they're an acquired taste but my big head meant like you, normal hats rarely fit.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Guess which store opened in Southampton today.

I only when there to buy DrP a tent. My hat cost nearly as much as his 3 man tent!

aP
    Free Member

LOLs at mtbers with £2k+ bikes moaning about the cost of a hat

ahwiles
    Free Member

tilley owner here, it's bombproof, keeps the rain and sun off my bald head, and makes me feel like indiana jones.

oh and yes, i've got a massive head, and trying to find a 'normal' hat like a trilby that fits has proven impossible.

it's either a tilley or sunstroke on days like this.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

SO in summary. It suits people with deep pockets and big heads.

Anyone tried their socks?

the-muffin-man

I have a great selection of seaside hats – I always forget to take by decent hat Aussie hat (not tilley) when I go away so always end up buying naff ones from the bucket and spade cabin!

Again I have a bald head and aussie hats are great for the shittiest downpours to the hottest days.

the-muffin-man

If you want a cheaper version, Rydale do one that does the job…

http://www.rydaleclothing.co.uk/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=11001&idcategory=11#details

…I have one for when I'm working in the garden.

myheadsashed

Got one really like it, got it for chrimbo……

scaredypants

I've a whiterock hat with some kerrrrazy crystals in the brim that supposedly cool you when they get wet

seems OK – cheap in the sale at cotswold, no idea how "posh" they are as a brand

Andy

You wont be dissappointed Nick. Had mine for over 10 years. Good in rain and sun. Just make sure it fits. It should sit very loosely on your head and you should be able to get 2 fingers in between head and hat band.

Pigface
    Free Member

Stupid money over here but brilliant head gear

manton69

Luckily I got all of my work to pay for ours as we are out in fields a lot of the time and in all weathers. They are great for warmer weather and are ok in the rain. If you wear them in the rain for too long they soak the water up and you can get the odd drip coming through. That said they are a lot better than any of the other hats we used to use to and these are now standard work wear.

I was actually so impressed that I bought my other half one when she wanted a hat as well and she now uses it all the time.

Bottom line : recommended and lasts at least 15 years (so far)

MoreCashThanDash

Have one of the lightweight Tilley hats, MrsSwadey has had one of the heavier weight ones since our honeymoon in Canada 8 years ago

They are expensive. They come in a huge range of sizes and several styles to help you get the right one. They keep the sun off and – more usefully – the rain as well. Neither of ours are showing any sign of wear – does the job, hardwearing and long lasting. Cost per year of life, much better than my Aussie hat that couldn't cope with a bit of rain!

shoei
    Free Member

Got a Tilley hat for my birthday. Brilliant thing. As mentioned keeps sun of the balding head and dry when it rains.
    Used to wear baseball caps, but ended up getting tops of my ears burnt and my neck.

Pricey but well worth it.

cxi
    Free Member

I've had a Tilley for a few years now. I originally objected to the cost but I stumped up after finding it was the only hat that would come close to fitting my noggin – I've got a size 8+.

Works well in the rain as well.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They either sit on top of my (rather large) head or make me look like a special needs person

I don't care if you eat crayons, interfere with farm animals, or occasionally pee on yourself…..
    You hang in there sunshine, you're friggin' special.

prettygreenparrot

had one for years – since my graham gooch hat got lost in 1997. They really work. I like the neat touches like the blurb on the little 'share this' tickets and the little plastic bag to put info & cash in.

Works a treat in all weather conditions. Keeps sun and rain off you and stuffs neatly into a bag when you don't need it.

I'm keeping mine.

CountZero

They do a heavier wool mix version with fold down ear flaps for cold weather, IIRC it's the Tilley Canadian. Nice looking hat, and not rediculous price-wise compared to similar hats. I've got a really nice wool felt hat in a similar style that cost forty-odd quid, which isn't that bad considering a quality baseball hat can cost fifteen or so. If the hat lasts ten or fifteen or more years, then it's got to be worth every penny.

vinnyeh

Speaking of Tilleys, hunt down a Tilley pressure lamp – if you've got enough cash for a hat, then the lamp might be within reach (totally different companies though). The lighting equivalent of a charcoal barbecue- fun to use, and far nicer than a led lantern, unless you need to carry it in a backpack.

aP
    Free Member

There's a local scout group to me with about half a dozen tilley lamps which they don't use because they've been judged too dangerous (what's wrong with a 3 foot flame when it hasn't quite warmed up properly?) and I've been trying to buy them off them for a couple of years. Still trying.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I got the Hemp Tilley hat last year for a transatlantic sailing trip. Has so much use. Cool in the sun and keeps my bonce dry in the wet.

Price-wise, with 20% off Cotswold Outdoor, it was a got vfm buy.

uplink
    Free Member

Have a look at Barmah hats too
    They come in big sizes

petrieboy

Tilley hemp hat here. Very comfortable on my gargantuan cranium, keeps sun off nicely and rain off too. The £20 note stashed in the top has come in handy a few times too. As it ages, it looks better too. You would look a bit special wearing it in the city, but then not as silly as with a sunburnt head.
    Expensive but good.

Andy

£20 stashed in top +1 😆

DrJ

Good if you want to look like an American tourist. Goes well with white trainers, baggy shorts, and a water bottle.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Another vote for the Tilley hemp. Less US tourist looking than the normal ones.

For those with smaller heads they do a variety of brim widths.

alpin
    Free Member

you wanna get yoursel an Akubra. it'll take a while to wear in, but it'll last you a lifetime.

Cletus

What you need is a Pith helmet. Keeps the sun off and makes you look like Lofty from It Ain't Half Hot Mum

http://www.hatsandcaps.co.uk/Indian-Pith-Helmet-P155805/

Someone must buy them!

Mof
    Free Member

How old are you folks that have Tilley hats? I tried a selection yesterday in Manchester, but wasn't convinced they suited me (or I suited them). Have some Tilley trousers and socks which have been fine.

onewheelgood

I've got a Tilley – it's great, has its own microclimate which really comes in handy.

@Mof – I'm old.

petrieboy

I'd like to think I'm a good bit younger than their typical customer, but then I've never been cool anyway 🙁

matthewjb
    Free Member

How old are you folks that have Tilley hats?

Er I'm 39.

I've got a hemp one in mocha.

[img]http://www.tilleyuk.com/images/styles/detail/TH4-6.jpg[/img]

I like to think it's a younger man's style.

druidh
    Free Member

Are they suitable for use in Vietnam?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got/heard of Tilley hats?’ is closed to new replies.