Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Anyone got rid of their telly?
  • bearnecessities

I’m not normally a fan of going all out on something, I prefer moderation – booze, coke, hookers, chips etc.

..but I’m just thinking, I really could lose the telly.

Just wondered if anyone has done it, and what kinds of disbelieving accusations they received from TV licensing agency…sorry, Crapita.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yup.When I want to watch something I just use the laptop instead.

sbob
    Free Member

Sold mine a couple of years ago to fund a night out on the razz.
    Anything decent can be viewed on the PC. 🙂

Just bin it, the vast, vast majority of TV progs are just **** awful. It’s embarrassing to see what shit so many people watch and if there is a TV on, people will watch it.
    I walked into a pub once and the patrons where watching **** Coronation Street on a massive projector screen.

aye-aye
    Free Member

I gave up watching TV about 3 years ago.
    Don’t miss it all and spend the TV license money on bike bits instead.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

yup,
    you’ll get serious amounts of crap from them. It gets quite annoying really. They’ll explain in minute detail what the options are for you to rectify your unlicensed situation…. but non of the options they suggest actually takes into account that you might not have a telly.

wwaswas

switching to watching it on a slightly smaller screen attached to a computer isn;t really ‘getting rid of the TV’ it’s just ‘changing the device I watch it on’ surely?

aye-aye
    Free Member

I didn’t get any hassle from TV Licensing. It was all quite simple.
    2 addresses with no problems.

nealglover
    Free Member

In my experience I never have to wonder if someone doesn’t have a TV.

They’ve normally told me about it before its even crossed my mind to ask 😀

Drac

Well Neal stole my joke, those on here who don’t have one feel the need to mention pretty often. And I agree with wwaswas watching on a laptop is still watching TV.

SaxonRider

Haven’t had one for about five years, and now when I see one on in the background, can’t believe how inane people look with their mouths flapping and their fake smiles.

That said, I still look for good drama, but can get this via netflix (or wherever).

bearnecessities

switching to watching it on a slightly smaller screen attached to a computer isn;t really ‘getting rid of the TV’ it’s just ‘changing the device I watch it on’ surely?

Um, yes it is getting rid of the tv. TBH I’d also get rid of the landline & laptop if it wasn’t for the fact I need Voda suresignal to get ‘net on mobile 🙂

SaxonRider

Drac – Moderator
    Well Neal stole my joke, those on here who don’t have feel the need to mention pretty often. And I agree with wwaswas watching on a laptop is still watching TV.

I disagree. When you only watch via computer, you have far more control over the content. Unless you have superhuman discipline, and only go straight to the shows you want on TV, and turn away during commercials, the experience is quite different.

Drac

I control what I want by not watching what I don’t want to watch.

Commercials come with some channels yes but not something that bothers me.

bearnecessities

In my experience I never have to wonder if someone doesn’t have a TV.

They’ve normally told me about it before its even crossed my mind to ask

That’s quite funny, I don’t want to be some ‘anti’ type (hence my OP about not believing in ‘all or nothing’ approach) but I don’t watch TV, if I do I’m disappointed generally.

nealglover
    Free Member

I disagree. When you only watch via computer, you have far more control over the content. Unless you have superhuman discipline, and only go straight to the shows you want on TV, and turn away during commercials, the experience is quite different.

That must be me then.

I never watch live TV, ever.

Only ever watch stuff downloaded via Sky Anytime+ or recorded stuff off the Sky+ planner.

Sky Anytime+ stuff doesn’t have adverts so thats my preference, but when watching off the planner I Always fast forward through the adverts.

GregMay
    Free Member

Don’t have a TV, don’t watch telly on laptop. We read and talk, sorta works out well 🙂

RichPenny
    Free Member

Incredibly, on a thread entitled “Anyone got rid of their telly?” People are talking about not having a telly.

Much less surprising than me mentioning it to the barmaid last night whilst ordering a pint.

andyl
    Free Member

Don’t get me started on TV licensing…

Since when has an organisation been allowed to accuse you of breaking the law without any proof?

When did it no longer become voluntary to own a TV and everyone MUST have one?

How can an organisation with no grounds to claim you are breaking the law obtain a warrant to search your house?

They can all go jump off a cliff for all I care.

samuri
    Free Member

I like watching films on a really big screen actually. Watching films on a laptop or tablet while convenient, feels a bit dirty.

if it wasn’t for that I’d ditch the telly. Of course, the wife would panic about that one.

Stoner
    Free Member

As above, we dont have a “TV”, we have a PC recording stuff it’s been told to and then beamed down to a large monitor in a place we want to watch stuff.

We skip adverts, and dont surf the channels and sit in front of something just because it’s on. If there’s nothing in the recorded tv folder, we dont bother watching anything.

We still have a tv licence more as a moral choice since we listen to BBC radio all the time and now and then we might watch live sport, but the rest of the time we are watching time-slipped tv (no need for a licence)

7 years ago BC (before children) we had no tv and no tv tuner in the PC. That was for about two years and didnt really miss it too much, but there’s no need to be self-flagellating about it when it makes more sense to use a combination of technology and self control to get your time back.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I didn’t get any hassle from TV Licensing. It was all quite simple.
    2 addresses with no problems.

What did you do?

funkmasterp

I like watching films on a really big screen actually. Watching films on a laptop or tablet while convenient, feels a bit dirty.

Similar to this. Own a big TV, but only watch films on it. Haven’t watched TV in a long time, but I will pick up a good series, Spiral, The Wire, Breaking Bad etc and watch that.

aye-aye
    Free Member

[/quote]What did you do?

I phoned them and said I don’t watch television, ever.
    They said ok, we’ll contact you in 2 years to see if you want one then, otherwise get in touch if you do decide to watch tv.

I really don’t ever want to watch it and have no aerial, sky box, cable etc.

As long as you never watch live broadcasts on any device* you don’t need to pay for a TV license.

(internet only live broadcasts, freecaster, redbull etc are fine)

prettygreenparrot

get rid of the telly? No way! It is a valuable device for video games, watching films, looking at photographs, occupying children, watching pointless yet entertaining fictions and occasionally watching fascinating programs about gardening, politics and other serious subjects. Admittedly, most of the dozens of channels are filled with drivel but that’s where all this modern technology helps.

prettygreenparrot

I like Stoner’s claim. I’d be happy to pay the modest amount (compared to cable) that the BBC license costs just for Radio 4. If you factor in Radio 6 then I’d consider a pay per listen amount too 😈

nealglover
    Free Member

How can an organisation with no grounds to claim you are breaking the law obtain a warrant to search your house?

They can’t gain a warrant if they have “no grounds”

They have to convince a magistrate that there are “reasonable grounds for believing”

They may be incorrect, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have reasonable grounds.

(1)If a justice of the peace, a sheriff in Scotland or a lay magistrate in Northern Ireland is satisfied by information on oath that there are reasonable grounds for believing—

(a)that an offence under section 363 has been or is being committed,

(b)that evidence of the commission of the offence is likely to be on premises specified in the information, or in a vehicle so specified, and

(c)that one or more of the conditions set out in subsection (3) is satisfied,

he may grant a warrant under this section.

Candodavid
    Free Member

We have a television…I don’t watch it often, less than 1 hour a week.
    Spend too much time working or riding

aye-aye
    Free Member

The bit I like is on the TV licensing letter it says in bold letters:
    WHATEVER YOU’RE WATCHING, HOWEVER YOU’RE WATCHING IT, YOU NEED A TV LICENSE.
    This is a lie

funkmasterp

The bit I like is on the TV licensing letter it says in bold letters:
    WHATEVER YOU’RE WATCHING, HOWEVER YOU’RE WATCHING IT, YOU NEED A TV LICENSE.
    This is a lie

I hide in the bushes at the end of my neighbours garden and watch their 100″ plasma. Two crimes (or possibly more) in one FTW

chiefgrooveguru

That’s not called ‘superhuman discipline, that’s called having Sky+/BTvision/Virginwhatnot/etc and not wanting to waste your life watching crap TV or adverts. Record and watch what you want, fast forward through ads. Welcome to 2010!

funkmasterp

Welcome to 2010!

I don’t quite know how to break this to you, but you appear to be living in the past. I’ll have a chat with Ziggy, see i f he can get you to leap 🙂

aye-aye
    Free Member

I hide in the bushes at the end of my neighbours garden and watch their 100″ plasma. Two crimes (or possibly more) in one FTW

I guarantee there’s a licence available for doing that legally, or maybe just show them your bobbies helmet if questioned.

rene59
    Free Member

Keep the telly, cancel the paid subscription to watch the dross that is broadcast. Cancel tv licence, watch movies, netflix, iplayer, 4od etc on big screen rather than laptop.

Also what would you plug the xbox/playstation into if you got rid of telly?

Drac

While the BBC does shows like Keeping Britain Alive I’m happy to be the few pounds a month it costs me for such a great programmes.

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

don’t have a telly, we didn’t bother ‘upgrading’ from analogue. got to be one of the best things we’ve done. still watch stuff on iplayer now and again though. The main benefits are not being blasted with adverts, not being tempted to flick through 10’s of really crap channels, and not just turning on the telly for the sake of it. helps that the laptop is crap and takes about 10 minutes to boot up.
    all a bit smug I know. I do find though that if I’m away with work I end up watching absolute crap for 3 hours, then really regretting it, and so making me glad we ditched the telly…

cinnamon_girl

Self control is all you need!

I don’t watch much but have thoroughly enjoyed the various Scandi dramas, BBC4 has some good music programmes as well as history programmes and documentaries.

epicyclo

No TV?

Without the arse magnet how will your kids get that fashionably flabby look?

andyl
    Free Member

They can’t gain a warrant if they have “no grounds”

They have to convince a magistrate that there are “reasonable grounds for believing”

They may be incorrect, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have reasonable grounds.

I really don’t see how they have any ‘reasonable grounds’.

I fail to see why people ‘must’ have a TV.

Do you get threatening letters accusing you of driving a car without insurance even if you don’t have a car?

Do you get threats of search warrants from the police accusing you of selling drugs?

Just because it’s a social norm to own a TV it doesnt give them the right to chase people like they do. Maybe if they stopped sending out so many letters then they could lower the TV license fee.

grum
    Free Member

We don’t have regular tv, we just watch Netflix, iplayer and downloads through AppleTV. Don’t miss it at all TBH and never seeing adverts is quite a bonus. It means you have to make a conscious decision to watch something rather than just vegetating.

No TV license and no hassle so far.

nealglover
    Free Member

I really don’t see how they have any ‘reasonable grounds’.

Then complain.

The law says they must have otherwise they don’t get a warrant.

(You could just invite them to come round to have a look when you get the first letter of course. Then they won’t need a warrant and you don’t have to worry if they are doing it right. It’s always nice to meet new people)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got rid of their telly?’ is closed to new replies.