Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone good at understanding contract wording?
  • meeeee
    Free Member

Would anyone help read a 2 side of A4 gym contract for me?

My wife signed up for a gym membership hoping it would help inspire her to get regular exercise to help with her anxiety and depression. Unfortunately it hasn’t and she doesn’t have confidence going there so wants to cancel it. As far as I can tell she’s done the minimum period (12 months) but she signed up at a discount rate for 3 years. There’s mention of a penalty for cancellation before the minum time, but in the ‘minimum term’ box it just says 12 months so it looks like she can now cancel.

They will only speak to her about it and as she’s quite down and lacking confidence I just wanted to check it out to see if it looks like she can cancel before she contacts them.

I’ve only got photos of the 2 pages so if anyone with reasonable understanding of this stuff wouldn’t mind me emailing it to them to check it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

poly
    Free Member

From what you wrote it sounds like it should be fine to quit.  A “penalty” is potentially an unfair contract term anyway, and I’d have thought any gym term over 12 months would also be considered unenforceable if they were arsey.  Even if you had the opinion of a dozen barristers all saying you are right, it doesn’t stop them having a different understanding so usually the easiest way to find out their interpretation is just to tell them (she can do that in writing, and you can just write a brief letter that all she need do is sign if she agrees).

meeeee
    Free Member

Thanks. Yeah a letter would be easier so I’ll do a ‘nice’ (ie not arsey) letter for her just saying the minimum term has passed and she wants to give her months notice of cancellation. Then see what happens. I’ll stick a copy of the contract in with it and the 12 months bit highlighted.

batfink
    Free Member

Contract wording aside – it will get actioned by a human being, so it might be worth mentioning the reason that she’s cancelling – ie: medical grounds.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Also cancel the de56 so they can take no further payment.

wrightyson
    Free Member

The de56 should have read direct debit 🤔

nealglover
    Free Member

I did exactly this when my hip got too bad to make it worth going.

They tried to make it as difficult as possible, the right person was never in, “I can’t deal with cancellations, you need to speak to …” so I dropped off a letter at reception addressed to “the Manager”

just said that I was cancelling due to ongoing medical issues, and my direct debit would be cancelled after the next payment. (Make sure you do cancel it)

I didn’t hear anything back from them at all.

poolman
    Free Member

Yes just be ultra polite and cite the medical issue.  It will be dealt with by a human used to other clients being rude and telling porkies.  Sound a valid reason to leave with no penalties.  Good luck btw

IHN

I dropped off a letter at reception addressed to “the Manager”

just said that I was cancelling due to ongoing medical issues, and my direct debit would be cancelled after the next payment. (Make sure you do cancel it)

This is exactly what I would do.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Aside from the contract stuff,

hoping it would help inspire her to get regular exercise to help with her anxiety and depression

Riding bikes would be better than a gym for this. Though it doesn’t work for everyone. Out in the countryside that is, and some benefit from group riding or with friends, some just getting out on a solo ride. Riding with their other half though from what I’ve seen may cause arguments 😀 , but some get on really well if they both enjoy it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone good at understanding contract wording?’ is closed to new replies.