Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anyone going to the UK Gravity Enduro Round 5 at Afan?
  • getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’ll be there, I just wondered who else will be. Some of the new trails have just been dug for it 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

new trails + rain (it is in wales remember) = mudfest!

after 2 enduro mudfests already this year, i reckon i’m allowed to sit this one out…

dave360

I’ll be there. Probably on me Commencal. And also in the Adria Twin camper. Come a knockin getonyour and I’ll put the kettle on. Not unless its rockin obviously.

ah – it’ll be great. In fact the indian summer will make it too hot and the dust will be a right pain.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Dave– Pic of the van to look out for and I’ll come and visit if I see you.

dave360

here y’go

trusz
    Free Member

I’m going. Not sure why I’m paying £60 to ride Afan. Must be mad. Latest weather forecast looks fekkin horrendous too :/

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’ll try to remember to look out for you, Dave. 🙂

boobs

I’m going, I’m going to camp under your camper! After watching Danny Hart in the rain I have convinced myself it must be easy as he’s only 20! Not sure if I own enough clothes to ride for 2 days in the wet.
    See you all there

dave360

See you there men. I’ve just been given a gunmetal greytastic Pivot 5.7 test bike from the nice chaps at Upgrade, so say hi if you see me on it. I might even let you have a go.

Carpediem
    Free Member

It’s been raining 3 days solid in Afan.

Y Wall drains really well mind, and new trails have dense forest cover.
    Very rooty and off camber 😉

dave360

BRING IT

fbk
    Free Member

Done the other 4 but can’t make this one unfortunately 🙁
    Some of the new tracks they’ve put in/uncovered look like fun. Gutted I can’t make it.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

See all you slackers in a few hours 😛

mtbbaker
    Free Member

I’ll be there for my first Gravity Enduro…shame its the last one of the season!
    I’ll be on a Black Orange 5 looking like a downhiller that got lost into a Enduro event!

Alex

martinh
    Free Member

Only made 2 of the series and had hoped to make Afan but going to be away instead. Next year I must plan better

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I was there today. The fella next to Steve Parry on the registration kept banging on about Stage 2 and dont go too fast. I thought i’d try it before the qualifier. Needless to say it was a sh1tfest. Theres mud and theres mud…..

dave360

Totally ACE. Good to meet you getonyour. How did you get er…on?

Stage 2 – yes well. Slithered and generally rode like a knob down and across it in practice, anguished about it overnight, wondering what the biblical torrent was going to do to it. But in the end, I manned up and just rode it. In fact the wetness made it easier. Well, a bit. And I even got the wheels to leave the ground for the photographer.

Overall, the event was totally ACE. Perversely, and with the benefit of a half bottle of wine inside me, the weather added to the epicness.
    I LOVE THIS RACE FORMAT.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Good to meet you too, Dave. I got on alright:
    Stage 1- I was riding pretty well but went straight into one of those rocks on the apex of the corners and went sliding down the side of the hill 😆
    Stage 2- Went shocking bad, I should have down a video, ‘How not to ride a mountain bike in the mud’
    Stage 3- I was fairly happy with this, it’s quite pedally and I’m good at that but I suffered from arm pump quite a bit.
    Stage 4- Even more arm pump and I couldn’t put the power down when I wanted to on some bits because I couldn’t get traction on the wet loosish rocks. It was a really fun stage, though.
    Stage 5- I was pretty dang happy with this stage too, I did really well on the pedally bit and took a bit line thorugh the rock garden.

There were 5 of us in the under 18 category and I didn’t really stand a chance tbh, two of them had nearly 4 years on me and had AM full suses, the other two had around 2 years on me, were both sponsored and were also on AM bikes. I’m happy with how I did considering I’ve only been riding 9 months now, was about 2 years younger than anybody else there and was the only rider on a hardtail (I think).

I hung around for the presentation anyway and they were giving away freebies. I got a Fenwick’s mug and a bottle of All Conditions Lube but the really good bit was later…

The Mountain Bike Chalet were sponsors and were giving away a week’s guided, catered week in a chalet in Les Arcs to 13th place in each category. There weren’t 13 people in my category but he gave it to me for being the only one in my category there at the time to ride more than one in the series and also for riding everything on a hardtail. So I’ve got a weeks holiday in teh Alps for next summer 😀

boobs

Dave were you in the “erhm” vets catagory, if so I was the giggling fool on the dark green Heckler. What a fab event!!

Getonyourbike nice cake!

We need race numbers!!

820 for me I’ll be near or at the bottom I guess

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I think they called the vets the, ahem, Zimmerframe category in the presntation 😛 😆

ctrl
    Free Member

Sounds like it was a great day out!

Just wondering what tracks were used for the event? I read somewhere ‘Windy Point’ from Whites Level was being used.

Was it just trail centre tracks or were some sections purposley built? 🙂

biga1
    Free Member

A natural section was used for stage two. Wall descent and the graveyard were also used.

Good couple of days despite the rain…

DVATC1
    Free Member

Great event again, prayed for rain…..(sorry), got it but it didnt slow everybody else down as I hoped it would. Stage 2 was by far the best, fell off, got held up twice and still managed to pass 6 riders. More please.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I really need to work on riding in the mud (and possibly snow) this winter as I was absolutely pathetic on stage 2 😳

boobs

Zimmerframe huh, still quicker than you youngster. 🙂

getonyourbike
    Free Member

boobs – Member

Zimmerframe huh, still quicker than you youngster. True but I’m getting faster, not slower 😛

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Anyone going to the UK Gravity Enduro Round 5 at Afan?’ is closed to new replies.