• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by PhilO.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone got a good low level Brecon route?
  • scud
    Free Member

Hi

Off to Bike Park Wales on saturday and had planned a decent route up and over Pen y Fan for the sunday, but weather isn’t looking too great unsurprisingly, anyone recommend a low level 15-20 mile route if the weather is bad, we are going to be based in Bargoed?

Thanks

nickjb
    Free Member

The four waterfalls walk is really nice. Might even be improved by extra water:). Bit of a drive from there though, also quite a bit less than 15 miles but there are other trails in the area to extend it.

welshfarmer

walking or MTBing?

timber

The canal? Lot of pubs to stop at between Crickhowell and Brecon.

scud
    Free Member

Thanks, looking for a good MTB route in bad weather, we were going to do The Gap, but it will very exposed looking at it if weather is shite.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Go to Afan

PhilO
    Free Member

Go to Afan

From Bargoed, Cwmcarn would be easier.

TBH, the forecast looks OK to me, so I’d stick with the Gap. In poorer weather, there’s this one: https://www.scribd.com/document/486578052/Mynydd-How-You-Go which isn’t exactly low-level but is less exposed than the Brynwr Tramroad. I’d do it as a figure-8 though, going straight from Pt 5 to pt 9 and do the NE loop clockwise.

There’s also the Sarn Helen road running SW from Brecon past the Nat Park Visitor centre towards Ystradfellte, but that’s difficult to turn into a loop.

And if you don’t mind driving to Ytradfellte, there’s https://www.fetcheveryone.com/route-1718130 which I’ve done twice in the foulest of weather, but doesn’t really answer the ‘low level’ part of the brief!

Finally, there are quite a few low-level sustrans paths criss-crossing the Valleys, which can make a pleasant day out if you sate your appetite for technical riding on the Saturday. 🙂

IdleJon

There’s also the Sarn Helen road running SW from Brecon past the Nat Park Visitor centre towards Ystradfellte, but that’s difficult to turn into a loop.

You’d probably need an aqualung to ride it after this rain. It’s boggy in the middle of a dry summer.

scud
    Free Member

THanks PhilO – that gives a few more options thanks – we’re travelling over from Norfolk, so everything over 100m sea-level is high ground for us….

PhilO
    Free Member

we’re travelling over from Norfolk

That being the case, and much as I like to plug the attractions of my adoptive home area, another option would be to visit FoD on the return journey…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.