Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Anyone got a Huawei 4G/5G router?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I get a solid 4G connection on mine but I know I’m very close to 5G coverage
    I’m thinking an external antenna maybe on a pole to give it some height might work
    Anyone else tried this? Any recommended antenna?

dc2.0

Had one imported from China. See my old eBay add for my experience with it (not a stealth advert as it’s sold)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huawei-5G-CPE-Win-H312-371-5G-4G-exterior-modem-router-/164985451187?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

ta11pau1

Ditched my fixed line broadband (FTTC of 25-30mbps with Vodafone) in January and have been very happy with my 5G Three broadband since.

You need to find out where your 5g mast is, you can do this via multiple methods, the easiest being to check the coverage maps, the mast will be in the middle of a dark pink area, then using Google Street View or the old eyeball, try and find the mast. You can also look through planning permissions to find any recent applications for a monopole to be installed.

I’m currently 900m from my 5g mast, but much lower down and blocked by houses and trees. I get a solid 100mbps, 14ms ping, and sometimes up to 200mbps download. You have to play with the router positioning, 5g doesn’t like walls, or metal window frames, so lifting it up 20cm into the middle of a window for example can make a big difference.

I’m moving to a new house tomorrow, three’s coverage maps give no signal, and I’m 2.4km from the same mast I connect to currently, so if you believe the myths, anything over 1000m away and you won’t get a signal…

Downstairs I’m seeing 160mbps with no fine tuning of the router. Upstairs I’m seeing 270-300mbps download speeds. The reason? Almost perfect line of sight to the mast, with the house being in the highest point in the town, higher than the mast. If the tree branches blow in the right direction I can actually see the mast 2.4km away.

There’s a new mast being built 300m away, again with line of sight so I’m looking forward to a big increase in speeds once that one goes live and I relocate the router.

FTTC fixed line broadband at the new house would be around 50mbps with no other options.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Huawei 4G/5G router?’ is closed to new replies.