Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone got the train & bus from Geneva to Swiss Alps?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Arriving on Saturday and have been advised to get train from Geneva to Aigle and then two buses to Morgins.

Has anyone done a similar journey before and did you just turn up and buy a ticket? Was it easy to find the buses you needed etc?

Looking forward to sampling the legendary Swiss efficiency in public transport form, but difficult to find info online.

Cheers.

scruff
    Free Member

We got the train back from Martigny to Geneve, ho hassle arrived ezackley on time right in the station.

GW
    Free Member

got the bus from Geneva to Morzine once. you can chairlift/ride to Morgins from there.
    just turned up at the bus station in Geneva(if you can call it that)

mrmo
    Free Member

done Geneva to Verbier alot of times. 8?

there is a train station in the airport, it is down in the basement. All trains go to Geneva.

The route i have done involves picking the train that goes through to Martingy and beyond, saves changing trains at Lausanne, not hard to do, just a pain carting a bike around any more than necessary. I then changed at Martingy on to the local train that goes to Le Chable, then catch a bus from Le Chable to Verbier.

The bike is in a bag. The buses from my experience are what would in the UK be refered to as coaches and as such have a luggage hold where you can dump the bike bag.

The ticket is a through ticket and covers the train and the bus. never tried but they do have a picture of a boat and i have wondered if i could get the paddle steamer from Geneva through to Montreux the tickets look the same.

The ticket office is next to left luggage above the train platforms on the same level as the airport arrivals, there are automatic dispensers but the staff speak english, or at least answer in english when i use my crap french.

Be aware that the return tickets are valid for 10 days? although i have claimed ignorance and got away with a fortnight before. i think that the return ticket price equals two single tickets anyway.

There are aload of passes but never figured out whether they would save any money.

sbb.chtrains

darrell
    Free Member

having lived in Switzerland for 5 years i can honestly say it’ll be easy. just turn up and buy a ticket and everything will be running on time.

Drac

Yup done the Verbier trip to many a time arrives on time, leaves on time and very clean and comfy.

mrmo
    Free Member

And just to prove that things can go wrong. I have turned up at the airport got on the train, big double decker comfy seats etc, and after 10 minutes the tannoy said get off train is broken!

Or a few years ago there was some flooding the train track washed away, couple of days later line was back open and you wouldn’t have known there was a problem.

llama

Took the bus from la chable to verbier after the lifts had shut. It arrived dead on time with bike rack on the back so we got the bikes on no problem. But then the driver would not let us on because we were muddy! Imagine that in the UK! Had to strip down to base layers and socks in the station car park.

RHSno2
    Free Member

The postal bus service is very well integrated with the trains. I presume you’ll have you bike bag. Plenty of room under the buses to put your bike bag. They are normally very helpful.

chakaping
    Free Member

Great stuff, thanks everyone. Feel much more confident about it now.

We’ll just have our bags, bikes are going in a van separately – but we do plan to ride from Morgins to our apartment in Morzine on Monday while the luggage goes in the van.

What a hardship, eh?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got the train & bus from Geneva to Swiss Alps?’ is closed to new replies.