Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Anyone going to Charlies Gravel dash at the weekend?
  • GDRS

Good work charlie for mashing up two events on the same weekend. I just did the ss weekend and had a great time…..good to catch up with some familiar faces in both events……top pub stops……riding on the beach…..good cakes……doing it again next year?

Yak

Nice one Flashes and Cab. Cheering crowd just out of shot to the R 🙂

We were with you for a bit approaching Lulworth ranges. Couple on the singlespeeds – similar looking red jerseys. (married tweedle dee, tweedle dum approach…)

Dickyboy – nice one too! Not sure we left any dust..ahem! More like steady plodding, but luckily no mechanicals. Sounds like you had you fair share. Good packed beer garden cheer though on your return and well timed for Alan’s fatbike triumph! Cheers again Charlie and co.

flashes
    Free Member

Yes, on One and Singular (?). you could have gone for matching bikes. but very good route and my shoes are nearly dry……………

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Yak

that’s us!
    Matching bikes? That would break the standard house rule of Mrs Yak’s bikes being nicer than mine 😉

nedrapier

Think we saw you fairly early on on Sunday, Mr & Mrs Yak? We were 4 cross bikes (2 singulars) a hire 29er and an Orange? Some chat about starting slow? You did better than us!

nedrapier

We took an extra-social route on the first day: Shop – campsite – Square and Compass – Scott Arms – Square and Compass – campsite.

I won the most exquisitely painful nettle stings I’ve ever had the fortune to experience, from a patch of max strength post-rain stingers. The result of an overly optimistic attempt to trials it up a steep little section of narrow, rocky, slimy path with a nettley drop to the right. I tottered on the brink for quite a while before I succumbed to gravity, falling in stages, backwards down the slope, at each pause thinking “I can rescue this!”.

Nope. I went deep. Full coverage on the backs of both calves and right forearm. The venom worked itself down overnight past where I’d been actually stung and I woke up with pins and needles round my ankles and down the outside of my feet into my toes. Mmm-Mmmm. Still itchy.

Sunday was great, we started together (if not last off, then pretty close) as a mixed group of new and old friends from different places, not all up for the full 100. We thought we’d figure out somewhere to part ways up the trail, but decided pretty quickly that we’d rather stick together and have a lovely day out than split up.

We cemented the deal by leaving the route and stopping at the first cream tea shop that we found open – Past and Presents (great name!) by Lulworth Castle.

The rebranded “Cream Tea Dawdle” then took us down to the beach at Lulworth Cove for stone throwing; up and over to the Sailors Return for pints, sandwiches, puncture repairs and chainring flipping, then back east on some absolutely primo trails – churny porridge in the woods, silage farmyards, first tracks push to re-establish a BW across a freshly ploughed field. Sarnies and snoozing under a tree, then back up over the top for some fun riding over and down to Corfe Castle. Breakfast baps, beer and teapot impressions in the Model Village courtyard where we said goodbye to David, over to the Square and Compass for a couple more before pootling back to the campsite. Quick change, then down to the pub to take ourselves off the Dead List. Curry.

Well done everybody, especially Charlie and the Mongerettes, Gee for a pretty incredible showing Saturday and Sunday, and all the riders who went the distance.

numplumz
    Free Member

prizes surely go to the third placed guy who cycled down there from Northampton, won a pair of rims which he now has strapped to either side of his front wheel ready for the return trip but had managed to rearrange his face after riding into a tree on the campsite after a few beers

what kind of idiot was that 😀

Friday night firepit and beers was cool, and the food, oh! just superb thanks Ladies.

Great event, fun route, the dice with the CX boys on my BurlyCross setup was ace fun. trying to gap them enough on the downhills before they powered past on the flat sections. Finishing in a pub was brilliant, such a great welcome for all the finishers, and good ale.
    Nice to meet some of you guys there, nice one Charlie.

Me and rims got home OK,if a little wet. Now I’m destroyed.

Argonaut
    Free Member

Jack you made it back, amazing effort along with the scars to prove it!
    Ditto, cheers to Charlie for putting on a top event. Hope to be back next year.

flashes
    Free Member

Anyone know where the ride pics are posted, I’m interested to see if my gurning on the last hill up from Harry’s Rock made the final edit.

Charlie, this has to happen next year……..

GDRS

Hey I forgot to ask this on sat / sun but did anyone log / strava the ss weekend routes? Nice routes for a pootle on another occasion and I don’t quite trust my memory to replicate on an o/s map. Cheers.

charliedontsurf

http://road.cc/content/feature/124434-one-foot-gravel-dorset-gravel-dash

That’s a good link from Jo Burt, and Paul errington blogged it at alpkit too.

Just had a stupid idea… Iceland has a road around its coast, its not Tarmac… Iceland gravel dash 1000?

scandalous
    Free Member

Doing the ride with a few people from the bear bones forum at the end of this month if anyone fancies it.

Del

that is a stupid idea.
    nice write up for an event i rubbed up against. 😉
    you got any ‘kills a kitten’ stickers left? i need a couple…

epicyclo

charlie the bikemonger – Member
    …Just had a stupid idea… Iceland has a road around its coast, its not Tarmac… Iceland gravel dash 1000?

Suitably bonkers. Yes please.

scandalous
    Free Member

Would be allowed under my 1 international epic a year rule!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well if this could happen again later this year I’m deffo IN. 8)

The Iceland 1000 sounds on the face of it a bit of a challenge to do in a day, dunno just think out loud 😆

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Anyone going to Charlies Gravel dash at the weekend?’ is closed to new replies.