Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone got 4G on their mobile? Is it worth it?
  • Superficial
    Free Member

I need a new phone, in the same way as I need another bike, which is to say I want one. Probably an iPhone 5s. Anyhow, everyone seems to be offering these new 4G contracts, does anyone have anything to say about them?

I get it: 4G is faster. It’s also a lot more expensive. I find 3G to be perfectly fast enough if I get good signal, the only times it’s slow is when the signal drops off to Edge data or GPRS, which makes me think that 4G (with even-more-limited coverage) is probably pointless, for me at least.

Anyone care to prove me wrong? Tell me why I should pay more.

mikertroid
    Free Member

3G would be nice, let alone 4G!

hilldodger
    Free Member

I went from 3G to 4G with EE as it was upgrade time, my monthly rate actually went down due to being a “valued customer” 😀

And yes, it’s noticably faster with better reception (depending where you live of course)

wwaswas

Yes, EE 4g is pretty much like using wi-fi in the areas where it’s available.

They phoned me and offered to change me to it for free on my current contract.

z1ppy

M8 went to 4G with EE becuase he got an Iphone5, & loves it… can watch proper videos on it, no stuttering. That said he will be dumping EE asap, as he said there coverage just is plain rubbish (“Everyting No-where”).
    Check out the lower part of this thread for similar comments.

Superficial
    Free Member

So do you think that 4G has better reception than 3g? That might be a reason to entertain the idea.

EE is significantly more expensive for a new contract with 4G compared to T-mobile/3G (essentially the same company/network).

Potter
    Free Member

if you go with three then the 4g is just given to you for the same price as a normal 3g contract so its no more expensive,just left apple after 6 years and gone to a nexus 5 on three so so much better phone and coverage than 02 and way cheaper too
    there 4g rolls out in december by the way

Milkie
    Free Member

No 4G around here… 3G would be nice, why don’t they sort that first!?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I find 3G to be perfectly fast enough if I get good signal, the only times it’s slow is when the signal drops off to Edge data or GPRS, which makes me think that 4G (with even-more-limited coverage) is probably pointless, for me at least.

This pretty much sums it up for me. I was on Vodafone but moved to Three just to get a decent 3G signal. I can happily stream iplayer content over Three 3G which is about as much bandwidth as I need when not at home. And on Three I’ll apparently get 4G for no extra cost when they roll it out.

I’ve played around with Vodafone’s 4G/LTE and it is very impressive but I just don’t need that sort of bandwidth on my phone when out and about (if I’m home or office I’ve got wifi.) And definitely not for the premium they charge! Though Vodafone 3G is awful and I think most of the investment is going into 4G.

Superficial
    Free Member

Three are only rolling out to London, Manchester and Birmingham. I’m not sure when they’ll get 4G in Sheffield – before the end of 2014 is all they say.

Which is fine, although I don’t think Three’s iPhone contracts work out as cheap as other brands (including EE who obviously have 4G from the off).

mrblobby
    Free Member

All networks will get there in the next year or two (and none of them can afford to be too far behind the others.)

I’d definitely get a 4G phone but I’d not be bothered if I didn’t have 4G coverage for a while. Only time I’d really use the bandwidth is maybe on a pad or when running a wifi hotspot for the computer… but with current tariffs that can get expensive pretty quickly.

Currently happy with 3G bandwidth on Three (was not happy with woeful infrequent 3G on Vodafone.)

I guess if you have crap 3G then try another networks 3G. If you have good 3G and just need more bandwidth while on the move then have a look at who does 4G in your area.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i work away in London, its fantastic down here, faster than the wifi in our office. doesnt work in Bury tho.

kedmun
    Free Member

if you go with three then the 4g is just given to you for the same price as a normal 3g contract so its no more expensive,just left apple after 6 years and gone to a nexus 5 on three so so much better phone and coverage than 02 and way cheaper too
    there 4g rolls out in december by the way

Agreed – I find Three’s 3G speeds exceptional actually. I tether to my laptop to browse internet and stream videos and never had any issues at all. Unlimited data with 3000 texts & 200 mins for £12.90 a month.

And as Potter mentions, free 4G to their customers (no change in contract) when they roll it out. I have a Samsung S3 LTE (4G compatible) and it’s awesome, highly recommend it.

There was a great article a whole ago (can’t find it sorry) about 4G and how EE have been charging people ridiculous sums of money for measly sums of data – there are always people out there willing to spend their dosh on it though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

At least VF don’t seem to be charging any extra for their sim only 4G over 3G, and look to be marginally cheaper than EE. Be interesting if Three are good to their word and offer the “all you can eat” sim only on 4G for the current 3G price of 15 quid a month (VF are 26 quid for 6GB with a current promotion.)

Drac

GRS would be nice let alone E or 3G.

Vodafone great for voice shite for Data but apparently it’s my phone settings.

Potter
    Free Member

I’m on a 1 month contract with three sim only £12.90 a month all you can eat data with 4g added when available

monkeychild
    Free Member

3G would be rather good here. If I stand upside down and wiggle about a bit, I can occasionally get it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got 4G on their mobile? Is it worth it?’ is closed to new replies.