Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone got a Zeppelin air-play thingy, or sim'lar?
  • DrJ

I am looking to get a speaker gadget thingy to use with my iPod in my flat. I am too lazy to get off my bum to change the tracks so I want to use air play to stream from the iPod in my pocket. I would also like to be able to easily move it from room to room.

The candidates are so far:
    B&W Zeppelin

and
    B&O Beolit 12

The Zeppelin seems to have better sound, but is not very portable, and there are reports of problems with streaming.

The B&O is very beautiful and also portable but maybe the sound is not as good.

Any comments, or other ideas?

p7rich
    Free Member

Have a look at a pair of Audioengine active speakers paired with an Apple Airport Express. Just plug the speakers into the Airport and control via iPhone/iPod Touch/etc. I have the Audioengine A2s (bigger sizes are available) and (i know this sounds like a cliché but) they really do sound like hi-fi. A lot cheaper than the Zeppelin/s. I’ve borrowed a Zeppelin and it was OK, just OK.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Phillips do an Airplay thingy called the Fidellio Soundring. Anything called Soundring must be worth checking out. IIRC there is a portable version as well as a mains only.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Arcam do one as well called the rCube, think that’s getting better reviews than the Zep.

Portable too – you use it as a dock, or plug the rWand dongle into your iProduct. Not Airplay mind, but means you can buy a USB dongle too and play music from PC. And it’ll handle multiroom if wallets are deeper in the future.

bluebird
    Free Member

I’m look at Arcam’s rCube – info here

There seems to be deals at the moment for a wireless iPod adapter too – info here

I just need to get my head around that sort of cash for a set of iPod speakers 🙂

IA

Depends how portable, at the “very” end, I have a jambox. Eye wateringly expensive mind, but ace.

rondo101
    Free Member

We bought a Zeppelin a couple of years ago. The guy in the audio shop was full of praise for the Zep & rCube, but recommended that we wait for stock of the rCube (long story, but it wasn’t possible). It’s the none-airplay B&W, so can’t comment on streaming ability, but sound quality is pretty darn good.

However, if you’re after something really portable there’s a chap in Bristol who’s building these: http://www.minirig.co.uk

£90 each, can be daisy-chained for stereo & he’s working on a sub. Small but very, very loud with excellent sound quality (built-in volume limiter to stop clipping). 50hrs playback on a single charge. The creator has a background of building speaker stacks for the bristol sound systems so he knows his stuff. I’ll be getting one to play music through my laptop at home & trips away.

robertgray05
    Free Member

I have an airport express (£80ish?) with a wee Bose wave unit (£200 off ebay). Sounds brilliant, and I use it with mac, ipad and iphone.

I’d recommend the airport express plus speakers of your choice just for the flexibility.

rondo101
    Free Member

Gah, got the url wrong. It’s http://minirigs.co.uk/ for anyone interested.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

That minirigs looks like an expensive Altec Lansing Orbit speaker.

Though I’m sure it’s better quality/louder though 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Zeppelin air-play thingy, or sim'lar?’ is closed to new replies.