• This topic has 24 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Anyone got a spiralizer?
  • blader1611
    Free Member

I fancy making some veggetti to replace pasta, are there any good cheap ones? Was looking at the OXO good grip one but not sure if it will be any good for harder vegetables

pnik

Just bought the basic 10 quid one for my mum, its a bit sh!t to be honest, would hope the more fancy one with removable blades is better. The one i got is like a massive pencil sharpener, so you get left with a pencil shaped vegetable stump. Seems a bit wasteful.

kayak23

Yeah boi!
    I got the Salter one from Argos for about £12.

It’s dope.
    You do get the core thing left over but then I just snap it into the mix anyway. It sort of needs that bit to keep the vegetable on the centre, a spike would probably just split it.

I’ve really only used mine with courgettes so far, for which it’s great.
    Really good for lunch salads, just adding pesto etc like you would with actual pasta.
    Chop the strands up a bit else they’re about 6 foot long.

I got a hand one at first which is ok for the travelling spilralist, but not that easy to use and for £12, the bigger one just works so much better.
    Comes with three different cutters too for different strands.

konagirl
    Free Member

Look for a julienne peeler if you want cheap.

bearnecessities

Why was I not aware of these!

blader1611
    Free Member

Might try that one from Argos,cheers. Its seems hand held ones might struggle with anything other than courgettes.
    I tried a julienne peeler and its rubbish but to be honest it was a cheap bit of tat from fleabay so hardly surprising.
    Fancy noodling things like butternut squash and sweet potato so it might need to be strong and robust but could do with having a small footprint due to limited storage space.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I love it. I saw someone making broccoli spaghetti out of the stalk that you usually throw away.

Have only used the spaghetti cutter on mine so far, not even tried the other blades. Search online, there are loads of recipes out there for the spiralizer.

blader1611
    Free Member

Mrwhyte which spiralizer do you use?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/272238725571?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=9045701&poi=&campaignid=207297426&device=c&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=pla-142405548786&adtype=pla&crdt=0

This has three different blade sizes and is easy to use and tough enough to do root veg.

Spiralise courgette is nice and doesn’t taste of courgette which is a bonus.

Spiralise a carrot and you have a big bowl of carrot.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I purchased this one- https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GRIR87M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But says it isn’t not available anymore… may be able to google it?

BigJohn

We bought a couple of grooved peelers for about 30p each*. A salad of unripe mango, papaya, carrots and prawns is a thing of beauty.

*The cost of a flight to Hanoi bumps the price up a bit.

kayak23

Mrwhyte. That’s exactly the same as the Salter one from Argos. All made in the same factory I imagine.
    That vertical one above looks cool.
    I like the horizontal ones as it puts me in mind of a bit of woodturning.
    Might have a go at making a courgette bowl…

z1ppy

+1 to the salter as the same as the amazon one.
    Courgetti for the win!
    Managed to do sweet potatoes with our, bit of a faff but it is possible

theotherjonv

Must get one of these, have had prepacked supermarket courgette and maybe butternut squash spirals a couple of times.

In the same vein of veggies to replace standard carbs; a cauliflower cut into pieces and then whizzed in a blender / food processor to grains (choose size depending on preference) replaces rice / couscous and carriews a surprising number of sauces well.

Or blitz it, wrap in a muslin cloth and squeeze to get as much wet out as you can, mix it with an egg and some parmesan cheese and pat / roll into a pizza base. Part cook, add the toppings and there’s a bread free version. Takes a bit of effort but worth it.

blader1611
    Free Member

Theotherjonv the problem i have with cauliflower is it tastes of cauliflower, hateful stuff. I dont really like courgette but somebody mentioned it doesnt really taste of courgette once it has been spiralled and cooked.

I will give the Salter one a whirl (pun intended) if i can pick one up from my local Argos.

Any good recipe websites for noodling veg?

Cougar

Bloody muslins, coming over here and squeezing our veg.

jimdubleyou

PSA: £10 for prime members before they all go

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BQEGJ5I/

13thfloormonk

Interested in the cauliflower cous-cous alternative, will try that.

Spiralized two courgettes yesterday with some home made pesto, + 1 for chopping strands up a bit!

I wanted to heat it so put in frying pan for a couple of minutes, cue frying pan full of watery pesto! How do you prevent all the water coming out of the courgette, just fry it quicker at a higher heat?

scotroutes

The cauliflower pizza Base us even better if you mix in ground almond (and you can’t taste cauliflower).

I usually stir fry my cauliflower cous-cous with a little chilli oil. I’ve given it to folk who “don’t like cauliflower” and they’ve loved it.

blader1611
    Free Member

Sadly i am not an amazon prime member but that is a cracking deal, may have to ask around to see if anyone is.

I will try the cauliflower cous cous but if it tastes of cauliflower then i may have to start a thread calling you all liars 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Iain, heat courgette and drain before adding pesto. Higher heat would help.

thomthumb
    Free Member

cauli rice

make sure you cook it long enough, a minute or two extra in the oven makes a big difference. it wants to be browning at the edges imo.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Made last night sweet potato spirals, same attachment as the courgetti one. Olive oil, salt and pepper then 10 mins in the oven. They were mega tasty!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Love ours apart from they are fiddly to clean. Mind the blades!

benp1

Cauli rice is nice 😀 Haven’t done it in a while though

I use a julienne peeler to do courgetti, again, haven’t done it in a while. I already have one which means I need fewer kitchen gadgets, they come out a better size too!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a spiralizer?’ is closed to new replies.