Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone got a Giant Toughroad?
  • Premier Icon markrh
    Free Member

Looking at getting one of these to replace my bodged from a mountain bike to gravel bike that i’ve knocking about on for the last 4 years. Any first hand impressions of these or similar alternatives around the £1000-1500 price bracket would be appreciated. Oh, and hydraulic brakes are a must, had enough of fettling cable disks…

Premier Icon damascus
    Free Member

Which model? Straight or drop bars?

Premier Icon kennyp

I have one and I love it. Handles most off road stuff pretty well. It has brakes that are a mix of hydraulic and cable. They are okay but not brilliant and wheels are a wee bit heavy but on the other hand are pretty robust. Think I paid around £800 for it. Overall a great bike though. I ride cut more than any of my other bikes.

Premier Icon markrh
    Free Member

Drop bar version damascus.
    Thanks Kennyp, thats useful info.

Premier Icon tenfoot

If KennyP is talking about Giant’s Conduct brake system, I installed it on my Arkose, as the stock brakes were rubbish. I’ve been really pleased with the system. Much better than mechanical disc systems.

Premier Icon Inbred456
    Free Member

Been looking at one of these Vs a Cannondale Tiagra Topstone. Merlin Malt GX Apex1 looks good value.

Premier Icon dai3015
    Free Member

I had a toughroad. Brilliant bike. Unfortunately, I have/had shoulder problems so struggled with drop bars so have got a flat bar version now.
    The drop version makes a fantastic all rounder. I found the frame really comfortable and compliant even though it’s aluminium and the beauty is that you can fit whopping 29er tyres in it and make it a monster cross bike.
    I had 700 x 50c clement tyres in mine and it rode brilliantly

Premier Icon markrh
    Free Member

Thanks dia3015, exactly the feedback I was hoping for after reading the specs of the bike, sounds like just what i’m looking for.

Premier Icon dove1

My wife has a 2019 Toughroad SLR 1. It’s the flat bar version and she loves it.
    It’s a very good bike IMO. Fast enough on the road with the tyres pumped up hard and very capable on single track, fire roads, etc with the tyre pressure dropped for a bit of extra grip and cushioning. It is basically a rigid MTB.
    Shimano hydraulic brakes, 2×10 Deore gears and came with front and rear pannier racks. Got it for £875 in a sale and is great value.

The drop bar GX versions have slightly different geometry, primarily in reach and head angle but I can’t imagine them being any less capable.

Giant have now released alloy versions of the Revolt. For your budget I’d have a serious look at one of those as well. A Revolt 0 with 105 brakes and gears is not to be sniffed at.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.