• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone got any experience of Easton Haven wheels?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I’d been pretty much set on Hope Pro 2s on Mavic 819s but then saw the 2012 Havens for a slightly lower price.

They’re almost a pound lighter, but how tough are they and how good are the hubs? I’ve ridden on Hope for the last 4 years and know that they work, while the Eastons are an unknown quantity. I am aware that the graphics are gopping.

Riding will be varied from mincecore to big mountains in the Lakes on a 150mm bike.

Thanks.

chemister

Had these for two years, very strong still running perfectly true. Great for running tubeless, only weakness would be in the hubs healing against British weather.

br
    Free Member

I’d have thought the reason they are lighter is due to the weight of the 819’s and their associated ‘nipples’.

Are the Eastons ‘actually’ lighter than a Hope/Crest (or Flow) combination? To give you a comparison, my Hope Pro 2 evo SP Crest wheels came in at 1572g.

And based on others experiences of Easton hubs and the British ‘winter’, I’d be wary.

munrobiker
    Free Member

They’re still about half a pound lighter than the Pro 2/Flow combination.

Is the hubs in winter issue bearing related?

slimsi
    Free Member

I am running the 2012 Haven’s tubeless no issue, very strong and so far no hub issues but there is an update free from Easton for the 2012’s to fix some issues people experienced.

br
    Free Member

They’re still about half a pound lighter than the Pro 2/Flow combination.

But isn’t because their internal width is the same as a Crest?

Also, when I looked at the carbon ones you had to commit to an exact spec as you couldn’t retro-fit different axles (front or rear) later – not sure if still the case.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Hmm, that’s interesting. It’s rim strength that I’m concerned about.

I’ll be honest, I’ve run Flows for a long time now and the non-UST nature of them has turned into a faff. I’d rather have a proper UST rim with no rim strips and the 819 and Havens offer that- in the case of the Havens, without a weight penalty.

edit- just checked, they’re wider than a Crest.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Search here and mtbr for abundant hub problems. Look into slimsi’s free ‘update’, I was sufficiently put off to turn down mates rates (cost+vat) and pass on the half price old stock CRC and Merlin were doing. Newer hubs may be sorted but having seen their road hub bearings collapse on an 8 stone girls ‘Sunday best’ bike and read all the horror stories of bust Havens bearings I’d want to know they were sorted and had back-up (heard a rumour Extra are dropping Easton?).

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Ive got two sets…

after 18mths I had to replace the bearings in one, so did both at the same time with the free bearing upgrade kit…

I have managed to ding one of the rear rims a couple of times, but they still seal up fine after careful bending back out.
    I also broke a spoke, that proved a real pain to source a replacemt for, so now have a dozen spares with nipples. I seem to be quite hard on kit.

I have yet to give them any real hammer, since then, but off on an uplift day this weekend, and then a week in the alps so will see.

overall I have been pretty happy with them, and much lighter than those that they replaced

vinnyeh

Is there anyone selling these off other than crc- I’m after a pair, but need 20mm on the front, and they seem out of stock.

br
    Free Member

edit- just checked, they’re wider than a Crest.

Ok, though they were both 21mm internals?

I’m after a pair, but need 20mm on the front, and they seem out of stock.

This was the other thing that put me off, what happens when your next forks are 15mm?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got any experience of Easton Haven wheels?’ is closed to new replies.