Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Anyone got a KTM? (mountain bike)
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

I went to see some today and liked the look of them (it was a KTM Race Line) as a fairly lightweight racy hardtail.

Not sure if they even sell them in the UK but does anyone have one or have opinions on them?

KTM Race Line

enfht
    Free Member

I saw them at Earls Court, very impressive

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

They’re new to the UK this year, not sure who’s selling them though. I’ve seen one of their road bikes and it looked pretty nice.

yoda
    Free Member

Triple D motorsportGive these guys a bell.
    Ask for wingnut!
    They are thinking of importing them as they are the main KTM dealers for uk.
    The more interest in them the more likely they are to get a few in.

eckinspain
    Free Member

I live in Madrid, so buying one isn’t a problem – I was more wondering if anyone had experience of them

flamejob
    Free Member

We hooked up with some Austrians at the Mega a few years ago, one of whom was riding a KTM DH bike. He absolutely loved it.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Well we have a big KTM dealer near me so i had a look on there website and sure enough they also retail the Bike range too.
    Gear 4

Might have to go up and take a look.

thepodge
    Free Member

are these KTM designed or just some one else’s re-badged?

its would be interesting to see how a motorbike manufacturer goes about designing mountain bikes if they did it from scratch.

Gary_M
    Free Member

One of their road bikes was reviewed in this months c+, did pretty well.

stumpy01

Brother_Will I live just round the corner from the KTM place in Market Deeping! Could always wander round at some point and have a gander.

Jamie
    Free Member

Wow….I live in P’boro and never even knew of Gear4Bikes. Might have to pop over and have a lookie at some KTM bikes.

stumpy01

Yep Jamie, just in Northfields Ind Estate on the edge of Market Deeping. Probably worth paying Terry Wrights a visit too, while your in the area. They have a nice mix of kit in there, and some Spesh test bikes too. I did debate taking one for a weekend, but can’t afford a new bike at mo, so not much point.

eckinspain
    Free Member

The guy in the shop here seemed to imply they were at least designed by the motorbike guys – they apparently have high bottom brackets which comes from their MotoX background (?)

IdleJon

Was looking at some in Wheelies in Swansea over the weekend. They seem ok. (I wasn’t stunned into thinking that I must buy one.)

I thought I read a review that said that the mtb side is completely separate from the MotoX side, but I may be wrong.

skiprat
    Free Member

Used to work at a motorbike shop in Sheffield about 17 years ago and they were a KTM stockist then. Did all the enduro and cross bikes and we did the mountain and road bikes then. Have to say that at that time, they looked great vaue for money, well thought out and had some good kit on them.

New ones look like they’ve gone the same way.

GW
    Free Member

saw one of these at innerleithen at the weekend

looks alright, nothing ground breaking tho.

donsimon
    Free Member

There’s a guy who competes in the Open de Madrid who rides one, I’ve seen him training in Casa de Campo on Friday lunchtimes/afternoons, it might be worth chasing him down/stalking him and having a word with him.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Cool, I’ll hang around and mug him!

(though hanging around Casa de Campo can get you into trouble!)

brakes
    Free Member

I know a lad who was given a couple of high-end models by a KTM dealer to race-test – very nicely specced
    I think they’re considering importing

KTMPOD
    Free Member

I run the UK agency for KTM Fahrrad. (the cycles side) and trade in the UK as Perfection Or Death, Cycle 08 at Earls Court was the launch of the brand in the UK. KTM started making “push” bikes in ’64, but sold this part and their radiator manufacturing off in the early 90’s. But all 3 lines of business are still based in Mattighofen, Austria. (That’s where the “M” in the name comes from)
    For 2009 UK and Norway are their new export markets, having spent the last 5 years or so opening up central and southern Europe. They only produce a finite amount of bikes per year as they are built in Austria, so rapid expansion is not an option.
    The bikes are 100% designed in house, nothing is bought “off the peg” and rebadged.
    Things are relatively low key this year due to budget restraints but we are slowly building up a good foundation of independent shops. I’ll be at all the national XC rounds this year with a small team, so come and say hello if interested.
    Eckinspain, I can put you in touch with the Spanish agent if you wish, just let me know if you need to contact him.
    Cheers, Matt Beighton – 07967 506416

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Sounds good Matt, how’s rob getting on with his? Havent seen him since he got them! (I’m Dave from TSW, who spannered for him last year)

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

They look really nice. I like the hardtail one. I would thing about getting one if I was in the market. I would like to know though if they are actually made in th KTM factory though. I think it could be the case of these being badged up Kinesis or some other Taiwan frame maker. If so then you might just be paying for an expensive KTM sticker, that has little kudos in the cycling world. If so then it would really only have any appeal to some KTM MX/enduro bike owner who has more money than sense and maybe just wants to stick it next to his EC 450 in the garage!

GW
    Free Member

Seth – what are you on about? they’re reletively cheap, and I’d rather a respected taiwan frame manufacturer made my bike frame than a MotoX company

KTMPOD
    Free Member

The bikes are designed in Austria. Most are welded in Far East, at one of the owner’s factories. The cycle side is owned by a Taiwanese lady who is big in the cycle industry, and she has 3-4 other companies doing OE work.
    The raw frames ship to Austria, they are prepared, painted and built in Austria just behind the design office. They also have a test facility there where they test prototypes to destruction for stress analysis.

Rob got 3rd in the BUSA students XC last weekend, and was 3rd in a Darley moor road crit the other week. He’s getting on well with the bikes and seems fit this year, so let’s see how Sherwood treats him…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a KTM? (mountain bike)’ is closed to new replies.