Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone got quiet Sram Guide brakes?
  • AlexSimon

In the soaked conditions we have now?
    Sintered pads (original SRAM).

I thought my original Hope Minis were bad, but it’s got to the point where I’m actually reluctant to brake because of it!

Is there anything I can do?

Liftman

Which rotors do you have, the original ones were a lot noisier than the later centerline versions.

Poopscoop

Yes, centerline rotors, Uberbike sintered pads.

DickBarton

First 2 pulls after being soaked then quiet after that. No braking surely means faster and more skill?

julzm
    Free Member

Same, noisy at first but quieter after they heat up a bit.

joelowden

Mine are just noisy all the time !!

Poopscoop

Try realigning calipers, try some different pads?

mattbee

Nice and quiet. Uberbike sintered pads, Shimano rotors.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Yep. A pair of Guide Rs and a pair of RSCs, both currently running sintered Superstar pads (previous history with these pads are normally noisy).

AlexSimon

hmmm – good that some of you have achieved quietness. Mine used to just be on the first couple of pulls, but is now on anywhere wet.

I have some Uber sintereds to try next. Maybe I’ll change early.
    2015 Centreline rotors btw.

I’ve tried realigning the callipers, but only using the ‘loosen-clampbrakes-tighten’ method.

wrecker
    Free Member

Cleaned your rotors? Do this before changing pads.

Liftman

Make sure you bed the pads in properly, as i found the brakes noisy until this was done.

gummikuh

Same, bed the pads in.
    Having said that, RSC’s with centerline rotors, they still squeal in the current weather conditions.
    But they are a lot better than the old juicy’s.
    Small price to pay for such good brakes.
    Not even sure you can get organic pads for them?

danrandon
    Free Member

The pads are the same as the Avid Trails and I tend to prefer the Superstar Kevlar pads, quiet and plenty of stopping power.

mboy
    Free Member

Centreline rotors and OEM pads here… Noisy in the wet (what brake isn’t), but nowhere near as noisy as some I’ve ridden, but only for a moment until the water has cleared. Nice and quiet otherwise, and overall, been very impressed with the brakes, especially the modulation compared to the Shimano XT they replaced.

AlexSimon

ta – I’m going to swap the pads, clean the rotos, bed the pads in (which I do anyway), and then check alignment. Hopefully all combined will bring me silence.
    Never had a peep out of my previous Mono Minis.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got quiet Sram Guide brakes?’ is closed to new replies.