Anyone got a Zeppelin air-play thingy, or sim'lar?

Home Forum Chat Forum Anyone got a Zeppelin air-play thingy, or sim'lar?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone got a Zeppelin air-play thingy, or sim'lar?
  • Premier Icon p7rich
    Subscriber

Have a look at a pair of Audioengine active speakers paired with an Apple Airport Express. Just plug the speakers into the Airport and control via iPhone/iPod Touch/etc. I have the Audioengine A2s (bigger sizes are available) and (i know this sounds like a cliché but) they really do sound like hi-fi. A lot cheaper than the Zeppelin/s. I’ve borrowed a Zeppelin and it was OK, just OK.

breatheeasy

Phillips do an Airplay thingy called the Fidellio Soundring. Anything called Soundring must be worth checking out. IIRC there is a portable version as well as a mains only.

breatheeasy

Arcam do one as well called the rCube, think that’s getting better reviews than the Zep.

Portable too – you use it as a dock, or plug the rWand dongle into your iProduct. Not Airplay mind, but means you can buy a USB dongle too and play music from PC. And it’ll handle multiroom if wallets are deeper in the future.

bluebird

I’m look at Arcam’s rCube – info here

There seems to be deals at the moment for a wireless iPod adapter too – info here

I just need to get my head around that sort of cash for a set of iPod speakers 🙂

IA

Depends how portable, at the “very” end, I have a jambox. Eye wateringly expensive mind, but ace.

rondo101

We bought a Zeppelin a couple of years ago. The guy in the audio shop was full of praise for the Zep & rCube, but recommended that we wait for stock of the rCube (long story, but it wasn’t possible). It’s the none-airplay B&W, so can’t comment on streaming ability, but sound quality is pretty darn good.

However, if you’re after something really portable there’s a chap in Bristol who’s building these: http://www.minirig.co.uk

£90 each, can be daisy-chained for stereo & he’s working on a sub. Small but very, very loud with excellent sound quality (built-in volume limiter to stop clipping). 50hrs playback on a single charge. The creator has a background of building speaker stacks for the bristol sound systems so he knows his stuff. I’ll be getting one to play music through my laptop at home & trips away.

DrJ

I am looking to get a speaker gadget thingy to use with my iPod in my flat. I am too lazy to get off my bum to change the tracks so I want to use air play to stream from the iPod in my pocket. I would also like to be able to easily move it from room to room.

The candidates are so far:
    B&W Zeppelin

and
    B&O Beolit 12

The Zeppelin seems to have better sound, but is not very portable, and there are reports of problems with streaming.

The B&O is very beautiful and also portable but maybe the sound is not as good.

Any comments, or other ideas?

robertgray05

I have an airport express (£80ish?) with a wee Bose wave unit (£200 off ebay). Sounds brilliant, and I use it with mac, ipad and iphone.

I’d recommend the airport express plus speakers of your choice just for the flexibility.

rondo101

Gah, got the url wrong. It’s http://minirigs.co.uk/ for anyone interested.

breatheeasy

That minirigs looks like an expensive Altec Lansing Orbit speaker.

Though I’m sure it’s better quality/louder though 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Zeppelin air-play thingy, or sim'lar?’ is closed to new replies.