Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • anyone got a Garmin ETREX, and use it for cycling?
  • freeagent
    Free Member

looking to get a Garmin for the bike –
    It’ll be used for both road and MTB, I don’t need all the ANT+ HRM inputs, but I would like colour mapping, the ability to input/down load a route, and the ability to download OS style maps.

I’d been looking at the Edge touring, but the ETREX units are slightly cheaper, have replaceable batteries (big bonus) and can be used for other stuff (am an explorer scout leader)

(the edge touring also has mixed reviews – which don’t exactly inspire confidence)

any experiences?

zigzag69
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/garmin-etrex-10-is-it-good-enough-to-be-able-to

Probably worth a read. If you don’t need ANT/HRM then etrex 20 is the one.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’ve used an old Etrex summit for years. It doesn’t have mapping, but it was good for navigating using the course line.

So one with maps should be fine.

I plot routes on Tracklogs and drop them onto the etrex, easy peaty and pretty cheap. You could probably use some free mapping stuff too.

blindboy
    Free Member

i use the etrex 30, set it to rechargeable batteries, I have 2 sets one set usually does a big day

Vortexracing

I have a set of OS 1:50K maps for the UK that I bought for my Etrex 20 if you want a copy just mail me

Email in profile

freeagent
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies – Cotswold Outdoor have the ETREX 20 for £135 at the moment – which seems to good to pass up on…

andytherocketeer

use an eTrex Vista HCx all the time. on the bike, walking, geocaching occasionally, …
    not the fastest these days, but it does the job, with free OSM maps, and the AA batteries are certainly a bonus.

samej
    Free Member

I’ve got an etrex 20 which is pretty good. The AA batteries was the main thing for me. It’s quite chunky and there is no fancy mount which holds it in front of the bars like the bike specific ones have. The bike mount I have is pretty awful, like this, and I have to use a cable tie to keep the etrex attached to it!! Online reviews seem to suggest there are plenty of people who don’t have any problems with it so perhaps I have a dodgy one. I got some free maps from TalkyToaster, and use gmap to create routes as gpx files. If there was a better bike mount I’d be very happy.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Etrex 20 and os 1:50 when I want to find my way. Mounts not pretty but it’s secure.

What it won’t do very well is record where you’ve been ( ie no use for strava)

butcher

I use an Etrex 20 and it’s perfect for finding your way around. As a navigational device, it’s excellent.

I’m not sure where this is coming from? Never had any problems with mine at all.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The bike mount I have is pretty awful, like this, and I have to use a cable tie to keep the etrex attached to it!!

Nope mine is shit and I have to do the same

unklebuck
    Free Member

The bike mount I have is pretty awful

My etrex 30 went bouncing along a main road on its second outing and then spent a night in the bushes on one of my local trails after it launched itself from a proper Garmin bar mount. Fortunately I found it the next day but it now has a lanyard as additional security.

It is pretty good with the TalkyToaster maps, the batteries last well and it seems pretty rugged!

timba
    Free Member

Etrex 30 here. Absolutely fine for road and MTB
    You can put contact details in that display while the unit switches on (mine’s bounced off the Garmin handlebar mount too!), as has been said, loop a lanyard around the bars.
    MicroSD card is really useful, and you can back your mobile phone up to it
    No problems with Strava
    Altitude readings are a bit variable, my regular commute can vary by 200′ overall, but this might be to do with where the satellites happen to be
    Plenty of free maps around

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Etrex 30 here with talkytoaster maps. Used for cycling and walking and very good. Can plot routes on Gpad using Viewranger ang transfer with an on the go lead.The only problem I have found is that the compass needs calibrating regularly and the maps don’t give full resolution until zoomed right in. Waterproof and very tough

zigzag69
    Free Member

Works great with Strava. Save current track when finished, connect to PC and upload the GPX file – use the file upload option in Strava and browse to the GPX folder.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies – Cotswold Outdoor have the ETREX 20 for £135 at the moment – which seems to good to pass up on…

Go Outdoors price match less 10%, got an etrex 30 that way for the same price.

edward2000
    Free Member

OP. I have an unused Etrex 30, still boxed in its original packaging. I haven’t advertised it yet, but if you make me an offer via email I will definitely consider it! It was a gift which I didn’t need as I already have a gps.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve got the etrex 20 purely because it uses AAs making it more practical for long trips.

It’s not the nicest of screens but it works. One notable problem is that the cycle mount self-ejects. At speed. Add a lanyard type thing or similar.

Works great with Strava. Save current track when finished, connect to PC and upload the GPX file – use the file upload option in Strava and browse to the GPX folder.

Have you actually tried that? I was under the impression that when the route is saved it gets simplified. What I do is upload the current route which works fine with strava.

One crap feature is the gpx gets stored on the device and there is no way to move it to the memory card making uploading via a phone a challenge. Phones that support usb on the go let you plug the gps into the phone via a cable though, which is what I do.

jerrys
    Free Member

I use an old Garmin eTrex Venture Cx, with a quick detachable RAM mount. Works a treat but not the cheapest mount (about £25).

bigjim

got an etrex20 for £70 on one of those amazon deals, works fine and works fine with strava. battery life is fantastic.

andytherocketeer

One crap feature is the gpx gets stored on the device and there is no way to move it to the memory card

don’t know about the newer etrexes (20, 30), but on the older Vista HCx, you just set some setting somewhere, and it automatically saves to the device AND the SD card.
    Only “crap” bit there is that it only supports 255 files in the root filesystem, so if you don’t tidy it up, one day it will record nothing because it can’t create a new file (it stores 1 file per day).
    copy via USB like any other USB stick, or pop out the microSD and pop it in a device of your choosing.

timba
    Free Member

@5thElefant

Use Garmin’s BaseCamp on your pc and connect the Etrex via a USB cable
    Choose the Mass Storage option (on the Etrex screen)
    The Etrex will appear under “Devices” in BaseCamp

Click on “Internal Storage” and your ridden routes will appear in the pane below (also called Internal Storage)

Right-click the route you want and then left-click “Send to…”, followed by “Memory Card” (give your pc time to find the memory card if it’s not there) and “OK”

Navigate to the memory card/Garmin/GPX your *.gpx will be there with the title “Track”. You can upload it to Strava as a file from there

It’s less faff and less time-consuming than it sounds 🙂

HTH

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yeah, but if you just want to pull the card and stick it in your phone to upload that won’t work. Hence the need for usb otg. Which makes the process the same as on a pc, just open file manager and look for the gpx.

Mackem

Used an etrex 20 – great GPS – great screen – but as a “bike GPS” it was a pain in the arse for lazy sods like me. The bike ones, the Edges, you can start a new ride with a reset and a press of start, with the etrex you need to get rid of the previous ride.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘anyone got a Garmin ETREX, and use it for cycling?’ is closed to new replies.