Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • Anyone got their heating on yet?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Pretty parky here, but it’s not even October yet.

Anyone switched theirs on yet?

ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s cold enough…

but no, not till November*.

(*that’s what i say so that my OH thinks she’s ‘won’ when we turn it on in October)

cheese@4p

Yes, and Im a Yorkshireman

trail_rat
    Free Member

we have ours on , but purely because it was only put in last weekend and we want to get it working and make sure no bugs in the system.

dont really need it though.

we have discovered that the new system warms the house up much quicker so the boilers on for lots less

and with all the insulating ive done over summer the house retains heat much better than in the late winter/ spring

iainc

never been off in sunny Glasgow !

D0NK

yep, ATM house seems to alternate between sauna and fridge freezer, my thermostat is rubbish.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Haven’t shut our bedroom windows yet!

Drac

Not for 2 years now.

jam-bo

3.5 degs in devon this morning.

will start having it on soon to keep the temperature nice for junior jam bo.

stumpy01

Not yet put it on, but I am not sure it will stay off until September!

Temperature really seems to have dipped.

cudubh

Ours stays on 365 days of the year on timer with the thermostat on so if it gets cold it kicks on in the morning or evening. The disussion with the mrs is usually over the level the thermostat should be set at. She feels the cold much more than me. I can be sitting in shorts and T shirt while she has jumpers and fleeces on and still complains she is cold. To be fair we did have to get her a jumper the other week when we were in Spain because she felt cold, it was only 28 degrees.

Kryton57

Ours stays on 365 days of the year on timer with the thermostat on so if it gets cold it kicks on in the morning or evening. The disussion with the mrs is usually over the level the thermostat should be set at. She feels the cold much more than me. I can be sitting in shorts and T shirt while she has jumpers and fleeces on and still complains she is cold

Samer here.

For the first time in my life, I have proper central heating that works with the thermostat, properly. Is currently on and (bearing in mind Mrs K is home permantly for a year) set to –

18 from 22.00 – 05.30
    22 5.30 – 7.30
    20 7.30 to 16.30
    22 16.30 22.00

Its a warm house and hasn’t dropped below 20 since May when we moved in.

We have Rad thermostats as well but so far the house seems comfortably warm all the time. Only been here 4 months though, so we’ve not been through a winter period.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Eye, been on all year, it’s part of the central heating/water system thingy and heats my hot water,mthen if it’s below 18c it comes on, been on quite a bit this year.

Don’t do cold me.

unklehomered
    Free Member

No, but on very cold mornings I have pushed the ‘1 hr boost’ button twice now, just to take the edge off. Its becoming a close thing, flat roof being done with insulated roof lights in the next month, will fopefully make a big difference.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Nope, not yet and hoping it will stay that way until at least October

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Went on for a bit this morning. Had a slight overnight frost here on the Northern slopes of Dartmoor.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes, and Im a Yorkshireman

Obviously not a proper one then. A proper Yorkshireman wouldn’t have central heating in his rolled up newspaper in a septic tank.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Haven’t shut our bedroom windows yet!

Ours is NEVER shut at night, whatever the temperature outside.

lunge

No, no, no. The OH would like it on but I have bought her a blanket instead.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Yes – a little. A draughty house and have become a soft southern softy. Oh, the shame of it…

trail_rat
    Free Member

must say thats the approach i think ill take. TRVs on all radiators and the master thermostat

its currently set up as 04.30 – 05:45 – 20degree
    5:45-16:00 – 14 degrees
    16:00-22:00 – 16 degrees (we use stove at night to heat house so heating rarely kicks in )
    22:00-4:30 – 14 degrees – again stove keeps pumping out heat after bed

house is twin skin cavity filed and concrete pad floor so letting it cool down fully during the day is probably a false economy i think. – alot of thermal mass to heat up again.

geoffj

Lit the stove last night and put the rads on to give the place a bit of a blast. They knocked off at 22 degrees. Ground frost this morning!

rocketman
    Free Member

Not yet it’s still September

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Our has been on once, day after we got back from Nice! Have been tempted the last few nights though, its chilly.

footflaps

Not yet. Will probably have coal fires in the living room throughout October and then switch the CH on in November sometime.

kcal

fired up the CH for first time since summer, yesterday afternoon.

stove has been on a handful of times in last couple weeks.

So, yes!

grahamg
    Free Member

Not until we get the urge to wear woolly hats inside.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Started wearing jumpers in the morning the last week or so, heating probably won’t go on for a month or so at least though. (Or so I’d like to think- MrsSalmon might think differently.)

racefaceec90

will there ever be a time when british gas don’t raise the prices by 10% just before it starts to get cold.i flipping hate winter (and british gas 😡 (was over £40 per fortnight/and always had thermostat on lowest setting).bastids 👿

Hohum
    Free Member

Yes, mine has been on a lot this summer at times as well.

Drac – Moderator
    Not for 2 years now.

Even during the great freeze of Dec 2010? You must be made of tough stuff.

bigblackshed

Try to leave it off until the clocks go back in October. Although we rarely make it that far. We are having the wood burner stove installed next week, so a warm house is going to be inevitable from then on!

neil853
    Free Member

No where near cold enough where I am

spawnofyorkshire

cheese@4p

Yes, and I’m a Yorkshireman

If you were a true yorkshireman you wouldn’t have turned it on yet and would be mentally totaling how much cash you’ve saved by doing so

I lasted until December last year before turning it on, and that was only because i had someone over to visit

soobalias
    Free Member

our thermostat is in the hall, where there is a radiator that is never on.

mrssoobalias thinks that its great to keep the thermostat at 15deg all winter to save money

even tho the boiler is on full whack, full time!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“(was over £40 per fortnight/and always had thermostat on lowest setting).”

how is that possible ? are you paying someone elses gas bill ?

spawnofyorkshire

@soobalias

it is often cheaper to move the thermostat than continue to pay for running your boiler too much.
    Get it shifted

Pook

for 1 hour the other day to help my yeast get going in my micro brewery. a justified reason I feel.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why dont you turn on the radiator in the hall then instead of havinrt big internal black hole of heat loss ?

Heating only the rooms you use is asking for damp problems.

glenh
    Free Member

Of course the heating is on. The average temp has been about 10C recently. I like my house slightly warmer than that.

soobalias
    Free Member

cant have the radiator on in the hall because the front door is draughty – so all the heat would escape.

dont argue with the logic, i have tried and failed. It was a massive win to get curtains across the patio doors, every other window has blinds and floors vary between bare floorboards, tiles or super toasty laminate.

i exercise and drink heavily in the winter.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got their heating on yet?’ is closed to new replies.