Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone got a German Shorthaired Pointer
  • Nickquinn293
    Free Member

I've been wanting one of these for a long time and now I'm close to getting a pup sorted out for July time.

Researched quite a bit on them but interested to hear owners experiences/stories/advice etc?

Ta

kevonakona
    Free Member

Had two, great dogs, need a lot of running tho.

swavis

Have got two now. Superb dogs, very loyal and good natured. They're currently laying at my feet having climbed Sgor Gaoith today, so yeah they do need and will take a lot of excersise. Also need a firm hand as if you give them an inch they'll take a yard 😉

iDave
    Free Member

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

Ta – and LOL at iDave!

DezB
    Free Member

Ours is brilliant with kids, people, other dogs. Need a lot of space to run around in and when out is constantly on the hunt for birds, rabbits, anything! A great trail dog.
    Hope:

Big-M
    Free Member

I owned one about 10-12 years ago. Great dog, loved coming out with me on the bike, he'd gallop off thrashing through the woods then stick his head out the trees or bushes check I was there then off he'd go again. Once caught a phesant!

They're good natured, loyal and friendly dogs, though need alot of running.

RustySpanner

Do you know how hard it was to find one that WASN'T Hitler? 🙂

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Anyone for a STW "Downfall" parody?

Or has it been done already?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Got one and he's great but does need at least 45min decent exercise a day, like rolling in fox crap, catches baby birds in the woods and runs off with them in his mouth (they don't come back!), eats blummin anything left lying around- eg 2 mobiles, remote control, daughters brand new £90 doll!

Would I have another – probably- brilliant trail hound- eats up singletrack and puts a smile on my face watching him in full flow

DezB
    Free Member

didn't get a chance to post this earlier, but… bit of balance…

..we didn't own ours from a puppy, so the first 6 months was a nightmare of stolen food, lost dog during walks, constant pulling on the lead and almost weekly dog shit in the house.
    They need dominating with a capital D! Mrsdezb still has to put up with the pulling on the lead. We still would have stolen food, but we've adapted to it (apart from the time I came back from a ride to find the slow cooker in bits on the floor and no remaining trace of the delicious smelling stew !)
    Not saying none of this would happen when owning from a puppy, but I'm sure a lot of the behavior can be nipped in the bud.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Mine found the remains of a bbq this morning in the woods and tucked in heartily to all sorts of rubbish before he would come back to me- I think it's the wife's turn for shovel duty on the patio tomorrow 😉

BermBandit
    Free Member

Sorry … wrong thread, 😳 read the title and assumed it was a euphemism

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a German Shorthaired Pointer’ is closed to new replies.