Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone gone from 160/170mm to 180mm fork travel?
  • jjwprestidge
    Free Member

My Lyriks need a service and the new Debonair spring looks like it might be worth sticking in them. Thinking of upping the travel to 180mm from 170mm. Wondering whether it’s worth doing.

I ride fairly technical stuff – BPW blacks and reds, natural stuff on the Mendips and the blacks and reds at Wind Hill; I don’t generally feel over-biked with my Nukeproof Mega, and regularly use almost all of the travel.

So, is it worth doing?

JP

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Went from 160 on the rear to 180 recently, I couldn’t ride my bike like a DH bike before- eg going heavy through the pedals and just outright ploughing it through a rock garden letting the rear do the work…..now I can…anyway….160 to 180mm on the fork fs probably similar….170 to 180 is not quite so noticeable though

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Yes.

Worth doing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and regularly use almost all of the travel.

Does the bike feel settled like that? It’s only another 10mm so maybe you could sit in it a little more

ndthornton
    Free Member

I recently built up a Mondraker Dune (160) with 180 Lyric forks. Works really well.

I also have a 140mm Liteville 301 with 160mm Pikes.

I don’t see any reason not to max out your forks. There is no weight penalty and it doesn’t make the bike Wallow like too much rear travel can. Head angle becomes a tad slacker.

Basically more is better with forks.

jjwprestidge
    Free Member

Cheers.

I’ll probably go for it then.

JP

timbog160

Amazing – a consensus – based on what you say you do it’ll be well worth it.!

nickfrog
    Free Member

I always thought 160mm was probably too much for a fork. I then tried it on an aggro HT and then on the Foxy which should be on 140mm. It just improves the bike and doesn’t create any downsides that I can think of. So adding some more providing the geo emains acceptable is likely to be a good move.

joebristol

Not sure if you’ll notice the 10mm extra travel but you’ll definitely notice the debonair aspect of the new airshaft. I’ve got a 170mm Yari ( well it started life as a  160mm Yari) that now has the new airshaft and a charger 2 damper and it’s epic.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone gone from 160/170mm to 180mm fork travel?’ is closed to new replies.